Spec-R R1

Old 11-16-2012, 08:38 AM
  #361  
Tech Adept
 
Fuzzi0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northants, UK
Posts: 139
Default

@ Xenolance

Interesting how the kits differ, my layshaft needs quite a few shims to get it right whereas the kit you built didn't. My spur doesn't touch the upper deck though. I believe I had the same issue with the steering, part of it can be fully tightened but the other part cant. Don't think I had any play on the posts though - I'll double check in a bit. The suspension pivot balls do feel a bit tight to start with, although I put a decent amount of grease in there and played with them for a bit and they loosened up a lot. Agreed that it's worth looking for some metal ones. I think with some of this kit is really tight from new, few runs it'll sort itself out.

As for the upgrades, my first thought was the hexes when I finished building it - had some bad experiences with plastic ones back in the day so they're on my list. Probably going to get the servo mount and a few other bits and pieces - roll bars are the other one I'd recommend right away.
Fuzzi0n is offline  
Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 AM
  #362  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Xenolance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, TX, USA.
Posts: 174
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

@Fuzzi0n

The Layshaft issues seem to be exaggerated or mitigated depending on the brand of Spur gear you used. Kimbro spurs are pretty wide and so they fill the gap better. Spec-R / Xenon / 3Racing all seem to be pretty thin and so I have a gap with any of them. The adapter rubbing is also a result of the Kimbro Spur. with a spec-R spur it's got .2mm side play in either direction.

With the Kimbro the rear belt also tends to ride the center hub so you really need the screws tight to keep them from catching the belt.

Last edited by Xenolance; 11-16-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Xenolance is offline  
Old 11-17-2012, 05:17 AM
  #363  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 410
Default

sooo car ordered, couldnt resist it after reading so much good things about it

has anyone tried it with tamiya springs? (i have a set in my box so..)
Bappe is offline  
Old 11-17-2012, 09:36 AM
  #364  
Tech Addict
 
Luke Hobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: newark, nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 526
Default

I ran on carpet this afternoon, low traction, really tight track. Just your usual local club jobbie.
Started on base kit settings, during the day I changed to longer links inboard all round, increased front inner link shim to 3mm,
Switched to AE silver/green springs. Car was really good considering the traction
Luke Hobson is offline  
Old 11-17-2012, 02:06 PM
  #365  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Darrin70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St Thomas,Ont,Canada
Posts: 415
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Xenolance View Post
@Fuzzi0n

The Layshaft issues seem to be exaggerated or mitigated depending on the brand of Spur gear you used. Kimbro spurs are pretty wide and so they fill the gap better. Spec-R / Xenon / 3Racing all seem to be pretty thin and so I have a gap with any of them. The adapter rubbing is also a result of the Kimbro Spur. with a spec-R spur it's got .2mm side play in either direction.

With the Kimbro the rear belt also tends to ride the center hub so you really need the screws tight to keep them from catching the belt.
I believe a flanged 3x6x2.5 bearing was what someone had mentioned that gets rid of the play from side to side...
Darrin70 is offline  
Old 11-18-2012, 08:13 AM
  #366  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Xenolance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, TX, USA.
Posts: 174
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Darrin70 View Post
I believe a flanged 3x6x2.5 bearing was what someone had mentioned that gets rid of the play from side to side...
It was 5x8x2.5mm flanged bearings from the steering rack that work.
Credit: http://www.rctech.net/forum/11312543-post126.html by mos-leung as being the first to notice this.
Xenolance is offline  
Old 11-18-2012, 12:32 PM
  #367  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (82)
 
jeff jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 4,077
Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default

Tried running the 3.5 deg rear toe , not sure if I like it. Just curious what others think about the 3.5 setting if they have tried it.
jeff jenkins is offline  
Old 11-18-2012, 04:39 PM
  #368  
Tech Addict
 
Luke Hobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: newark, nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 526
Default

Blog updated after todays EWS race (busiest series in the UK for winter)
Only ran in 21.5 boosted but came 2nd overall on the first "proper" outing with the car

Extremely happy.
I've changed the turnbuckle ends over for Tamiya ones. Had alot of interest from fellow racers about the car today, all positive. Even the negative comments of "it's a copy of xyz" were ok when I used the comeback, "yeah, they've taken all the best bits from each car and are selling it over 150 under the competition "

Definately turned a few heads today.
Luke Hobson is offline  
Old 11-18-2012, 05:54 PM
  #369  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (120)
 
Potoczak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 3,702
Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)
Default

Has anyone tried to use a xray layshaft since the spool and gear diff are direct drop in gears?? I'm not to fond of the photon style.
Potoczak is offline  
Old 11-18-2012, 06:19 PM
  #370  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (82)
 
jeff jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 4,077
Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default

You can't use the dray one as its designed to be pulled out from the top and r1 bulkheads are not designed that way.
jeff jenkins is offline  
Old 11-18-2012, 07:46 PM
  #371  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (88)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 901
Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Default Built

I got my car built and only had two flaws, both in the steering, one in the form of one of the 1mm shims 3x5x1mm shims for the bellcranks was actually a 3x5x.5mm and the other issue was that one of the pegs that the steering rides on was not threaded. Otherwise the build was good. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I'm looking forward too it. This car looks great in person, very impressed.
tcdrvr2 is offline  
Old 11-18-2012, 08:31 PM
  #372  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
Magnet Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,034
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jeff jenkins View Post
Tried running the 3.5 deg rear toe , not sure if I like it. Just curious what others think about the 3.5 setting if they have tried it.

Jeff, last night I forgot to mention / ask you, had you considered trying the 4 and 4 "toe" blocks in the rear for 3 degrees of toe. It would effectively widen the rear of the car. I suppose , for mod, it would stabilize the rear and allow even longer camber links. Just something to try, you might find it has less corner speed but is easier to drive. And did you get a chance to raise the roll center ? Just curious....
p.s.
Nice job last night.
Magnet Top is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 06:20 AM
  #373  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (82)
 
jeff jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 4,077
Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post
Jeff, last night I forgot to mention / ask you, had you considered trying the 4 and 4 "toe" blocks in the rear for 3 degrees of toe. It would effectively widen the rear of the car. I suppose , for mod, it would stabilize the rear and allow even longer camber links. Just something to try, you might find it has less corner speed but is easier to drive. And did you get a chance to raise the roll center ? Just curious....
p.s.
Nice job last night.
Thanks, and no I haven't thought of that but I had thought about trying wider pivot points front and rear together.
jeff jenkins is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 07:36 AM
  #374  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Xenolance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, TX, USA.
Posts: 174
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Luke Hobson View Post
Blog updated after todays EWS race (busiest series in the UK for winter)
Only ran in 21.5 boosted but came 2nd overall on the first "proper" outing with the car

Extremely happy.
I've changed the turnbuckle ends over for Tamiya ones. Had alot of interest from fellow racers about the car today, all positive. Even the negative comments of "it's a copy of xyz" were ok when I used the comeback, "yeah, they've taken all the best bits from each car and are selling it over 150 under the competition "

Definately turned a few heads today.
Very nice Luke! Love the Blog update, and your goofy grin too!

I just upgraded to a Trinity D3 17.5 for our Blinky racing here. the old Speedpassion was just not cutting it.

A sneak peak..


I *HOPE* you guys will be seeing this image somewhere else soon!
Xenolance is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 AM
  #375  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 410
Default

nice, i hope my car arrives here before the weekend so i can start testing it
will start with jeffs setup

where can i buy the floating servomount?
also what rates are the included springs?
Bappe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.