Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default re

Hi guys, this is Andrew Hardmans mechanic. I can assure those that are skeptical about the potential of the new car, that the T4 is superior to the T3'12 in many ways. We were only able to test the new car a couple days before flying out to the IIC and despite missing the first day of practice, the car allowed for us to get up to pace within two, 2 minute runs. In fact, leading up until the first qualifier, we had just 14 minutes of practice time.

At this point, we were running the T4 for Mod and the T3 for Superstock. After the last practice, I was unable to get the T3 to where I thought it should be so we made the decision to run the T4 in both classes as it was already setting competitive times and was much eaier to drive(as per Andrew). This meant I would be a little busier changing over electronics but in our eyes it was absolutely worth it. As you guys can see from the results, we were able to do quite well without having the luxury of having two cars to optimize for each class. Not to mention, during the morning practice, Andrew had a freak crash with lapped traffic(all classes running together in the morning ) and unfortunately it de-laminated the front of the chassis. I managed to glue it back together but I could not remove the tweak which meant I had to run less camber on one side to counteract the snap oversteer turning left. This caught Andrew out on many ocassions but thankfully he is a wheel and still put in some greats runs. I hope this does not sound like excuses but I wanted to highlight these "obstacles" to show just how good the car really is even when it was not 100%.

The chassis will have to remain for this weekends local race and I am confident it will still put up the times we know it is capable of.

I will post our setup from the IIC in a couple days for those interested but if you have any other questions, ask away.

Corey Whiteman
Old 10-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info. Did you have softer springs set available for the t4?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CoreyW.
Not to mention, during the morning practice, Andrew had a freak crash with lapped traffic(all classes running together in the morning ) and unfortunately it de-laminated the front of the chassis. I managed to glue it back together but I could not remove the tweak which meant I had to run less camber on one side to counteract the snap oversteer turning left. This caught Andrew out on many ocassions but thankfully he is a wheel and still put in some greats runs.

Corey Whiteman
I'm somewhat new racing touring cars..and maybe that could happen to any touring car...? but, one crash ruining a $113 chassis plate..that's somewhat frightening...
Old 10-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Tech Regular

That's not uncommon. I remember the first week of the t3 release many of them were ruin when ripped thru by the front arms pivot pin holders during a hard crash. I hot bonded new graphite layers on my friend's chassIs at that time.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

A well prepped chassis sealing will limit de-lamination. Just like the manual says, light sanding of the chassis edge and an even layer of CA glue. In fact, i like to put a radius around the chassis edge. That should do the trick. Not to say that Andrew Hardmans chassis wasn't prepped. I wouldn't sweat the de- lamination issue. I'm running a two year old, original 2011 chassis and haven't had any issues. Just don't rush the build and take time on the chassis sealing.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by eds24
I'm somewhat new racing touring cars..and maybe that could happen to any touring car...? but, one crash ruining a $113 chassis plate..that's somewhat frightening...
I notice you didn't highlight the "freak crash" part of the post

$h1t sometimes happens

Bb
Old 10-10-2012, 05:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by eds24
It is something that doesn't happen that often but like any other part on the car(or any car for that matter), it can break. The crash was so hard the front lower plastic bumper bent up pulling the screws through the upper layer of the chassis.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by porsche928gs
Thanks for the info. Did you have softer springs set available for the t4?
We ran the car exactly like it came out of the box, including the kit springs
(2.4-2.6 Rear and 2.7 Front). Actually, the only thing I changed was the stock front draveshafts to ECS's.

With an optional spring kit, I have no doubt I could have extracted more speed from the car but sometimes you have to work with what you have. So, if you have it in you, you too can make the A-main at a major race using 99.5% of what came in your kit. Actually, maybe 99.4% as I didn't use some of the plastic spacers
Old 10-10-2012, 06:01 AM
Tech Regular

We ran the car exactly like it came out of the box, including the kit springs
(2.4-2.6 Rear and 2.7 Front). Actually, the only thing I changed was the stock front draveshafts to ECS's.

With an optional spring kit, I have no doubt I could have extracted more speed from the car but sometimes you have to work with what you have. So, if you have it in you, you too can make the A-main at a major race using 99.5% of what came in your kit. Actually, maybe 99.4% as I didn't use some of the plastic spacers
Nice!

Do you know if standard springs fit the big bore shocks? I saw a picture of Hagberg's with what looked like HPI springs on it.

P.S Mine is coming tomorrow!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Hi guys, this is Andrew Hardmans mechanic. I can assure those that are skeptical about the potential of the new car, that the T4 is superior to the T3'12 in many ways. We were only able to test the new car a couple days before flying out to the IIC and despite missing the first day of practice, the car allowed for us to get up to pace within two, 2 minute runs. In fact, leading up until the first qualifier, we had just 14 minutes of practice time.

At this point, we were running the T4 for Mod and the T3 for Superstock. After the last practice, I was unable to get the T3 to where I thought it should be so we made the decision to run the T4 in both classes as it was already setting competitive times and was much eaier to drive(as per Andrew). This meant I would be a little busier changing over electronics but in our eyes it was absolutely worth it. As you guys can see from the results, we were able to do quite well without having the luxury of having two cars to optimize for each class. Not to mention, during the morning practice, Andrew had a freak crash with lapped traffic(all classes running together in the morning ) and unfortunately it de-laminated the front of the chassis. I managed to glue it back together but I could not remove the tweak which meant I had to run less camber on one side to counteract the snap oversteer turning left. This caught Andrew out on many ocassions but thankfully he is a wheel and still put in some greats runs. I hope this does not sound like excuses but I wanted to highlight these "obstacles" to show just how good the car really is even when it was not 100%.

The chassis will have to remain for this weekends local race and I am confident it will still put up the times we know it is capable of.

I will post our setup from the IIC in a couple days for those interested but if you have any other questions, ask away.

Corey Whiteman
So far you haven't tried the regular springs on the rear? I tried them on the '12 and didn't like their balance, it would seem that the T4 was designed around them so maybe they feel better. Did anyone else end up running the progressives at IIC? I talked to a few who tried them, not sure who stuck with them.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nice to see you on here Corey. Would be even nicer to see you racing.

Come race mod Saturday at Lou's.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Is the Fall Fiasco this weekend?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mb3195
Nice!

Do you know if standard springs fit the big bore shocks? I saw a picture of Hagberg's with what looked like HPI springs on it.

P.S Mine is coming tomorrow!
Standard springs will fit over the shock bodies fine. But you will have to use modified lower spring retainers and also dremel some of the arm away for them to clear. You also may have trouble getting ride height below 5mm

EA
Old 10-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
So far you haven't tried the regular springs on the rear? I tried them on the '12 and didn't like their balance, it would seem that the T4 was designed around them so maybe they feel better. Did anyone else end up running the progressives at IIC? I talked to a few who tried them, not sure who stuck with them.
All of the T4's ran progressives on the rear as thats what it comes with and they didnt have options to try others. Paul had a couple of pair of the prototype springs that were different but I dont think anyone tried them.

EA
Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
All of the T4's ran progressives on the rear as thats what it comes with and they didnt have options to try others. Paul had a couple of pair of the prototype springs that were different but I dont think anyone tried them.

EA
Right, I forgot about the shorter spring length. Could have clipped a coil if you really wanted too

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.