Spec-R R1

Old 11-13-2012, 11:34 AM
  #331  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Xenolance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, TX, USA.
Posts: 174
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Bwa ha ha ha ha! I should get commission or something! I can't wait for Guff to get his S1 so I can drool all over it.
Xenolance is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 07:46 PM
  #332  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (54)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brighton, IA
Posts: 772
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

I just built an S1 for VTA. When I was putting on the front wheels, they are rubbing on the steering knuckles. Anybody else run into this and if so what solution did you use to fix it.
iadevil is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 PM
  #333  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Xenolance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, TX, USA.
Posts: 174
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by iadevil View Post
I just built an S1 for VTA. When I was putting on the front wheels, they are rubbing on the steering knuckles. Anybody else run into this and if so what solution did you use to fix it.
You'd need +.75mm wheel hexes. Something like these:
http://www.nexusracing.com/product_i...roducts_id=291
Xenolance is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 PM
  #334  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 318
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Or just put a .5mm or 1.0mm shim on the axles.
samsking is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 PM
  #335  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (54)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brighton, IA
Posts: 772
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Xenolance View Post
You'd need +.75mm wheel hexes. Something like these:
http://www.nexusracing.com/product_i...roducts_id=291
Thanks. Would a washer between the wheel and hex work as well? I want to race this weekend and don't think I can get the new hexes in time.
iadevil is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 08:14 PM
  #336  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Xenolance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, TX, USA.
Posts: 174
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by iadevil View Post
Thanks. Would a washer between the wheel and hex work as well? I want to race this weekend and don't think I can get the new hexes in time.
Yup! I should have mentioned that as a work around. I tend to not rig things up because then I never go and properly fix them :-P
Xenolance is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 08:18 PM
  #337  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (54)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brighton, IA
Posts: 772
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Xenolance View Post
Yup! I should have mentioned that as a work around. I tend to not rig things up because then I never go and properly fix them :-P
Thanks. Can't wait to run the car. Switching from a TC3 to the S1 so should be a great improvement.
iadevil is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 PM
  #338  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 2,567
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by iadevil View Post
Thanks. Would a washer between the wheel and hex work as well? I want to race this weekend and don't think I can get the new hexes in time.
Originally Posted by Xenolance View Post
Yup! I should have mentioned that as a work around. I tend to not rig things up because then I never go and properly fix them :-P

Be careful with that. I haven't touched a VTA front in a while, but I vaguely remember them having somewhat shallow hexes. Just make sure the wheel is getting enough engagement on the actual hex to stay put if you tap a board.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 07:10 AM
  #339  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Xenolance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, TX, USA.
Posts: 174
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Be careful with that. I haven't touched a VTA front in a while, but I vaguely remember them having somewhat shallow hexes. Just make sure the wheel is getting enough engagement on the actual hex to stay put if you tap a board.

-Mike
+1

This is why I suggested the wider Hex's initially instead of the washers. Isn't there two different sizes of VTA wheels allowed now, one being slightly larger? Not to mention, most VTA bodies are 200MM instead of 190, so the +.75 or +1.0MM hexes would push the wheels out to make it look better with a 200MM body.
Xenolance is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 AM
  #340  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (54)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brighton, IA
Posts: 772
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Xenolance View Post
+1

This is why I suggested the wider Hex's initially instead of the washers. Isn't there two different sizes of VTA wheels allowed now, one being slightly larger? Not to mention, most VTA bodies are 200MM instead of 190, so the +.75 or +1.0MM hexes would push the wheels out to make it look better with a 200MM body.
I haven't put the body on yet to see about clearance but the washers I used pushed the wheels out just far enough that they won't rub but still have some gripping on the hex. Will see how it goes Sunday.
iadevil is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 PM
  #341  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
spring71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 4,420
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

Spec-R R1/S1 kits and new Hopups have arrived.

FYI, Thanks.
spring71 is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 05:33 PM
  #342  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
nrtv20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 962
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

What roll bars should I get for this car?
nrtv20 is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 07:15 PM
  #343  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Xenolance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, TX, USA.
Posts: 174
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by nrtv20 View Post
What roll bars should I get for this car?
The R1 has them, the S1 should be good with xray or Tamiya roll bars I think someone said (416/417 I think it was) But they need to be bent just a bit to make them fit.
Xenolance is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 PM
  #344  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (54)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brighton, IA
Posts: 772
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Xenolance View Post
+1

This is why I suggested the wider Hex's initially instead of the washers. Isn't there two different sizes of VTA wheels allowed now, one being slightly larger? Not to mention, most VTA bodies are 200MM instead of 190, so the +.75 or +1.0MM hexes would push the wheels out to make it look better with a 200MM body.
With the spacers I used to make the tires stop rubbing, it increased the width by 1/16in or about 1.5mm. The hex itself is about 3/16in or 4.75mm wide. I'm thinking 6mm wide hexes would be about right.
iadevil is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 PM
  #345  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Posts: 899
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by iadevil View Post
With the spacers I used to make the tires stop rubbing, it increased the width by 1/16in or about 1.5mm. The hex itself is about 3/16in or 4.75mm wide. I'm thinking 6mm wide hexes would be about right.
Hey Eric, This is Brian Bowers. I can let you borrow my Tamiya 6mm hexes this Sunday if you want. I want to see your car! I contimplated on the R1 because of its adjustability and the Red is just sweet. If you want to call me Shiloh and Brian have my number.
429racer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.