Spec-R R1

Old 03-30-2014, 03:46 PM
  #2791  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (164)
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 7,619
Trader Rating: 164 (100%+)
Default

I am using a 90T 64P spur and run an FDR of just under 3.5. With this gearing I must remove the motor to release the pinion as it otherwise touches the upper deck. Not an issue really and I'd have to readjust gear mesh when I change gearing anyway.

Nothing is as easy as pan cars for gear changes....nothing.
SteveM is offline  
Old 03-30-2014, 04:54 PM
  #2792  
Tech Apprentice
 
Butler02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 92
Default

I also have to lift the top deck to get the pinion off. That's pretty common once you need a bigger pinion like in stock classes. I don't use screws in the top deck on the motor mount so it can flex out of the way a bit. I don't usually have to do more than loosen the motor a bit and slide the old pinion off.
I usually run ratios from 4.2-3.6 or so. I use 72t 48p spurs or 94t 64p spurs.
Butler02 is offline  
Old 03-30-2014, 05:04 PM
  #2793  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis give or take...
Posts: 659
Default

Originally Posted by Butler02 View Post
I also have to lift the top deck to get the pinion off. That's pretty common once you need a bigger pinion like in stock classes. I don't use screws in the top deck on the motor mount so it can flex out of the way a bit. I don't usually have to do more than loosen the motor a bit and slide the old pinion off.
I usually run ratios from 4.2-3.6 or so. I use 72t 48p spurs or 94t 64p spurs.
I run anywhere from 3.6 to 4.2 and I've NEVER had to take the top deck off. Never.

96t 64p spur with anywhere from 45t to 51t pinions.
.crispy is offline  
Old 03-30-2014, 05:15 PM
  #2794  
Tech Apprentice
 
Butler02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 92
Default

Sorry I didn't mean I take the top deck off. I just lift it a bit so it flexes out of the way enough that I can slide the pinion off. I don't actually remove the top deck. Just lift it.
Butler02 is offline  
Old 03-30-2014, 06:34 PM
  #2795  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (16)
 
Cody_ferone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 526
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default

whos got a 5.5 in there S1??



anyone?
Cody_ferone is offline  
Old 03-30-2014, 09:39 PM
  #2796  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
valk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,128
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I put a 4.5 in it last week.. it didnt live lol.
valk is offline  
Old 03-31-2014, 08:06 AM
  #2797  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (30)
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,021
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by valk View Post
I put a 4.5 in it last week.. it didnt live lol.
the car or the motor??
k_bojar is offline  
Old 03-31-2014, 09:47 AM
  #2798  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
valk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,128
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Massacred a spool outdrive and bearing lol. Motor is fine. Never went higher than 100f lol.
Prospec should livebetter with hardened outdrives and djcs.
valk is offline  
Old 03-31-2014, 09:56 AM
  #2799  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (36)
 
metalnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by valk View Post
Massacred a spool outdrive and bearing lol. Motor is fine. Never went higher than 100f lol.
Prospec should livebetter with hardened outdrives and djcs.
*blinks*

My poor, poor little R1...
metalnut is offline  
Old 03-31-2014, 10:03 AM
  #2800  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
valk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,128
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Hah your poor r1 has to compete against a field of awsomatix and yokomo in modified this year and probably in stock too lol
But I'm.much better at tc on ashphalt than carpet. It will be well used
valk is offline  
Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 AM
  #2801  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
valk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,128
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Its actually a little crazy just how many people are dtopping $1000 on a tc these days. Wcics seems yo be dominated by them.
If only s little r1 could upset yhings well definitely not mod for me yet but maybe stock.
valk is offline  
Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 AM
  #2802  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (36)
 
metalnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by valk View Post
Hah your poor r1 has to compete against a field of awsomatix and yokomo in modified this year and probably in stock too lol
But I'm.much better at tc on ashphalt than carpet. It will be well used
It's all good, the car did pretty well in Scale Spec (VTA), but originally it was Steve Curry's and ran in mod along Jeff Jenkins Jr's R1. It's definitely up to the task
metalnut is offline  
Old 03-31-2014, 11:37 AM
  #2803  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
valk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,128
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Its filling the shoes of ny s411te from 2012. Should be good. My s1 was Fantastic on ashphalt so I'm excited. And nicer to work on than serpent.
Plus I like red. Lol
valk is offline  
Old 04-03-2014, 06:36 PM
  #2804  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Darrin70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St Thomas,Ont,Canada
Posts: 415
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Wonder if Spec R will come out with improved or hardened c hubs and steering knuckles? It seems to break with only a light tap.
Darrin70 is offline  
Old 04-03-2014, 07:22 PM
  #2805  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (36)
 
metalnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Darrin70 View Post
Wonder if Spec R will come out with improved or hardened c hubs and steering knuckles? It seems to break with only a light tap.
I think it's the design combined with the plastic, not a good combination for sure. I broke mine so often that I literally carried several spares for each race night.
metalnut is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.