Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Upcoming carpet season woes... >

Upcoming carpet season woes...

Upcoming carpet season woes...

Old 08-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Upcoming carpet season woes...

Just looking for some honest feedback with the carpet season just around the corner here in New England. I currently run a XXX-S G+ and I am mid-pack amongst 50 or so very competitive stock class racers.

I am debating running something else for the upcoming season as I continually hear that a guy like myself can shave considerable time off his laps switching to an Xray, RDX, JRXS, etc.

Is there any validity to these statements? Anyone out there run an Xray, RDX, etc. back to back with their XXX-S? Can I get one more season out of my XXX-S and drop my cash on fresh batts, motors, etc?
Old 08-30-2005, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

run whatever Smyka is running.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeel
Just looking for some honest feedback with the carpet season just around the corner here in New England. I currently run a XXX-S G+ and I am mid-pack amongst 50 or so very competitive stock class racers.

I am debating running something else for the upcoming season as I continually hear that a guy like myself can shave considerable time off his laps switching to an Xray, RDX, JRXS, etc.

Is there any validity to these statements? Anyone out there run an Xray, RDX, etc. back to back with their XXX-S? Can I get one more season out of my XXX-S and drop my cash on fresh batts, motors, etc?
It's still a good car, go for the motor/batteries, I will be running carpet killa"RDX" at RCmadness this Thur.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Mark who...Jarrod is King now...
Old 08-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Car?

Car is a car...dont worry about the car...they all pretty much work...it is a huge big fat lie that one car makes you faster.( Just ask the locals as rcmadness..I think I have had them all..lol) Basic setup knowledge goes a long way to solve handling problems. Ask a local fast guy to help you out with baseline setting...after that dont worry about it.

Spend you money on tires, brushes (high wear items) and a couple of good race packs (you really need 2 high quality race packs and 2-4 practice packs depending on how much you run).

Get out and practice have fun and the only way you will be fast is to practice, practice, practice and practice.

Did I mention you should practice.

Oh yeah dont forget to practice.

Cheers

Jamie

ps: dont forget to practice.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Tag
Mark who...Jarrod is King now...
Jrod is the man...
Old 08-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have had or nearly had every car on the market they all are close to being the same all with there pros and cons. at the end of the day it boils down to the same 4 things

1. clean lines (practice)
2. set up (understanding and implimenting)
3. tires (90% of the work)
4. motor and batteries (mainly stock)

i know before all of you say thats five things, # 4 i consider power and without the one you cant have the other.

all the best
Old 08-30-2005, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I will agree with the previous comments - in the right hands - the XXX-S is a phenomenal car, but in the average hands - you break a whole bunch and chase the setup of the car.

I personally had a XXX-S for roughly 4 months - was a great starter car, but no one around the the track knew how to help me - they could give me basic tips, help with droop, camber, tweak, etc, but I felt like I was fighting the car the entire time. I finally broke down and bought a used Xray FK04, and no lie - I went from 19 laps to 23 laps with just the changing of the cars - and I can say I loved the FK04 so much I bought a FK05....

One thing I can say is that i could never find the right setup for my Losi - the used Xray I bought from a local guy that the car was set up for my track. Around where I race most everyone races XRay - and the knowledge folks can give is tremendous - help with setup, problems, etc.

I would recommend - if you do get a new car - get one where you can get plenty of setup help, parts are easy to find, and a car that won't break your pocket book (hardest of the 3)

You will definetely need some good racing packs - when i started, i bought my packs used - yeah they were not the greatest, but i needed to focus on my driving rather than if my packs have punch at the end of the race.

Good luck,
Marc
Old 08-30-2005, 11:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Did someone say J-Rod? haha
Old 08-31-2005, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

J-Rod is everyone's hero!

Although I agree that most tc's can be made to work and be near equally competitive, I am lazy. I found that the xray was a much better ownership experience, when compared to my tc3 it took less maitenence and less work to make and keep the car fast. Having a car that is easy to deal with (especially in terms of breakages) makes it easy to focus on the important stuff like driving.