Spec-R R1

Old 03-17-2014, 07:21 AM
  #2641  
Tech Initiate
 
PEEKracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 45
Default

I don't know about the Revento Pro, but I have a Reventon R and the brakes take half a second to engage, so when I was using it I'd always over shoot my corners. Maybe it was just a programming issue though, as I don't have the programming box.
PEEKracing is offline  
Old 03-17-2014, 08:11 AM
  #2642  
DBM
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Saskatoon, Canada
Posts: 911
Default

I read a message on the TQRC site stating that a new 'S2' model would be coming out at the end of the month. I'm pretty excited to see what changes Spec-R has made to the new model.

Originally Posted by PEEKracing
So was just looking into assembling a CVTA on an S1 so as to race two classes next season, but all the S1s seem to be out of stock. Does anyone know if they're planning another production run, or is the car finito?
DBM is offline  
Old 03-17-2014, 08:29 AM
  #2643  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis give or take...
Posts: 659
Default

Originally Posted by DBM
I read a message on the TQRC site stating that a new 'S2' model would be coming out at the end of the month. I'm pretty excited to see what changes Spec-R has made to the new model.
Hmm... Interesting. You got a link to that? I can't find it.

I'm wondering what they've changed?
.crispy is offline  
Old 03-17-2014, 09:53 AM
  #2644  
DBM
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Saskatoon, Canada
Posts: 911
Default

I not sure if you can see it without being logged in to the forum. I did a screen capture of the page. .... I'll try to attach the photo from my phone.


Originally Posted by .crispy
Hmm... Interesting. You got a link to that? I can't find it.

I'm wondering what they've changed?
Attached Thumbnails Spec-R R1-screenshot_2014-03-17-10-50-48.png  
DBM is offline  
Old 03-17-2014, 11:47 AM
  #2645  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
daveaustin5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 482
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by DBM
I not sure if you can see it without being logged in to the forum. I did a screen capture of the page. .... I'll try to attach the photo from my phone.
Interesting.

I wonder if they'll be bringing out an R2. I've only just got the Pro Spec

I'm not sure there's really much to improve on the S1. It was pretty much perfect as far as budget cars go.
daveaustin5 is offline  
Old 03-17-2014, 11:51 AM
  #2646  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (30)
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,021
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by daveaustin5
Interesting.

I wonder if they'll be bringing out an R2. I've only just got the Pro Spec

I'm not sure there's really much to improve on the S1. It was pretty much perfect as far as budget cars go.
maybe metal shock bodies and aluminum wheel hexes and improved ball cups and steering rack? about the only things I've seen thru this thread that need improvement
k_bojar is offline  
Old 03-17-2014, 12:36 PM
  #2647  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
daveaustin5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 482
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by k_bojar
maybe metal shock bodies and aluminum wheel hexes and improved ball cups and steering rack? about the only things I've seen thru this thread that need improvement
I didn't have any issues with the plastic shock bodies.

The ball cups are awful so that would be good.

The steering rack and hexes aren't going to improve without a price increase. The beauty of the original was its price. It was a good kit that you could slowly upgrade if you wanted.
daveaustin5 is offline  
Old 03-17-2014, 12:49 PM
  #2648  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (30)
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,021
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by daveaustin5
I didn't have any issues with the plastic shock bodies.

The ball cups are awful so that would be good.

The steering rack and hexes aren't going to improve without a price increase. The beauty of the original was its price. It was a good kit that you could slowly upgrade if you wanted.
I understand the point of the car. I was just saying if they're releasing a S2 - then these should be cheap updates ($11/4 shock bodies, $6 wheel hexes - retail/internet, so manufacturer costs should be less)

maybe some updated suspension pins

other then that, I have no point of reference since I'm still waiting on my S1 kit to get here from HK... found it for a steal on ebay w/free shipping - but obiviously, its SLOOOOOWW free shipping
k_bojar is offline  
Old 03-17-2014, 01:40 PM
  #2649  
Tech Regular
 
mrjudd77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 251
Default

S2 interesting. Wonder if there will be an R2 as well?
mrjudd77 is offline  
Old 03-17-2014, 02:05 PM
  #2650  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis give or take...
Posts: 659
Default

Originally Posted by mrjudd77
S2 interesting. Wonder if there will be an R2 as well?
Why wasn't the Pro Spec the R2?

I hate inconsistent naming schemes...
.crispy is offline  
Old 03-17-2014, 02:29 PM
  #2651  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (36)
 
metalnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys, just a heads up that I'm going to have at least one used R1 for sale soon, probably two (one original and one Pro Spec). Both will be rollers with some spare parts. I'll make a post within a week.
metalnut is offline  
Old 03-17-2014, 02:58 PM
  #2652  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,201
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by DBM
I've been playing around with the car a bit more to try to find the reason(s) behind the inconsistent centering, as well add trying to remove more play from the steering. The kimbrough servo saver fits very loosely on the splines. ... I'm sure this would cause some/all of the problem. Too bad, cause the servo saver seems to function decently. ...firm, but not too firm.
I removed the 0.2mm shims from the steering and replaced them with 0.3mm ones which helped a bit, but there is still a lot of play in the smaller 3mm ID bearings.
I used the"plastic bag" method of taking up play in a couple ball cups, and swapped out the servo saver for a plastic servo arm that was supplied with the kit. The servo am is a tiny bit longer, so gives a bit more steering throw, which my car needed.
I'd like to try the inner holes on the steering blocks, but it results in the tie rods hitting the sway bar links....grrrr. That is a bit of a design oversight methinks.
I had an R1 that was wandery and would not center. What fixed it was. 3 racing 416 rack
robk is offline  
Old 03-17-2014, 03:02 PM
  #2653  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
jetnjme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,168
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Smile

I was going to order a few fancy red pieces but when I got the email response, I thought I'd wait it out and see what is diff, changed, updated... maybe order the S2 instead... I really like the car, did break the steering but put another plastic set in with a servo saver and no issues since.
jetnjme is offline  
Old 03-17-2014, 03:08 PM
  #2654  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 410
Default

thinner and a more narrow chassi, and thinner topdeck is probably the new parts on the s2
Bappe is offline  
Old 03-17-2014, 05:21 PM
  #2655  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
nrtv20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 1,026
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Lowered towers? Don't know what else it needs.
nrtv20 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.