Spec-R R1

Reply

Old 05-18-2013, 03:39 PM
  #1486  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (3)
 
shadowracer24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: lakeland fla.
Posts: 757
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Built a Spec R1 and ran it today in my first ever touring car race and I love this car. I"ve run offroad and pan cars for years but shyed away from tc because felt like it was way over my head as far as setups go. Set it up by the manuel and put it in the A Main in 6th pos. and held there. What a great car, couldn"t be happier.
shadowracer24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:32 AM
  #1487  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
tiago890's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Union, NJ
Posts: 269
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Hey Guys,

I have a Spec-R S1 ARTR, some upgrades.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...r-s1-artr.html
tiago890 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:34 AM
  #1488  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 100
Default Tamiya TT01/TT02 bodyshell fit?

Hi guys, may i know does the Tamiya TT01/TT02 bodyshell fits the Spec R R1 chasis? Anyone had tried it before?
stonely0 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:39 AM
  #1489  
Tech Master
iTrader: (41)
 
edhchoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: vancouver, wa, usa
Posts: 1,509
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

They all fit. Just make new holes.
edhchoe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:39 AM
  #1490  
Suspended
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,696
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Cant see why it would not fit, TT01 is 190mm body, thats what TC use.
RogerDaShrubber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:17 AM
  #1491  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canal Fulton, OH
Posts: 597
Default

Just purchased my first Touring car to build a VTA car: the Spec-R S1 (the "cheaper" car). I bought the metal ball studs and the aluminum hexes for the wheels.

What else, in your opinion, is needed to make the car fast(er)?

What are my options for spur gears? I'm used to the oval pan-car 64-pitch gears.
JimmyMack12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:40 AM
  #1492  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis give or take...
Posts: 659
Default

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12 View Post
Just purchased my first Touring car to build a VTA car: the Spec-R S1 (the "cheaper" car). I bought the metal ball studs and the aluminum hexes for the wheels.

What else, in your opinion, is needed to make the car fast(er)?

What are my options for spur gears? I'm used to the oval pan-car 64-pitch gears.
Nothing is necessary to make it "faster".

I bought a front gear diff. because I like to drive them over a spool. If you do that, you need plastic blades for the front driveshafts.

I run a 96 tooth 64 pitch spur. I like the HPI spur. It is white so I can see if I have tooth damage easier and getting the mesh right is easier (for me). Also it is thin in the middle. With a 96 tooth, I can run an assortment of pinions to get me anywhere from 3.6 to a 4.1 FDR and it all fits.

The aluminum hexes are nice and pretty. Now use them elsewhere. The vintage tires are too deep in front and will rub on your front bearing carriers. You need more "offset". I got the grey Traxxas hexes and sanded them down to the thickness I wanted. You can also use the purpose made spacers but then you have less and less hex in the wheel to hold onto the hex.
.crispy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:06 PM
  #1493  
Tech Master
iTrader: (41)
 
edhchoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: vancouver, wa, usa
Posts: 1,509
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

The R1 is being run as VTA car and the stock set up is working great unlike my T4 I am frustrated with. I highly recommend it to anyone.
edhchoe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:48 PM
  #1494  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canal Fulton, OH
Posts: 597
Default

Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
Nothing is necessary to make it "faster".

I bought a front gear diff. because I like to drive them over a spool. If you do that, you need plastic blades for the front driveshafts.

I run a 96 tooth 64 pitch spur. I like the HPI spur. It is white so I can see if I have tooth damage easier and getting the mesh right is easier (for me). Also it is thin in the middle. With a 96 tooth, I can run an assortment of pinions to get me anywhere from 3.6 to a 4.1 FDR and it all fits.

The aluminum hexes are nice and pretty. Now use them elsewhere. The vintage tires are too deep in front and will rub on your front bearing carriers. You need more "offset". I got the grey Traxxas hexes and sanded them down to the thickness I wanted. You can also use the purpose made spacers but then you have less and less hex in the wheel to hold onto the hex.
Thanks for the info

What about the plastic "spacers" in the hubs for the S1? Do they wear out pretty quickly (enough that I need to look for "metal" ones)?
JimmyMack12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:19 PM
  #1495  
Suspended
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,696
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12 View Post
Thanks for the info

What about the plastic "spacers" in the hubs for the S1? Do they wear out pretty quickly (enough that I need to look for "metal" ones)?
Wheel hex are a tuning option, this car comes out of the box rather narrow, if you want to run the full track width of 190mm you need to run 7mm hex all round with 0 offset wheels.

Do the plastic ones wear, sure they do, but not drastically, build the car stock, run it, then see what it needs to suit you and where you drive.
RogerDaShrubber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:34 PM
  #1496  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canal Fulton, OH
Posts: 597
Default

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
Wheel hex are a tuning option, this car comes out of the box rather narrow, if you want to run the full track width of 190mm you need to run 7mm hex all round with 0 offset wheels.

Do the plastic ones wear, sure they do, but not drastically, build the car stock, run it, then see what it needs to suit you and where you drive.
Thanks
JimmyMack12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:19 PM
  #1497  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
EricW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Meriden, Ct
Posts: 1,916
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12 View Post
Just purchased my first Touring car to build a VTA car: the Spec-R S1 (the "cheaper" car). I bought the metal ball studs and the aluminum hexes for the wheels.

What else, in your opinion, is needed to make the car fast(er)?

What are my options for spur gears? I'm used to the oval pan-car 64-pitch gears.
Ran my S1 for the first time today, barely clipped the board and snapped the steering rack. I just ordered the aluminum R1 rack as a replacement.
EricW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:20 PM
  #1498  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Posts: 6
Default Anyone running a S1 without sway bars?

I am fitting some to mine and one of the parts was miss formed that came in the kit and TQ is out of stock. It is part #SPR-R1P310 and I only need one.

Can anyone spare one?

Thanks.
HappyOne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:50 AM
  #1499  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cambridge, Ontario Canada
Posts: 82
Default

I ran this car for the first time on Saturday at Lou's speedway on the rug. The car was excellent, I was running 13.5 no boost, running Jaco tires; keeping pace with the 17.5 guys running the sorex 28's

When I moved to the Sorex I managed a 10.230 lap time, comparing that with my T3'12 in 17.5 my best lap time is 10.530

3/10's faster with the Spec R R1 running a 13.5

My conclusion is this car has more potential than my T3'12

Still need to try the front Diff, and some different sway bars.

Grant
lifeguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:17 PM
  #1500  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
EricW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Meriden, Ct
Posts: 1,916
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Anyone use the 48 pitch gears that come with the car or has everyone switched to 64 pitch?

Also, looking for gearing option for asphalt with a HobbyWing just stock speedo and a SchuurSpeed 17.5 motor. Track is 80x40
EricW is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service