Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spec-R R1

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just hoping the S2 will be easy to setup since it will be my first try at on road. Probably should have gotten a car that others use to copy their setups but those X-rays were a bit more than I wanted to spend on my first ride.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

It should be as easy as any other car to setup. No worries there!!
Old 04-12-2014, 01:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I had heard that the prospec used a better quality carbon fiber than the original r1. having had both in my hands when the arrived, torn down to rebuild ect i couldnt really tell any difference other than the thickness. prospec seems AS stiff as the original r1 but thinner.
the top decks are definitely different so ill have to compare them back and forth in mod and in stock.
my s1 in stock was wicked fast on pavement so my r1 will probably be setup to suit.
of course, now that i have an s1, an r1 and r1 prospec all on my desk, i could experiment with the various plastic s1 parts with r1 carbons. the plastics are definitely lighter than the alumium parts though id still want the aluminum arm mounts for survivability.

depends how adventurous i get. the fiberglass seems to be more flexy than the cf.. so it might be a interesting tuning option paired with a prospec top deck.

i dont usually screw with flex too much. ill take screws out ect but dont keep different plates around. or different plastic compounds heh. i just dont have the kind of time that level of tuning requires at a race.
I will say this though, the R1/R2 motor mount if they make one might be a worthwhile upgrade to anyone looking to get more tuning out of the s1 or s2 even if only because its non interference. very nice feature.

ive got my prospec setup now with only 4 top deck screws. ill prob put a few more in for carpet but this isnt really possible with the s1 as it binds on the layshaft carriers. you could probably shim it up but then it binds on the belt.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:08 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

I also found the S1 baseplate to be flexier (is that a word? ) than the pro spec's baseplate. I was surprised, considering how thick the S1's baseplate is.

One thing I'm surprised that we don't see more often is baseplates cut with the cf weave on a 45 degree angle. It would provide more torsional rigidity, allowing for a thinner/lighter baseplate to be used. Same goes for the top deck.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Tech Initiate

The proper term is 'more flexible' but 'flexier' is sexier, so I say use it! Isn't each layer layed at 45° from each other? So turning shouldn't really alter the torsional stiffness.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

remember that these are quasi weave cf plates. the top layers you can see are 90º and they alternate 90 and 45º through the plate. the number of 45s gives you the lateral flex you want where the 90s give you the Longitudinal Rigidity.
though i suppose you could have a "pimp" layer of twill weave or somthing considered nice lol
Old 04-12-2014, 11:21 PM
Tech Regular

Sam, I am running the XCar 120a esc. Once the rain stops here I will get to the track and try a few things. I have an extensive list at the moment thanks to you guys and my local club members. Still impressed with how much better it ran this week.

Just remembered something else that did my head in prior to running on Friday night. I rebuilt the alloy shocks before heading to the track and found that the front shocks ended up being 7mm longer than the rears. So I tried again and same result. When I got to the track I did them for a third time with supervision of another (better, more experienced) racer and same result again. I ended up using a pair of plastic shocks from my S1. Rebuilt them and BINGO perfect. Might have to try the alloy ones again using the internals of the plastic ones.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:57 AM
Tech Elite

had my prospec out tonight destined for mod setup. sadly i dont have any mod appropriate spurs, so I had to settle for 17.5 boost but was pretty happy. I was running really old WCICS sweeps in the front and some brand new much mores in the back and i still had WAY WAY too much steering lol. i like a lot of steering but this would like 12th scale spinout steering.
made a few changes and was easily able to match the laptimes of fast 13.5 12th scale cars.

should be a good outdoor season. i have the S1 and a unbuilt R1. to try to promote the low cost of entry i might continue to run the S1 in stock for club racing, and switch to the R1 for our major outdoor trophy race.
I borrowed a T4 from a friend at that race to run stock and won against some great skilled drivers.
since my r1s are both kitted pretty much completely, that will be my major sell for the car heh.

I have a few people in my club lookinga t getting s2's and the like. looks like spec r will be well represented up here.

Nick .K
Old 04-13-2014, 04:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Here is a bit of information for you all.

I asked Spec-R the question of if and when the R2 is coming out and this was their response.

Thank you for your support Spec-R
Yes ! we will release R2, but will over 3 month later.

Best Regards,
So it will be interesting to see what happens in a couple of months
Old 04-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Tech Regular

3 months!! Ah crap. Time to cancel my preorder. Now what to do with all these parts I stupidly purchased already.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowGuySam
3 months!! Ah crap. Time to cancel my preorder. Now what to do with all these parts I stupidly purchased already.
that's the R2, not the S2. the S2 has a mid-april release date
Old 04-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

I wouldn't expect too many part changes.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

Whew I was about to freak out lol. Maybe I should work on my reading skills. Almost pulled the trigger on a used xray t2 on ebay after reading about the delay.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

unless they decided to come up with something completely new over the r1, id assume the r2 is going to be just lik ethe s2, a few small updates to make the car modern but otherwise mostly interchangable. this means you can upgrade any car you have already.

I wouldn't expect any changes to the plastic compound cause im sure they would blare that with the s2 making it "more durable"
of course, good marketing would be to develope a little bit of hype by giving some of this information to us NOW and not when it goes on sale. I just got my prospecs and i wont be in any hurry to "update" them heh.

the narrow chassis isnt REALLY an update like it was with other cars. since this had splitblocks already id consider it pretty optional unless the flex is drastically different. id say between the chassis options we have now we are pretty well covered for flex. Might even try an s1 chassis on my prospec if the conditions are suitable for it.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:16 PM
Tech Adept

Priced up some spares for my S1, and it almost equaled the same price as a new kit. Looks like I'll be ordering an S2.

Does anyone have a complete list of changes?

Looks like...

Servo mount
Front & rear shock towers
Upper deck
Motor mount

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.