Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Old 11-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mera'din
So, they no longer include a setup book with the cars. The website claims this is so you can get the latest most up to date version...whatever, I have one that came with my t3'11.

My question is, the 4 is so much more optimized, what changes are made in the setup book to accommodate the new design? Has anyone compared them?
Everything covered in the previous book applies to the new car. Having said that, the only topic I feel they could have covered in an updated version of the book is their new shock design. It is my understanding that because the the overall damper movement is quite small(much shorter than previous designs), to have any real affect they needed to flow more volume than the std dia dampers. Hence the reason for the increase in bore size. Furthermore, we now must use lighter oil to compensate for this and some may not understand why.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 AM
C@T
Tech Adept

As the mounting point for the shocks did not move to much they do see the same change in length at a given rate of compression.

Reason to make them bigger bore might be having same volume of oil working,
and (guessing) make the more effective and smother.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
Got a question, so I have some backup 50mm ECS driveshafts. Will they work with the stock plastic spool cups? Or do I have to upgrade to the aluminum diff outdrives and run blades as well?
I would not run the 50mm shafts in the plastic spool cups without a slight modification. Stick a 1mm shim between the spool and each outdrive. You'll have to shave the shim a little, to make it a little more 'sqaure' to fit in there. Otherwise, you will most likely break the outdrives even without hitting anything. The shaft does not sit far enough into the outdrive unless you do this. Of course you can get aluminum outdrives that help the situation.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CoreyW.
Everything covered in the previous book applies to the new car. Having said that, the only topic I feel they could have covered in an updated version of the book is their new shock design. It is my understanding that because the the overall damper movement is quite small(much shorter than previous designs), to have any real affect they needed to flow more volume than the std dia dampers. Hence the reason for the increase in bore size. Furthermore, we now must use lighter oil to compensate for this and some may not understand why.
Technically you are correct, however the ackerman is pictured totally wrong and the book still refer to "quick roll centre changes". I love the xray product, but for Luxury, Prememium, Optimised, product etc etc, I think not updating the Set Up book is a bit slack.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by waOscar
Technically you are correct, however the ackerman is pictured totally wrong and the book still refer to "quick roll centre changes". I love the xray product, but for Luxury, Prememium, Optimised, product etc etc, I think not updating the Set Up book is a bit slack.
What really matters is that the car is better.

Have you contacted Xray with your concerns? They might update the setup guide if there is enough demand.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by waOscar
x3

The car has seen considerable changes...the setup book has not and it references old parts and incorrect parts. I'd like to see an up to date version myself. The book was written for the t2!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nice mod Sean. I would really like to use it, and would prefer the thinner lighter hard bumper. Now can you CNC a few and sell them. lol

Originally Posted by Sean B.
T3 hard bumper shaved down to T4 height, with small carbon brace. After having not run TC in 5 years, I can say I tested it thoroughly and it works great. Couldn't bring myself to even try the stock bumper.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCknight
Nice mod Sean. I would really like to use it, and would prefer the thinner lighter hard bumper. Now can you CNC a few and sell them. lol
Thanks Mr. Knight
For the bumper, We just marked a line around the whole thing with a silver sharpie, then took it to a belt sander. Cleaned it up with a dremel. You just want to make sure to shave the top part of the bumper down.

For the little brace, if you want one just message Damon at diggitydesigns.com and he will ship you one for pretty cheap i would think
All credit for this mod goes to Damon Converse

Last edited by Sean B.; 11-22-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Binding rear Diff

Happy RC Thanks Giving Fellas!!

Question: I'm just going over while building my car and I just noticed that the rear gear diff that every 3/4 of a Turn while holding belt to get the diff action there's, which feels like would be a little pebble caught in 1 of the gears

I cut away any excess plastic from when I cut gears off from the tree and made sure where smooth

Is that or can that be something that wears in as its new, or should i reopen it and c where it's coming from?

Thanks guys!! Mike...
Old 11-22-2012, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Mike, I've built 4 xray gear diffs and all have been buttery smooth. It shouldn't be notchy.

To all you guys complaining about the setup book not being updated. Really??? How many other manufacturers give you any form of setup book with their cars or on their site? The car might be a little different now, but the physics and concepts haven't changed. Maybe they never should have included a setup book to begin with. It's a lot of work to keep you guys satisfied. An outstanding product apparently isn't good enough.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=locked;11469607]Mike, I've built 4 xray gear diffs and all have been buttery smooth. It shouldn't be notchy.

Notching is the word I was looking for that it is doing every 3/4 rotation. Thanks

I will rebuild the Diff and c where is coming from.

Greatly aprieciated!! Happy Holidays!! Mike...
Old 11-24-2012, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Another Friday, another testing session.

Again, kit carpet setup except 3mm bump steer, 2000 in diff and 2.7 rear springs in hole 3.
Having the rear shocks in hole 2 made the car feel slightly safer, putting them in hole 3 did absolutely nothing for the fastest laptimes (down to the nearest 100th of a second!)

No Grainger last night.
Cars 2 and 3 are also T4's, the bright red car had 2.5/2.3 springs, the orange car had 2.7/2.7, but i believe his links are middle hole.

Will get to run exactly the same track tomorrow so will try a couple of things to see how laptimes vary.

I got ftd, but car 7 also borrowed one of my bodyshells (blue with yellow and orange stripes, but his blue is darker), the front 3 of us are fairly close the entire way through.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

P.S. after checking my car mid week, I noticed I had different wheelbase settings at the back on each side (yes, I know, 'What a Knob' ), it's been like that since I first built it so tonight was the first time both sides were 'kit'
Old 11-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Rear body post

Can I turn them around so my 2012 body holes match up? Thanks
Old 11-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by haywood
Can I turn them around so my 2012 body holes match up? Thanks
No, the T4 rear posts are 10mm closer together so it's best to put them on the back;

Old 11-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by locked
Mike, I've built 4 xray gear diffs and all have been buttery smooth. It shouldn't be notchy.

To all you guys complaining about the setup book not being updated. Really??? How many other manufacturers give you any form of setup book with their cars or on their site? The car might be a little different now, but the physics and concepts haven't changed. Maybe they never should have included a setup book to begin with. It's a lot of work to keep you guys satisfied. An outstanding product apparently isn't good enough.
To be fair, that setup book is like a manual to some. They tell you to refer to it but when you go and look at it, some parts don't apply to this car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.