Wiki Posts
Search

Spec-R R1

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 03:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrjudd77
Had our regular Friday night meet last night. Qualified 3rd and 4th in the Qualifying races. Was running 1st in the first final until I came up on some lap traffic and got run off the track with less than 20 sec to go. Stripped one of the rear turnbuckles. Finished 3rd after leading most of the race by half a lap. Oh well next time.
Changed wheels this week as well. Went up from 35 shore front and rear to using 37front and 40rear. Struggled a little for grip at the start of the night. Still I had fun and that is what really matters. Not how much is spent.

Side note. Speedy got hammered when I was punted by the lap traffic, so I guess I am up for a new one now.
Sorry mate, that might have been me when we came together, think I might have had my 'elbows' out all night, sort of sick of being the usual target.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:57 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

I've been playing around with the car a bit more to try to find the reason(s) behind the inconsistent centering, as well add trying to remove more play from the steering. The kimbrough servo saver fits very loosely on the splines. ... I'm sure this would cause some/all of the problem. Too bad, cause the servo saver seems to function decently. ...firm, but not too firm.
I removed the 0.2mm shims from the steering and replaced them with 0.3mm ones which helped a bit, but there is still a lot of play in the smaller 3mm ID bearings.
I used the"plastic bag" method of taking up play in a couple ball cups, and swapped out the servo saver for a plastic servo arm that was supplied with the kit. The servo am is a tiny bit longer, so gives a bit more steering throw, which my car needed.
I'd like to try the inner holes on the steering blocks, but it results in the tie rods hitting the sway bar links....grrrr. That is a bit of a design oversight methinks.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:08 AM
Tech Regular

wasn't you Wal. there was a newer driver out there on Friday night that was all over the place. Looking forward to next meet though. I will be trying my best to keep up with young Shaps
Old 03-16-2014, 04:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DBM
I've been playing around with the car a bit more to try to find the reason(s) behind the inconsistent centering, as well add trying to remove more play from the steering. The kimbrough servo saver fits very loosely on the splines. ... I'm sure this would cause some/all of the problem. Too bad, cause the servo saver seems to function decently. ...firm, but not too firm.
I removed the 0.2mm shims from the steering and replaced them with 0.3mm ones which helped a bit, but there is still a lot of play in the smaller 3mm ID bearings.
I used the"plastic bag" method of taking up play in a couple ball cups, and swapped out the servo saver for a plastic servo arm that was supplied with the kit. The servo am is a tiny bit longer, so gives a bit more steering throw, which my car needed.
I'd like to try the inner holes on the steering blocks, but it results in the tie rods hitting the sway bar links....grrrr. That is a bit of a design oversight methinks.
a sloppy server saver will definitely cause issues... its a shame hobbyking doesn't give you the spline count - that would definitely tell you who's server you'd need.

you could always be brave and count them yourself once you get a count, you can tell while brand (futaba, airtronics, hitec) you'd need

if the kimborough saver you have has the inserts - just try each until it fits very snug. once you get that, there's the one you'd need
Old 03-16-2014, 08:35 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

The Turnigy 915 uses Futaba spline count. The servo arm marked "F" fits nice and snug. The futaba insert for the Kimbrough servo saver isn't nearly as snug. I'll order an Xray servo saver.....many people swear by them.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:43 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm using the Tamiya servo saver with a red aluminum arm, I think it's 3 racing or maybe Yeah Racing, works really well. The Xray should be good too, it looks like the same design as the Tamiya one.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PEEKracing
I'm using the Tamiya servo saver with a red aluminum arm, I think it's 3 racing or maybe Yeah Racing, works really well. The Xray should be good too, it looks like the same design as the Tamiya one.
I also use the Tamiya HD servo with the red 3Racing horn on a Savox 1251MG servo and I haven't had any issues.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:54 PM
Tech Initiate

So was just looking into assembling a CVTA on an S1 so as to race two classes next season, but all the S1s seem to be out of stock. Does anyone know if they're planning another production run, or is the car finito?
Old 03-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by PEEKracing
So was just looking into assembling a CVTA on an S1 so as to race two classes next season, but all the S1s seem to be out of stock. Does anyone know if they're planning another production run, or is the car finito?
Car comes from Hong Kong/China. I'm sure they're just waiting on the next container ship...
Old 03-16-2014, 03:09 PM
Tech Initiate

They're out of stock on the SpecR site and RCmart too. But hopefully it's just because the next run isn't available yet.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Tech Adept

wasn't you Wal. there was a newer driver out there on Friday night that was all over the place. Looking forward to next meet though. I will be trying my best to keep up with young Shaps
That makes me happy Marty, I'm sick of being used as a 'berm' all the time, don't want to do it to others.

That's why I bought the bike, taking the R1 down today to run it on the carpet, see how it goes, been talking with Shaps about the ProS, since setting it to blinky it's been really cold, I've been gradually gearing it up (went from 48mm to 51+mm roll out), was doubting I was going the right way to get better lap times, looks like I'll be running somewhere over 55mm roll out next meeting.

Big change when Steve told me the speedie didn't come set to blinky, now I'm not loosing engines every meet, just need to find a second or 2 off my lap times.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:23 PM
Tech Regular

Having the speedy set to blinky will definitely make a difference. Over timing a motor and having the wrong gears will kill them pretty quick.

I am looking at a couple of combos at the moment for replacement ESC and Motor they look like this
http://www.rcmart.com/cb0584-p-35726...2&currency=AUD
and
http://www.rcmart.com/speed-passion-...Path=1100_1252

Anyone have experience with either?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Having the speedy set to blinky will definitely make a difference. Over timing a motor and having the wrong gears will kill them pretty quick.

I am looking at a couple of combos at the moment for replacement ESC and Motor they look like this
http://www.rcmart.com/cb0584-p-35726...2&currency=AUD
and
http://www.rcmart.com/speed-passion-...Path=1100_1252

Anyone have experience with either?
I've used other speedpassion ones and they're good. never tried a hobbyking version. depending on the guts in the hobbyking, it could be a hobbywing that's been rebranded. if that's the case, then either are good choices. if it's not, then I'd stick with the SP, gonna be a betterone
Old 03-17-2014, 01:24 AM
Tech Adept

I'm using the Reventon 1.1 with the SP 10.5 MMM motor, I like the Reventon (though I've now wrecked 2 of them), mostly they come with the tuning box (which other brands feel the need to sell separate), definitely worth the money, since changing from a Tekin RS Pro to the Reventon, I've had no 'brown out' issues.

I burnt the esc out of the R1 today practicing indoor at Trackside, had enough of the cars costing me money, keeping the ProSpec & building the bike, the 12th scale is up for sale, as is the R1, if you're interested, $130 as a roller.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:49 AM
Tech Regular

PM sent Wal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.