Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Toe blocks will never happen per Xray. Simply not needed, more expensive to the end user and no performance advantage that they have found when testing them.

EA
That's too bad they want to make it more complicated than necessary. I'll take a bet that at least 50% of Xray owners would like them as a option.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

I agree Adrian, and that's my point. It would appear the T4 is a very stiff when seeing the nats setups.

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Why would you want a stiff car? They are less forgiving to drive and make it harder to find the setup sweet spot. The last few generations of sedans from every manufacturer have gotten more flexy and faster every time (T3 2012, 417X, BD7, TC6.1WC, Mi4CXL, TCXX, TF6) all of the top cars.

I would imagine the T4 is comparable to all these other top level cars as far as flex.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

There's no way to please everybody. It's like asking Subaru to make a non boxer style engine. They just don't make em. What works for one company may not work with others. Just accept the the fact that no matter how much you may plead for a certain feature, it may never come.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by RCknight
That's too bad they want to make it more complicated than necessary. I'll take a bet that at least 50% of Xray owners would like them as a option.
YES!
I have seen the little plastic mounts rotate and add friction to arm movement many times. Kinda why exotek makes the XR3 chassis...
Old 10-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kinga
Dont forget, it is a 2.2mm chassis in the t4, and the t3 2012 was 2.5 mm chassis. Despite it having less cutouts it still should be more flexible than the 2012 car
Yes that's what I thought, but the team drivers seem to be trying to get more flex. Look at how few screws they removed in the top deck and running split toe blocks in the front. I guess to get more steering from the limited 25 degree steering stop. lol I can't wait to get mine and starting messing around with it. Can't wait to build the new shocks.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

I was thinking, I would actually like to see battery strap cut outs on the electronics side. I would like to mess around with and test chassis flex left/right side. I would like to simulate the battery side flex. I think the new mount has potential to simulate it by putting one sided servo tape and removing the gap between the chassis and servo much like the battery.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
YES!
I have seen the little plastic mounts rotate and add friction to arm movement many times. Kinda why exotek makes the XR3 chassis...
If someone is crashing hard enough to do this they don't need different mounts or hop up chassis, they need really basic setup improvements for drive-ability and a whole lotta of track time/practice.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yes that's what I thought, but the team drivers seem to be trying to get more flex. Look at how few screws they removed in the top deck and running split toe blocks in the front. I guess to get more steering from the limited 25 degree steering stop. lol I can't wait to get mine and starting messing around with it. Can't wait to build the new shocks.
Couldnt you just run the servo link to the top of the steering rack arms like the 2012 car to get more steering throw and bypass the central steering rack connector?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You are confusing grip/steering with steering throw. If you are not getting around a corner with 25* of steering throw its not going to get around with 35* of throw and if it does you will be loosing so much corner speed from the massive tire scrub you wont be very fast.

You want to get the car to have lots of grip and steering so you can reduce your steering throw with your dual rate (often to less than 25*). This reduces tire slip/scrub and improves corner speed.

This comes through setup changes. Shock angles, springs, oil, roll centers, camber link angles/camber gain, sway bars, droop, down stops and even chassis flex.

Leaving out screws and split suspension mounts are small changes compared to other things like setting changes. It sounds like they were really close on the setup and wanted some subtle tweaks to get more speed.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

You won't find any team driver who spends their time using full lock in all but the most extreme cases. The fastest cars are the ones that use the least amount of lock to achieve their turn radius. The more lock you use the more tyre scrub is induced, the more scrub, the more friction, the more friction the slower the corner speed.

That's why if a lower end club racer tries the car of someone who's much faster they always find it almost undriveable and far too sensitive.

Skiddins

P.S. If you got the pivot ball system you are always going on about, that would reduce flex even more

Looks like AdrianM just beat me to a response

Last edited by Skiddins; 10-08-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: AdrianM posted before I'd finished
Old 10-08-2012, 04:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by AdrianM
If someone is crashing hard enough to do this they don't need different mounts or hop up chassis, they need really basic setup improvements for drive-ability and a whole lotta of track time/practice.
I used to agree with that , and I respect your opinion, but I have seen it in VTA on tracks with boards with SUPER slow barely rub the board and then loop. Then just loosen and re-tighten and bam back to normal. On a track with curbs I fully agree.

I only run full xray parts and just think it should be an option at least. I have won all but one, got hacked by a lapper, VTA race I have entered, I don't crash and I am not slow.....But I am not Paul L either
Not trying to brag but you need to know I am not some lap traffic banging around the track.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

have you measured 25 degrees of throw yet on your current car? I can pretty much promise you that no one uses that much throw anyway and more than that is not necessary at all. 95% of people out there cut their dual rate down to be able to drive their cars anyway.

EA
Old 10-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
Thanks for your feedback. So basically RW and Xray brand spur gears work without mods. Are there any other brands? The RW ones may be hard for me to get from my LHS, but the Xray brand ones only go down to 92T. I'll be racing 17.5 so a bit smaller spur will work better.
Dan,

47 pinion & 100 Spur is 4.05 FDR. 45 pinion & 96 Spur is 4.06 FDR. What do you run for a FDR for 17.5?
Old 10-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Default Chassis width

I see that the chassis for the T4 is 94mm wide on Xray's site, how much narrower than the '12 is it?
Old 10-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Everybody should get the opportunity to go to a big race, build a brand new kit, run it twice in 14 hours and then try to beat Ronald Volker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.