Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Old 11-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jerz616
Hey Cole were you running any ECS shafts or just kit shafts. I wonder if AWD was running kit or ECS. Trying to figure out what to get.
I'm running the stock ones too , just grease them well. By the way I'm Gilbert Santos the guy with the Orange and white splash t4. I ran it last Thursday. The car will do just fine with the stocks because the steering angle was reduced from previous models making the axles less susceptible to binding.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
Unsettling to see the xray block system is still giving people headaches.
EXOTEK I have a mission for you
He has a bent hinge pin and is trying to work with it
Old 11-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jerz616
Yes. The ECS not ESC. I had a bout of dyslexia last night. So the stock drives seem to be fine? No chatter or anything.
Havent checked for chatter, but the car feels great on track so have left them in (my ECS's are all heavily worn anyway )
Old 11-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
That's too bad. According to the article by Hudy, their whole goal when lowering everything in the car was to reduce traction roll.

I thought my T3'12 was the least prone to traction roll of any car I'd ever driven. Mostly because it never turned, but hey...
It's not the car, it was the setup and tire combo :-) I was driving 10.5T blinky with Sorex 28 tired and tried the outer hole in the front. The grip was high in some corners and I had traction roll if I was wild with my steering wheel. After using the medium position, the traction roll was completely gone.

You can make any car traction roll with the "right" (read wrong) setup.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Drove my T4 for the first time with a modified motor (LRP X12 5.5T) and the car was good! With the Sorex 28 tires I used in the morning, my car was very aggressive on the steering around the noon when the grip came up. When I switched to Ride 32 tires, the steering wasn't that aggressive anymore, but my overal steering also went down.

I'm thing of fitting a softer front spring or also using the progressieve springs in the front. Anyone tried this?

And how do the ECS shafts compare to the stock shafts? When I'm about to go full lock, my rearend wants to break loose. I'm thinking that the car is breaking because of the extra resistance when you're close to full lock and that that is causing a lose rearend. Going from 1.5mm shims in the rear to 2mm shims calmed the rear down on turn in. I also tried 1mm but that was undriveable, however in 10.5T stock that worked pretty good.

So, do the ECS shafts make the car calmer on turn in? (I guess so, but I don't want to spend 80euros to find out) And how do the Spec R V2 axles hold up in modified racing?
Old 11-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

With all new motor mount design anyone have problem stripping spur gear im using 64 pitch and i dont have issues on 64 pitch on my 2012 .
Old 11-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
Unsettling to see the xray block system is still giving people headaches.
EXOTEK I have a mission for you
Originally Posted by Sean B.
He has a bent hinge pin and is trying to work with it
As Sean B said, I'm trying to work around a slightly bent pin, I don't have an issue with the block system that Xray uses and don't want this to be used as the basis for anyone's argument/discussion regarding their view on the blocks.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by morgoth
Drove my T4 for the first time with a modified motor (LRP X12 5.5T) and the car was good! With the Sorex 28 tires I used in the morning, my car was very aggressive on the steering around the noon when the grip came up. When I switched to Ride 32 tires, the steering wasn't that aggressive anymore, but my overal steering also went down.

I'm thing of fitting a softer front spring or also using the progressieve springs in the front. Anyone tried this?

And how do the ECS shafts compare to the stock shafts? When I'm about to go full lock, my rearend wants to break loose. I'm thinking that the car is breaking because of the extra resistance when you're close to full lock and that that is causing a lose rearend. Going from 1.5mm shims in the rear to 2mm shims calmed the rear down on turn in. I also tried 1mm but that was undriveable, however in 10.5T stock that worked pretty good.

So, do the ECS shafts make the car calmer on turn in? (I guess so, but I don't want to spend 80euros to find out) And how do the Spec R V2 axles hold up in modified racing?
Yes ecs driveshafts will make the steering much smoother, I don't run anything but them, my car always feels edgy with the standard shafts.

Progressive springs on the front? Funny enough, that's what adrian berstern is running when using sorex tyres. I've just ordered some to try.(2.5-2.8)
Old 11-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Had an opportunity to drive the T4 for the first time this weekend at the famous Tamiya track(former Reedy race of champions) in Alison Viejo, California. Much to my delight to find that this new chassis carries more corner speed than the previous. I set the car up to the asphalt set up attached to the manual except for 50 mm front shafts, and 1000 wt diff oil. As the sun came out and grip came up, I started to under steer slightly. Took out the 1 mm front shim under the inner front camber link for some forward bite which helped. I ran a used set of sorex 36 but I suspect had I started the day with a brand new set, my handling would have been much better. But still very happy with the new car. I usually run indoor tracks which are prepped so traction is much more consistent. A fellow racer was able to put his T4 on the front row for the main. He ran the the car box stock. Another few sessions and I'm Sure ill be able to find the sweet spot for the handling. Hope the optional springs will be out soon.

P.S. there is some light chattering without ecs axles.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by liteweight
With all new motor mount design anyone have problem stripping spur gear im using 64 pitch and i dont have issues on 64 pitch on my 2012 .
Yes, I've stripped 3 already. I wished they'll come up with a safety to prevent the motor from sliding in case on a heavy hit. I didn't crashed any harder than with my 009. Never happened with my. T2 009.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by morgoth
Personally, I don't run the ESCs. Granted I have only been running 17.5, but nonetheless I find the small pins on the ESCs relative to the standard joints result in accelerated wear and increased maintenance. I'd rather drive my car than maintain it. Also, and as expected I suppose, the ESCs have more play than the regular shafts (two joints instead of one). This compounds the wearing. Your choice though. A lot of people like them and I cannot provide a prospective on faster classes since I've only ran stock.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by samnelso
Personally, I don't run the ESCs. Granted I have only been running 17.5, but nonetheless I find the small pins on the ESCs relative to the standard joints result in accelerated wear and increased maintenance. I'd rather drive my car than maintain it. Also, and as expected I suppose, the ESCs have more play than the regular shafts (two joints instead of one). This compounds the wearing. Your choice though. A lot of people like them and I cannot provide a prospective on faster classes since I've only ran stock.
Sam,
You don't run a esc?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Man that's sad news. If there's a problem people need to come out so that it can be corrected. Thanks for being honest porsche over fanboyism.

Originally Posted by porsche928gs
Yes, I've stripped 3 already. I wished they'll come up with a safety to prevent the motor from sliding in case on a heavy hit. I didn't crashed any harder than with my 009. Never happened with my. T2 009.

Anyone run the Spec R V2 ecs? Wondering how when they hold up compared to the Xray ones.

Last edited by RCknight; 11-04-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Just finished building mine. As usual with Xray kits this one went together perfectly. No issues whatsoever. Now just to get the electronics put in, body painted, and get it on the track for some Thursday racing. Can't wait to see how it does.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by haywood
Sam,
You don't run a esc?
Wow! Maybe that's my problem

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.