R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #16
Tech Regular

So where can I get those little fans that go on the shaft when breaking in? Is the point of those fans to provide some load to the motor?
Old 04-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Hi. Speedtech.com usually has them. Or, I have an extra one you can have when I see you at Camarillo.
Arcee Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:50 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to brians11

I dont really like the idea of the fan, unless your motor is shimmed perfectly with no slop, it will pull the motor out of that magnetic center, breaking in the brush to the wrong part of the comm, so when you put it in the car, it has to re-break in... thats just my opinion...

amp draw is a way of comparing a motor, like its been mentioned, you have to get the brushes seated in, then make a comparison, it's always nice to compare rpms as well... just a reminder for the effeciency of the motor for converting electrical power to mechanical power, so if that is bad, you'll need more amps to get the job done... also to worry about is the HP out of the motor, which is defined by RPM and torque...

and if you really wanna know, a dyno will tell you everything you could want, but the problem with them is we tend to look at the peak HP and RPM, when its very likely, we don't reach those numbers on the track, so to use the dyno effectively, you must know what rpm range you race in... thats why everyone says the best dyno is the track, because you see what the motor does in the range you are using it in...
Old 04-07-2005, 07:18 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

You really gotta use a combination of track and dyno or motor checker to find out what is what,it's all about having and interepeting data,Ive seen really fast guys use motor checkers to give them the data they need to make motor choices which is what it's all about.Simpler is better for me,so I would prefer to use a motor checker to get my data,also saves a lot of pit space.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:12 PM   #20
Tech Master

what i sconsidered mod class? anything below 19T?
axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:18 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by axel
what i sconsidered mod class? anything below 19T?
YEP
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:28 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Default amp draw

bottom line amp draw is the entry level scope for weeding out moters, dyno death is the only way to fly. so keep on burning your brushes up fellas you'll buy more
lickrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:54 PM   #23
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

No load amp draw means very little.....

I've had rocket motors pull 5 amps, and some pull 10 amps........

I can make any stock motor pull 10 amps if you want....its a poor poor indicator of how good a stock motor is....

Cause even if you went of the theory a fast motor pulled 10 amps......a crap motor can pull 10 amps too....

You can use fans during break in, I just don't recommend it during the first 30-60 seconds (depends on the brush and the spring tension)....

Later EddieO
Old 04-07-2005, 11:03 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Default yup

eddieo thanks homie all my stuff is great , full blown tamiya testing this weekend the 19's are giong to rip thanks
charlie a
lickrim is offline   Reply With Quote