Spec-R R1

Reply

Old 05-10-2013, 04:14 AM
  #1441  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis give or take...
Posts: 659
Default

Every time I beat someone with an Xray I look at them and say "$129 baby! What did you spend for yours?"

.crispy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:52 AM
  #1442  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (148)
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 6,744
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
Every time I beat someone with an Xray I look at them and say "$129 baby! What did you spend for yours?"

+1 on that!

Last weekend a fellow club racer was getting in some practice laps and had a close encounter with the boards, snapping the lower and upper plate decks on his Yokomo. I was teasing him to say that a replacement chassis for his Yokomo will likely cost more than my entire S1 kit.
SteveM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM
  #1443  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Airwave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 907
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by kschu View Post
because i'm running ride 28r tyres in hot temp track...track temp is 60deg celcius..

i cant push much as i only have 1 set tyres for 3 amain final...

i vote to use 28r because it have better traction than other shore...like 32 n 36.

i flip the front and rear arm..to avoid hitting the wheel..im also running 2.5 toe in rear.
Huh? Heavy oil will increase the load on the wheel, and equally the temperature of the tyres, will it not?

That's exactly what I've done today with Ride 36. I could not get more grip, so I checked the tyres temperature and discovered that my soft ride springs and my 35 oil were not enough to make the tyres heat enough... So I changed that setup to way much harder (35->45, green/silver -> red/purple)... After 5 laps, the tyres were at 50C, perfect!

Please share your experience about that, that would be very interesting!
Airwave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:52 PM
  #1444  
Tech Regular
 
spencehotbodies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: London
Posts: 267
Default

Hello

If any body in the market for a up graded spec r r1, in very good condition. Pm me
spencehotbodies is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:19 PM
  #1445  
Tech Master
iTrader: (41)
 
edhchoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: vancouver, wa, usa
Posts: 1,509
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

I got the R1 kit in the mail today and I just opened it up and the diff/shock oil had leaked inside the plastic bag. I hope the build goes smoothly..

edhchoe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:39 PM
  #1446  
Suspended
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,696
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Just buy some more 500 is good for the shocks, i went 2K in th diff rather than 1K
RogerDaShrubber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:41 PM
  #1447  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (125)
 
spunkysandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 2,672
Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Default

ok, I need some help with my S1.

My S1 with the following upgrades needs more corner speed (desperately)

Alloy bulk heads
alloy shock tower mounts
center servo mount
3racing ssk (dcj)
alloy shock bodies
alloy turnbuckles
alloy steering rack

I've tried running various asphalt setups from petitrc and the car just scrubbs speed in corners very bad (much like the video posted by Kschu earlier). My other car is a VBC wildfire and that car has tons of corner speed and I love to drive it.

Whenever I go into a corner the S1 scrubs speed off so bad that I have to apply throttle to keep from coming to a full stop. I'm using 20% drag brake on a speed passion S controller (30% in the vbc) and the trinity D3.5 Maxzilla motor.

My current setup is very close to Ray Cheng's setup with the exception of 45 associated oil because of ambient temp and +6mm wheels and sweep 36r EXP premounts.

Thanks for the help!
spunkysandoval is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:56 PM
  #1448  
Tech Master
iTrader: (41)
 
edhchoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: vancouver, wa, usa
Posts: 1,509
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
Just buy some more 500 is good for the shocks, i went 2K in th diff rather than 1K
2k ok for asphalt? This car will be run on asphalt with 21.5t motor.
edhchoe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:11 PM
  #1449  
Suspended
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,696
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by edhchoe View Post
2k ok for asphalt? This car will be run on asphalt with 21.5t motor.
Sure, actually looking at my setup sheet i am using 4K this is on asphalt low grip outdoors in 10.5T on foam tires.

The difference between 1 and 2K is not much and you wont notice the difference in car handling, but what it will do is no leak so easy.
RogerDaShrubber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:25 PM
  #1450  
Suspended
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,696
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by spunkysandoval View Post
ok, I need some help with my S1.

My S1 with the following upgrades needs more corner speed (desperately)

Alloy bulk heads
alloy shock tower mounts
center servo mount
3racing ssk (dcj)
alloy shock bodies
alloy turnbuckles
alloy steering rack

I've tried running various asphalt setups from petitrc and the car just scrubbs speed in corners very bad (much like the video posted by Kschu earlier). My other car is a VBC wildfire and that car has tons of corner speed and I love to drive it.

Whenever I go into a corner the S1 scrubs speed off so bad that I have to apply throttle to keep from coming to a full stop. I'm using 20% drag brake on a speed passion S controller (30% in the vbc) and the trinity D3.5 Maxzilla motor.

My current setup is very close to Ray Cheng's setup with the exception of 45 associated oil because of ambient temp and +6mm wheels and sweep 36r EXP premounts.

Thanks for the help!
Ok first thing, get used to using no brakes at all, and turn off the drag brake, pretty much on most tracks you should be able to go off power, turn in, power back on mid corner, full power.

Free the drive train up so that it rolls freely you want a little resistance as possible to keep your corner entry momentum up as high as possible. Belts should be as loose as they can be without slipping, bearings cleaned and oiled, nothing tight or rubbing.
RogerDaShrubber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:01 AM
  #1451  
Tech Master
iTrader: (41)
 
edhchoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: vancouver, wa, usa
Posts: 1,509
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

I am at the step where I need to make four sway bar linkages. But I have only two long ball studs and a short ball stud. where did two long ball studs go??

And one of my ball studs for rear upper links stripped and I can't screw it in or out any more. Hmmm...



Edit.
I was able to screw it in little more.



Edit: I found the other two ball studs. They were the black ones hidden among the screws. At 3 am I could not find them. Haha.

Last edited by edhchoe; 05-12-2013 at 10:28 AM.
edhchoe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:34 AM
  #1452  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 409
Default

did the same on my kit when i built it, luckily there was a extra ballstud included

always pretap the plastic parts with a normal screw first (easy thing to say, but hard to remember if you need to get the kit togheter fast )
Bappe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:50 AM
  #1453  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
big al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Olympia,Wa
Posts: 1,026
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by spunkysandoval View Post
ok, I need some help with my S1.

My S1 with the following upgrades needs more corner speed (desperately)

Alloy bulk heads
alloy shock tower mounts
center servo mount
3racing ssk (dcj)
alloy shock bodies
alloy turnbuckles
alloy steering rack

I've tried running various asphalt setups from petitrc and the car just scrubbs speed in corners very bad (much like the video posted by Kschu earlier). My other car is a VBC wildfire and that car has tons of corner speed and I love to drive it.

Whenever I go into a corner the S1 scrubs speed off so bad that I have to apply throttle to keep from coming to a full stop. I'm using 20% drag brake on a speed passion S controller (30% in the vbc) and the trinity D3.5 Maxzilla motor.

My current setup is very close to Ray Cheng's setup with the exception of 45 associated oil because of ambient temp and +6mm wheels and sweep 36r EXP premounts.

Thanks for the help!

What class are you running that requires +6mm wheels? Spec Class? As stated before, check your belt tention and perhaps something is rubbing. Gear mesh maybe??
big al is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:59 AM
  #1454  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (125)
 
spunkysandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 2,672
Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
Ok first thing, get used to using no brakes at all, and turn off the drag brake, pretty much on most tracks you should be able to go off power, turn in, power back on mid corner, full power.

Free the drive train up so that it rolls freely you want a little resistance as possible to keep your corner entry momentum up as high as possible. Belts should be as loose as they can be without slipping, bearings cleaned and oiled, nothing tight or rubbing.
I will pull the drag brake out of the ESC and see how it goes. I'm runing this car in a gt class at a couple different tracks and I just went with +6 because that is what my LHS had in stock.

I forgot to mention that I also installed the low friction belts on my car. The drivetrain is very free. The belts are adjusted on the loose side. The drivetrain on this rolls out better than my VBC
spunkysandoval is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:53 AM
  #1455  
Tech Master
iTrader: (41)
 
edhchoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: vancouver, wa, usa
Posts: 1,509
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Spec r suspension arms move up and down simultaneously as they should. so happy... My T4 doesn't do that. I will have to rebuild the T4 arms.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


http://youtu.be/mO9Zcb_0l_0
edhchoe is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service