Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spec-R R1

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 05:02 AM
Tech Regular

I run a Trackstar 10.5T with the bluebird servo and XeRun 60a. Good combo. Should keep up with the pro drivers we have here once I get a bit more skill. I think I need to get a new TX/RX combo. The FlySky Gt3-c I have is good, but it needs to go now. Time to get into a Spectrum DX3-something
Old 03-13-2014, 08:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DBM
Had my R1 out for its maiden voyage tonight. The Turnigy power system worked great.....lots of power/speed! Brakes were adequate. I'm using the 120A turbo esc (version 1). My driving leaves a lot to be desired though. :P A veteran driver drove my car and recommended I get a different servo. The 915 isn't very smooth, and doesn't center perfectly. It seems slower than its specs dictate. I'm curious if it is the kimbrough servo saver that might be causing the centering issues though. I should have thrown a solid servo horn on it to see if things improved.
Even with my radio's steering limits set to 120% right, 80% left, the servo still had more throw to the left, and not enough steering lock in general. I'm not sure if it is the fault of the radio, or the servo. I'll install a different servo and compare.
are you sure you centered the servo correctly before putting the servo saver on?

sometimes, even the best servos, once the saver is on, is not exactly centered and you need to use sub-trim to get it dead centered. I know on one of the futaba I've use, I've had to set the sub-trim at like L10 to get the saver in the right position

i'd reset all the end points back to 100%, and reset the trim back to 0. then refit the servo saver - pull the servo out of the car if you need to

once its centered, find the sub-trim function on your radio and adjust it until the saver is in the most vertical position. then remount it in the car and see how the throw is.

at 6.0v (normal for most BEC in speedos), that servo says .10 for speed - that's about average for servos, some are quicker and some are slower. maybe your speed control has a lower BEC voltage - you might want to check the manual for its spec.. or post it up here

I just found this on one of the hobbykind speedo - not sure if this is the one you're using, but adds to what I was saying about your speedo not putting enough volts out for the servo:

Specs:
Continuous Current: 120A
Burst Current: 480A
Suitable Car: 1/10 on and off road
Battery: 2-3 cells Lipo (5-9 cells NI-xx)
BEC output: 5.7V/3A switch mode built-in
Motor type: Sensorless and sensored brushless motors
Running mode: Forward only or forward with reverse (user programmable mode)
Dimension: 43 x 36 x 33mm
Weight: 84g

that's from the hobbyking X-Car 120a speedo. so that's why your servo seems a little slow. so switching servos may not get you much better performance. might have to change out the speedo

Last edited by k_bojar; 03-13-2014 at 08:24 AM. Reason: found info!!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:04 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by poeee
The TrackStar TS-915 does look good. I'll keep it in mind if I need something in the future, being slimline!

I originally bought a Blue Bird BMS-621DMG+HS from Hobbyking for my S1, but struggled to get everything to fit in between it and the motor. Would have been ok if not for my futaba receiver being quite big. Luckily I had a Savox 1251MG in my M05 Mini, which is now in the S1. The BMS-621DMG+HS has been excellent in my M05, every bit as good as the Savox IMO, highly recommend it (it's like $17!). I run the TrackStar 21.5 with the Hobbyking X-Car 60A ESC. Excellent budget gear! Keen to see the TrackStar motors get ROAR approval. Seems as though they have passed tech inspection but just waiting for them to meet the supply requirements.
I've had issues with the bluebird servos in the past.. hopefully they've improved their quality (electronics and the cases) over the years. I had digital, metal gear ones and they never centered correctly and were slow as anything

personally, I stay away from those servos. the ones I like the best at this point are the savox - good pricing, quality and performance. I actually sold off all my futaba servos after the first season I ran the savox
Old 03-13-2014, 11:53 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

I'm running a different esc.... the trackstar 120 turbo. Its bec output voltage is spec'd at 6v. Granted, seven if it were 5.7v, that tiny difference would be unnoticeable. I think that my servo is just not living up to its specs.
The servo was centered before installing the servo saver. Ayer dining into the problem of the servo turning one direction farther than the other, I moved the servo saver one spline, set the linkage lengths to compensate, reset the limits/trim, but the problem still existed.
I'm going to order a savox 1251 and xray servo saver to compare.

Originally Posted by k_bojar
are you sure you centered the servo correctly before putting the servo saver on?

sometimes, even the best servos, once the saver is on, is not exactly centered and you need to use sub-trim to get it dead centered. I know on one of the futaba I've use, I've had to set the sub-trim at like L10 to get the saver in the right position

i'd reset all the end points back to 100%, and reset the trim back to 0. then refit the servo saver - pull the servo out of the car if you need to

once its centered, find the sub-trim function on your radio and adjust it until the saver is in the most vertical position. then remount it in the car and see how the throw is.

at 6.0v (normal for most BEC in speedos), that servo says .10 for speed - that's about average for servos, some are quicker and some are slower. maybe your speed control has a lower BEC voltage - you might want to check the manual for its spec.. or post it up here

I just found this on one of the hobbykind speedo - not sure if this is the one you're using, but adds to what I was saying about your speedo not putting enough volts out for the servo:

Specs:
Continuous Current: 120A
Burst Current: 480A
Suitable Car: 1/10 on and off road
Battery: 2-3 cells Lipo (5-9 cells NI-xx)
BEC output: 5.7V/3A switch mode built-in
Motor type: Sensorless and sensored brushless motors
Running mode: Forward only or forward with reverse (user programmable mode)
Dimension: 43 x 36 x 33mm
Weight: 84g

that's from the hobbyking X-Car 120a speedo. so that's why your servo seems a little slow. so switching servos may not get you much better performance. might have to change out the speedo
Old 03-13-2014, 12:05 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

I'm glad to hear that you are liking your 21.5t trackstar motor/x-car 60 esc combo! I have the same combo waiting to go into my vta car. I still need to order the vta wheels/tires though. I finally found a hpi 68 Camaro body.....seems they were out of stock everywhere!

Originally Posted by poeee
The TrackStar TS-915 does look good. I'll keep it in mind if I need something in the future, being slimline!

I originally bought a Blue Bird BMS-621DMG+HS from Hobbyking for my S1, but struggled to get everything to fit in between it and the motor. Would have been ok if not for my futaba receiver being quite big. Luckily I had a Savox 1251MG in my M05 Mini, which is now in the S1. The BMS-621DMG+HS has been excellent in my M05, every bit as good as the Savox IMO, highly recommend it (it's like $17!). I run the TrackStar 21.5 with the Hobbyking X-Car 60A ESC. Excellent budget gear! Keen to see the TrackStar motors get ROAR approval. Seems as though they have passed tech inspection but just waiting for them to meet the supply requirements.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DBM
I'm running a different esc.... the trackstar 120 turbo. Its bec output voltage is spec'd at 6v. Granted, seven if it were 5.7v, that tiny difference would be unnoticeable. I think that my servo is just not living up to its specs.
The servo was centered before installing the servo saver. Ayer dining into the problem of the servo turning one direction farther than the other, I moved the servo saver one spline, set the linkage lengths to compensate, reset the limits/trim, but the problem still existed.
I'm going to order a savox 1251 and xray servo saver to compare.
another thing to try is a slightly shorter screw... you might have too long of a screw attaching the servo saver and that messes with the servo

I know I've run into that issue in the past - and I changed the screw (like 8mm to 6mm) or run a small shim under the servo saver. that, sometimes, is just enough to take out some of the quirkiness of the servo

buying the savox isn't a bad idea, but i'm not sure i'd give up on the one you have at the moment...
Old 03-13-2014, 01:21 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the tips. However, if anything, the screw holding on my servo saver is closer to being too short rather than too long. I think it is threaded in about 3 turns. I'll order some different legths of m3 screws with my next order.
Edit: another think that I'd like to do, is to connect the turnigy 915 servo to one of my Spektrum airplane/robot radios to see if there is any improvement in the smoothness and throws. I don't want to give up on this servo just yet, either.

Oh, what Springs is everyone using with their R1's/S1's? I'm thinking of ordering the Tamiya 53440 spring sets, but want to confirm that they are the right length/diameter for the Spec-R dampers.

another thing to try is a slightly shorter screw... you might have too long of a screw attaching the servo saver and that messes with the servo

I know I've run into that issue in the past - and I changed the screw (like 8mm to 6mm) or run a small shim under the servo saver. that, sometimes, is just enough to take out some of the quirkiness of the servo

buying the savox isn't a bad idea, but i'm not sure i'd give up on the one you have at the moment...
Old 03-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

I would like to run a bigger esc but we are restricted to running zero timing so I will stick to the XeRun 60A for now.

The Bluebird is plenty fast enough, I am having the problem with it not quite being centre. I have tried several times to get it right but it still ends up being just off. I have it trimmed full right and that is where it runs straight. For the price they are brilliant.

I run my S1 as a budget car. I am trying to be as cheap as possible whilst still being competitive. So far so good, now I just need to get better at driving
Old 03-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DBM
Thanks for the tips. However, if anything, the screw holding on my servo saver is closer to being too short rather than too long. I think it is threaded in about 3 turns. I'll order some different legths of m3 screws with my next order.
Edit: another think that I'd like to do, is to connect the turnigy 915 servo to one of my Spektrum airplane/robot radios to see if there is any improvement in the smoothness and throws. I don't want to give up on this servo just yet, either.

Oh, what Springs is everyone using with their R1's/S1's? I'm thinking of ordering the Tamiya 53440 spring sets, but want to confirm that they are the right length/diameter for the Spec-R dampers.
yup - those springs will work. most springs are interchangeable from manufacturer to manufacturer

i'd try that, the other radio deal - it could be something with the radio you're using. which radio system are you using?
Old 03-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mrjudd77
I would like to run a bigger esc but we are restricted to running zero timing so I will stick to the XeRun 60A for now.

The Bluebird is plenty fast enough, I am having the problem with it not quite being centre. I have tried several times to get it right but it still ends up being just off. I have it trimmed full right and that is where it runs straight. For the price they are brilliant.

I run my S1 as a budget car. I am trying to be as cheap as possible whilst still being competitive. So far so good, now I just need to get better at driving
are you trimming the servo with the trim or the sub-trim function? you'll want to use sub-trim (assuming you're radio has it)

there are other speedos out there that have zero timing - gtb2, gtb, hobbywing justock, etc...the justock is fairly cheap, so that'll fit into your concept
Old 03-13-2014, 02:12 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

I'm using a Turnigy 3XS radio. Very cheap, but surprisingly decent reviews. I wanted an Airtronics radio, but they were out of stock at TQRC when I ordered my parts, so I bought the 3XS as a temporary solution.

yup - those springs will work. most springs are interchangeable from manufacturer to manufacturer

i'd try that, the other radio deal - it could be something with the radio you're using. which radio system are you using?
Old 03-13-2014, 02:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DBM
I'm using a Turnigy 3XS radio. Very cheap, but surprisingly decent reviews. I wanted an Airtronics radio, but they were out of stock at TQRC when I ordered my parts, so I bought the 3XS as a temporary solution.
looks decent, but I'm willing to bet it doesn't have quite the same frame rate as the 'mainline' radios...that could explain the jerkiness of the servo.

since you said you had other radios, I'd plug that servo in one of them and see if it improves any...my gut says it might
Old 03-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DBM
The turning airplane radios are pretty good I hear too.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DBM
...Oh, what Springs is everyone using with their R1's/S1's? I'm thinking of ordering the Tamiya 53440 spring sets, but want to confirm that they are the right length/diameter for the Spec-R dampers.
I use the Tamiya 53440 set and http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=5049
Old 03-13-2014, 09:31 PM
Tech Adept

I've had issues with the bluebird servos in the past.. hopefully they've improved their quality (electronics and the cases) over the years. I had digital, metal gear ones and they never centered correctly and were slow as anything

personally, I stay away from those servos. the ones I like the best at this point are the savox - good pricing, quality and performance. I actually sold off all my futaba servos after the first season I ran the savox
I'd assume the one I am using in my Tamiya M05 is a newer generation. Could be good luck, don't know. At $17, it's worth trying at least?

Originally Posted by DBM
I'm glad to hear that you are liking your 21.5t trackstar motor/x-car 60 esc combo! I have the same combo waiting to go into my vta car. I still need to order the vta wheels/tires though. I finally found a hpi 68 Camaro body.....seems they were out of stock everywhere!
Get yourself the USB programming adapter from hobbyking. Not only does it work with the hobbywing software, it also works with genuine hobbywing v2.1 speedos (haven't tried anything else, might try my ezrun 35A speedo that we use in Mini here in Australia).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.