Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spec-R R1

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 32819toon
You've also got a lot of weight on the car, I don't put any on mine. Good luck with the set up and keep us updated with your car.
Had to add the weight to make it meet the minimum weight requirement for Vintage Trans-Am (1550 grams). With no weight on it (out of the box), with battery, it was at 1450.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi JimmyMack12, as a base set up, you'll need the front a bit firmer than the rear - oil and springs, also raise the inner camber links.
I've noticed a few posts where raising the inner camber links on the front will help reduce steering and keep the rear end planted. It is actually the opposite. Raising the inner camber links on the front lowers the roll center, which can be thought of as lowering the resitance to chassis roll, and will give more steering.
Raising the outer of the camber links on the front raises the roll center, raising the resistance to chassis roll, and produce less steering.

So basically the setup offered is saying to stiffen the front end but compensate for it by allowing the car to roll easier.

Last edited by lawton70; 08-19-2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: clarify points
Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lawton70
I've noticed a few posts where raising the inner camber links on the front will help reduce steering and keep the rear end planted. It is actually the opposite. Raising the inner camber links on the front lowers the roll center, which can be thought of as lowering the resitance to chassis roll, and will give more steering.
Raising the outer of the camber links on the front raises the roll center, raising the resistance to chassis roll, and produce less steering.

So basically the setup offered is saying to stiffen the front end but compensate for it by allowing the car to roll easier.
What you just said is backwards.....raising the outer pick up point on your camber links will increase grip at that end of the car it will also increase your camber gain. Raising the inner pick up point will indeed reduce grip at that end of the car and it will reduce camber gain.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
What you just said is backwards.....raising the outer pick up point on your camber links will increase grip at that end of the car it will also increase your camber gain. Raising the inner pick up point will indeed reduce grip at that end of the car and it will reduce camber gain.
I don't think you have that right. To increase grip, you need to lower the roll center. To lower the roll center, you need to put spacers under the INNER ball stud on your camber links. Take a look at the HUDY diagrams, they explain it pretty well.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by metalnut
I don't think you have that right. To increase grip, you need to lower the roll center. To lower the roll center, you need to put spacers under the INNER ball stud on your camber links. Take a look at the HUDY diagrams, they explain it pretty well.
right. roll center is a bit of a confusing topic so that is why I called it out. In my mind the end that is allowed to roll more is taking grip from the other end that isn't rolling as much. So think of a car diving into a corner, if the front is allowed to roll easily with a low roll center (by raising the camber link inboard OR lowering the camber link outboard) the front will roll really easily and you may even see it pick up one of the rear tires. The picking up of the rear tire is what takes the grip off the rear giving the front more grip by comparison.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Hi JimmyMack12, as a base set up, you'll need the front a bit firmer than the rear - oil and springs, also raise the inner camber links. I have a carpet set up on my blog at www.spec-r-racer.com - our club has an old, low grip carpet as well, so the set up could be OK for you.

You've also got a lot of weight on the car, I don't put any on mine. Good luck with the set up and keep us updated with your car.
I was looking at your set up sheet and I noticed that you were not using sway bars..Is this accruate? I will be running a S1 on a small carpet track so I hope that this will be a good base set up listed on your blog

Last edited by DriveItLikeYSIT; 08-19-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

im running a box stock r1 on a medium tight carpet track and the car is excellent. very easy to drive and easy to push. plenty of steering, slight push at the limit.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mdwalsh
im running a box stock r1 on a medium tight carpet track and the car is excellent. very easy to drive and easy to push. plenty of steering, slight push at the limit.
You mean stock setup?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DriveItLikeYSIT
I was looking at your set up sheet and I noticed that you were not using sway bars..Is this accruate? I will be running a S1 on a small carpet track so I hope that this will be a good base set up listed on your blog
hi - no swaybars - i did try them at both ends and on the front but went back to using none. I also changed from Sorex 28 tyres to Schumacher / Shimizu outdoor wet tyres which are great on low grip carpet. Quite a few at our club use them. Let me know how you get on.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

hi - no swaybars - i did try them at both ends and on the front but went back to using none. I also changed from Sorex 28 tyres to Schumacher / Shimizu outdoor wet tyres which are great on low grip carpet. Quite a few at our club use them. Let me know how you get on.
Thanks for clarifying this. Now I need to get my hands on some Schumacher / Shimizu tires

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12
You should be able to mount any 540-size motor in it; the car comes with an 84-tooth, 48-pitch spur gear. Only way you'd "burn" up the motor is with too much gearing (big pinion, big spur = lots of heat).
I plan on using a 17.5 t motor in my Spec R S1. I wanted to use a 48P / 72T spur. Does anyone know if either the Kimbrough 48P / 72T Spur [KIM143] or Team Associated 48P / 72T Spur [ASC3922] will fit?

I'm also looking for a servo saver for my savox 1251..Do you know if the Kimbrough Servo Saver-Futaba-Airtronics [KIM201] will work?
Old 08-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Savox is the same spline as Futaba. The Kimbrough medium should work, but you'll need to use a corner hole. Xray and tamiya would also work.

-Mike
Old 08-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Savox is the same spline as Futaba. The Kimbrough medium should work, but you'll need to use a corner hole. Xray and tamiya would also work.

-Mike
I have a Kimbrough on mine now. I didn't use the corner hole. I couldn't figure out why I didn't have full range of motion to one side. Turns out the servo was hitting the steering linkage.

I just snipped a corner of it off!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Building the car now. Its kinda what i expected. the suspension mount plastics are pretty good and i assume the bulkheads are similar. building the shocks and geardif first. plastics are ok here though the aluminum caps are SUPER sharp and without aligning the threads properly will fk the bodies up real quick. Pleased to see ball insert style cups on both sides of the shocks. hope the rest of the ballcups are harder than the shock ones though.

maybe im spoiled by my serpent but this car is quite heavy lol. quite a difference Fiberglass to CF makes i guess.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

have to say.. this car is going together beautifully. and to my surprise, there is NO play in the outboard suspension... my serpent is a sloppy skunt comparitively...
Old 08-22-2013, 12:10 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DriveItLikeYSIT
Thanks for clarifying this. Now I need to get my hands on some Schumacher / Shimizu tires

I plan on using a 17.5 t motor in my Spec R S1. I wanted to use a 48P / 72T spur. Does anyone know if either the Kimbrough 48P / 72T Spur [KIM143] or Team Associated 48P / 72T Spur [ASC3922] will fit?

I'm also looking for a servo saver for my savox 1251..Do you know if the Kimbrough Servo Saver-Futaba-Airtronics [KIM201] will work?
I use 3Racing spurs if that helps, they fit and are very durable. Pretty sure you can get them off the integy site in the US if you do not have a LHS that stocks them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.