R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-18-2005, 11:55 AM   #256
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you like messing with motors and hauling around all the extra gear needed to maintain them, then please by all means, keep running brushed motors. NO ONE IS STOPPING YOU!!!

If you want a nearly maintenance free motor, then go ahead and use a brushless setup!!

Yes, there is one National race that is being affected because of this very recent rule change. But that's simply one race!!

Now everyone is on notice of this rule change! There should be no more whining and bitching after this race is over!
403forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:10 PM   #257
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by 403forbidden
Yes, there is one National race that is being affected because of this very recent rule change. But that's simply one race!!
The race isn't being affected by the rule change. IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH BRUSHLESS MOTORS.

The complaining about the remainder of the rules - inequalities from one form of motor to the other - has already begun and has nothing to do with this race.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:10 PM   #258
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Hohwart
When the manufacturers ask if they could use their motors at this race, ROAR should have asked them to submit them for approval.
OIC

But my understanding is that the BL manufactures didn't even ask for their motors to be allowed at this race. I thought ROAR made the decision independently with the exception of the influence from EFRA and IFMAR. Then ROAR informed them

Of course I understand this only strengthes your argument against ROAR, but do you know something we don't know?
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:36 PM   #259
Tech Elite

Old 03-18-2005, 02:46 PM   #260
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I found this in the carpet nats thread....

Posted by nashracer, who is taking photos and such of the event...

"I have been told to pull the novak brushless pictures as they are prototype models and not production."

Find it funny they don't want people to see it.....

So far, Orr is 2nd in 1/12th scale with the brushless (assuming he is still running it) and Fernando is in the A in touring (assuming he is still running it)....

Later EddieO
Old 03-18-2005, 02:51 PM   #261
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by JKA
Having Oscar Jansen (and other respected motor gurus) available to specifically hand tune your motors is rarely available for anyone outside of the elite. lol
JKA: If you're at a National, that's hardly true. I've watched Mike Reedy build TRINITY motors for average Joes at races before. Troy from Fantom, Oscar from Orion, Sean Cochran from Reedy, etc. will all help anyone if they have the time. I've even seen Sean and Troy do it whether they have the time or not.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #262
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

When I was running for a different motor company, I walked up to Mike Reedy and explained to him that I made the A but was down on power with my motor companies current line, he handed me a motor right there. He just asked that I return it when I was done.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:15 PM   #263
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have yet to see any event where those guys won't help you......local, regional, national or whatever.....all you have to do is ASK.

Later EddieO
Old 03-18-2005, 03:36 PM   #264
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by speedxl
he hee haa ha. Keep thinking that brushless will be the savior of r/c racing.!

Racer oz you just hit the nail on the head with the it wont be cheaper. I bet there will be a new system introduced every month.

Look to all you guys that are happy and thrilled for brushless. Your beliefs and opinions are fine. But bashing and making a here in your face attitued is just the positive behavior you need to get respect and acceptance.

Oldschoolers as a whole are the guys that you guys have a problem with because with time we figured out that black magic stuff you guys call motor tunning. You sit and say how we dont adapt. Anyone in this hobby since the day wiper speedos were the norm has adopted to technology many more times then anyone whos entered this hobby in the past 4 or 5 years. You got your brushless motors okayed for racing, but your still going to get smoked by the old guys that will persiveer and learn this stuff. Do you think we would be in this hobby for this long if we didnt overcome the fear of new technology!
If you cant figure out or like working on motors do you also honestly think you will master suspension tuning. Because that will be a bigger issue now as well as figuring in other variables in getting the car to work.
Eliminating one issue will only increase the importance of another which alot more people have a problem with.

Before you bash me like others my background in the automotive world takes me from the days of carbs and seting points thru electronic carbs upto fuel injection and fiber optics in high end cars. So I am not afraid of the change, I have probly seen more then most of you and had to fix it.

Brushless will be good. But with time and on a bases that its an option on a level playing field. I know I will get a system sooner of later.

Just stop saying screw the brushed guys. Because none of them have said screw you.
You want acceptance you need to go about it in a different mannor!

$5.00 Worth.

Hardly ever politically correct
Hector.
It's not the "brushed/old school" guys that are the problem, hell...they are the guys that MAKE the R/C scene what it is, a scene with alot of really great folks from many interesting backgrounds.

It's the fact that ROAR allows manufacturers vote on whats approved or not, the fact that tons of folks for a few years now have been trying to back the technology and ROAR and it's voting board (40% Trinity) have consistantly blocked brushless acceptance at every turn.

ROAR allows the manufacturers to determine the route of the hobby, thus giving companies the means to control how much WE need to spend.

THAT fact alone is the source of my anger. NORRCA really, and I mean really needs to actively attempt to compete with ROAR and bring a new breath of fresh air to this hobby. A new attitude and new rules with a new focus could really help the hobby.

ROAR isn't trying hard enough. Yet I'm a member now and was years ago, because they ARE the sanctioning body for nearly ALL racing in the United States.

It's a catch 22.

P.S. - My first RC car was a used Tamiya Hornet with Kyosho Javelin oil shocks. I think thats old school enough.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:54 PM   #265
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Soviet
It's the fact that ROAR allows manufacturers vote on whats approved or not, the fact that tons of folks for a few years now have been trying to back the technology and ROAR and it's voting board (40% Trinity) have consistantly blocked brushless acceptance at every turn.
Dude, I dislike Trinity as much as the next guy. But that statement is simply not true.

Manufacturers have no say in anything ROAR does and do not vote on any aspect of the rules making process (except in the case of a manufacturer (individual) being a ROAR member.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:32 PM   #266
Tech Master

Just for the record, eddieO had never met me before the Nats in Portland, I walked up to his pit trailer and asked him for a 19turn setup for the Reedy and he gave it to me on the spot without hesitation. Worked great and I'm still using it here locally in Kansas.

Rick has also lended a hand to me at other big races. If you need help all you gotta do is ask.

Quote:
I personally don't like chassis tuning...never been good at it. I demand we use a chassis that no tuning can be done.....
eddieO, good point, motor tuning is just as much a part of racing as chassis tuning and practice! And like it was said in an earlier post there will still be motor tuning even with brushless.

racer-oZ
racer-oZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:41 PM   #267
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Hohwart
Dude, I dislike Trinity as much as the next guy. But that statement is simply not true.

Manufacturers have no say in anything ROAR does and do not vote on any aspect of the rules making process (except in the case of a manufacturer (individual) being a ROAR member.
Well, obviously thats not what I've heard. Lets get some ROAR officials in here.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:50 PM   #268
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

You can go check out the ROAR thread for that info, of go to www.roarracing.com. The elected president sets up the executive commitee which governs ROAR. There are no manufacturers represented on the ex-comm.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:02 PM   #269
Tech Master

Quote:
Well, obviously thats not what I've heard. Lets get some ROAR officials in here
What you hear and what is true are two different things. Let's first validate your source, who is telling you these things?

racer-oZ
racer-oZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:03 PM   #270
Tech Regular

I Personally think this is a good change but why is everyone arguing about it.
It going to take a while to develope and become the accepted norm.
Like touring cars in early 90's back in the day when it was all about off road 10 scale pan.
Why can't you just kick back and wait and see what happens over time, you can't have every thing now.

Chilllin'

Smokes
Smoking motor.. is offline   Reply With Quote