R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #2701
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've been running the Pro Spec for a few weeks now and I love it.

I'm having major issues with the steering rack though! The screws work themselves loose. On a couple of runs the screw has actually come out and ended my run.

It's the screws that mount the rack to the arms.

I've tried a bit of blue threadlock but they still work lose. At the end of each run the steering is really sloppy.

I've built it exactly as per the instructions. If I tighten the screws too much the steering feels stiff to move. Backing them off half a turn makes it nice and free but it feels like the arms aren't holding the screw.

Any ideas on how to solve it? It's starting to drive me crazy!!! Last race meeting I changed it over to the plastic one from my S1 I was getting so fed up with it.
daveaustin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #2702
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Try adding some shims under the existing spacer. Find the right thickness and that should space the center link from the arms enough to provide a smooth steering rack assembly. I see 3 Racing makes a 3mm shim pack in varying thicknesses.
Ropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:15 AM   #2703
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

really hoping to get some details about the r2 soon. couple of us are looking at picking up some prospecs. list of changes at least would be nice, or if the r2 parts will still be compatible with the r1.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:44 AM   #2704
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropes View Post
Try adding some shims under the existing spacer. Find the right thickness and that should space the center link from the arms enough to provide a smooth steering rack assembly. I see 3 Racing makes a 3mm shim pack in varying thicknesses.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
daveaustin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:49 AM   #2705
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBM View Post
Thank you for your thoughts on the front diff vs spool Oldfart and mrjudd. I think I will try the front diff with 300k fluid. Wouldn't you know, tqrc is out of stock of 300k fluid. Being in Canada, every time I order, I pay $30-$50 in shipping, so I try to order everything from one vendor to reduce shipping costs. Looks like I'll be ordering from two different places again...doh!

Mrjudd, what radio are you using? I have been using a cheap Turnigy 3xs, but just ordered a Spektrum DX4S yesterday. I felt the cheap radio was creating some issues. I realize there is a love/hate thing for Spektrum, but I have a bunch of Spektrum receivers already, so I thought I'd stick with the brand.
I run the FlySky GT3-C. They are a half decent radio for next to no money, but I feel like it had come to the end of its useful life. I.E It responds slower than I do. I have been tossing up a couple of different Spectrum radios. DX3R, DX3C if I can get enough cash together then maybe DX4R.

I think that the radio upgrade would improve my lap times. I also have a new ESC on the way. I have been running the X-Car 60a but it was damaged recently so I have a new X-Car 120A on the way. I hope this will improve lap times as well.
http://au.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/index/r/yc8/1wmmuv8/s/tx/cx/1/
mrjudd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:19 AM   #2706
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjudd77 View Post
I run the FlySky GT3-C. They are a half decent radio for next to no money, but I feel like it had come to the end of its useful life. I.E It responds slower than I do. I have been tossing up a couple of different Spectrum radios. DX3R, DX3C if I can get enough cash together then maybe DX4R.

I think that the radio upgrade would improve my lap times. I also have a new ESC on the way. I have been running the X-Car 60a but it was damaged recently so I have a new X-Car 120A on the way. I hope this will improve lap times as well.
radio would MOST definitely improve your driving. the Flysky's are decent for what they are - but from everything I've seen, just don't cut it for racing (shoddy quality control, slow frame rate, slow response time, bad design, frail wiring)...Heck there are rock crawler guys that won't even run that radio - and that's not a fraction of the usage a touring car racer would use
Old 03-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #2707
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Quote:
Anyone know if this will fit the R1/S1?
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=6978
I realize that its tooth count is 19 instead of 20 so will change the internal ratio. I suppose all that really matters is the inside diameter of the bearings.
I see an alloy R1 pulley on eBay at this link;

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Spec-R-7075-A...item20e1df30c7
SteveM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:36 AM   #2708
Tech Initiate

When I started out racing again last year I was using my 15 year old Futaba Magnum 3PDF it worked well, used it for a month or so. Then I got my R1 and F109 so I decided to upgrade to the FlySky GT3c and just the light weight was amazing, let alone other features that the Futaba doesn't have such as ABS brakes, small antenna. Just recently I decided to upgrade again to Airtronics MT4, and wow! That's a major upgrade, the whole thing is so adjustable, steering resistance, throttle resistance, steering throw, trigger position and angle. I haven't used it yet because March is a bit of a dry spell for racing around here, but I'm sure I'll see an improvement in my driving. As for the frame rate, lag and durability of the FlySky, I noticed no difference from the Futaba, though that's pretty much ancient technology nowadays. I'll let you know about the MT4 in a couple of weeks when I've got some racing done on it.

As for an R2, I thought the evidence was of an S2, and the R2 was conjectured speculation. It's too bad the SpecR website has no info whatsoever.
PEEKracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #2709
Tech Apprentice

You'll be happy with the MT-4 for sure.
If you race at a track with guys using a FlySky, I highly recommend you stay away from Spektrum. I have noticed a direct correlation between Spektrum radios glitching and FlySky radios being in use near them. I learned from experience. I switched from a DX3C to an Airtronics MX-V and had no issues, and then bought a used MT-4 and I couldn't be happier!

Is there really evidence of an S2? I understand that one hobby shop has said that it should be coming out soon, but is that fact or are they themselves speculating about it? Has anyone else seen any hard proof from spec-R about it?
Butler02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #2710
DBM
Tech Addict

From what I've read, the spektrum dsm and dsm2 radios are susceptible to interference from flysky radios, but the new spektrum dsmr radios now finally have frequency hopping technology, so aren't affected by flysky radios.
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #2711
Tech Regular

Cheers for the radio in guys, any further info would be great. There are alot of guys that are newer at our track using the last 2 models of FlySky (GT3B and C) and plenty of Futaba and Spectrum. I am leaning towards the Spectrum as it is the one that feels right in my hand. I will miss having the rechargeable battery in the FlySky though
http://au.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/index/r/yc8/1wmmuv8/s/tx/cx/1/
mrjudd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #2712
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjudd77 View Post
I will miss having the rechargeable battery in the FlySky though
Why will you miss it? There are Spektrum models that have recharge jacks. Just put in rechargeable batteries and buy the charger...
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #2713
DBM
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
Why will you miss it? There are Spektrum models that have recharge jacks. Just put in rechargeable batteries and buy the charger...
I agree.....I solder a jst connector into my radios so that I can run them on lipo.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #2714
DBM
Tech Addict

Can anyone recommend ball cups that fit better than the tamiya ones? Also, I like the xray ball cups that have the access hole in them. Will drilling a hole in the tamiya ones weaken them too much and make them failure prone?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #2715
Tech Addict

Quote:
Can anyone recommend ball cups that fit better than the tamiya ones? Also, I like the xray ball cups that have the access hole in them. Will drilling a hole in the tamiya ones weaken them too much and make them failure prone?
What doesn't fit?

The Tamiya ball cups seem tight, but they're perfect. You can adjust your linkages without the balls popping off.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote