Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!! >

Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!

Like Tree145Likes

Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!

Old 11-29-2012, 06:06 AM
  #676  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,117
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sg1 View Post
Hey Guys,

I just got back from the US Indoor Champs and thought I'd share my set up info with you.

I ran 1/12 17.5 Masters, TQ'ed and won the main with the following set up:

.50 front springs (.01" gap between stearing block and lower pivot)
10* blocks
1* camber
black fronts at 1.62"
3.5mm clearance

stock shock oil
red spring
1.5mm droop
outside of tubes raised with 20k
orange side springs
3.5mm clearance on back of chassis
3.5mm clearance on front and back of lower pod plate
magenta rears at 1.66"

Here's a pic

Attachment 997649
Interesting tire choice...

Can you comment on why you chose a synthetic front with the Mag rears? Is this a setup choice specific to the XTi?
JamesL_71 is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 06:15 AM
  #677  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (24)
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13,189
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Interesting tire choice...

Can you comment on why you chose a synthetic front with the Mag rears? Is this a setup choice specific to the XTi?
I've run it before, good combo for really high bite. I usually prefer magenta rears with a chrome (magenta/black combo) front as I like a more aggressive car.
wingracer is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 06:27 AM
  #678  
sg1
Tech Elite
iTrader: (79)
 
sg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,259
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Interesting tire choice...

Can you comment on why you chose a synthetic front with the Mag rears? Is this a setup choice specific to the XTi?
That tire combo only worked with my XTi.

When I ran my Xi, I ran magenta/magenta or grey-low/chrome.

Let me start off by saying, my home track typically has alot of traction!

My first time out with the XTi I had magenta/magenta with the stock kit set up. The car over rotated and was hard to drive. I went to all the other tire combos and didn't have the feel I wanted. So, I changed a few things with the chassis (added a front brace, raised the outside mounts of the side tubes, and lightened the side springs). The car felt much easier to drive, so I went back to trying different tires. The black fronts have more stearing then the greys or chromes and wore less, so I stuck with them. I tried grey-low and yellow rears, they were OK, but they wore fairly fast. So I tossed magenta rears on and the traction felt good and the tires didn't wear as badly.

It's an odd combo, but with the chassis set up and high traction it worked.
I ran 2 sets of tires all weekend at the Champs.
I started them at 1.68" rears and 1.64" fronts. Each run I would rotate the sets and skim them on the truer. I ran 6 practice runs, 4 quals, and a main on 2 sets. The main set was at 1.66" rears and 1.62" fronts.
I used a safety bead of super glue and that was it

Last edited by sg1; 11-29-2012 at 08:33 AM.
sg1 is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 06:50 AM
  #679  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,117
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I've run it before, good combo for really high bite. I usually prefer magenta rears with a chrome (magenta/black combo) front as I like a more aggressive car.
The Chromes are a Black/Grey combo AFAIK.

Originally Posted by sg1 View Post
That tire combo only worked with my XTi.

When I ran my Xi, I ran magenta/magenta or grey-low/chrome.

Let me start off by saying, my home track typically has alot of traction!

My first time out with the XTi I had magenta/magenta with the stock kit set up. The car over rotated and was hard to drive. I went to all the other tire combos and didn't have the feel I wanted. So, I changed a few things with the chassis (added a front brace, raised the outside mounts of the side tubes, and lightened the side springs). The car felt much easier to drive, so I went back to trying different tires. The black fronts have more stearing then the greys or chromes and wore less, so I stuck with them. I tried grey-low and yellow rears, they were OK, but they wore fairly fast. So I tossed magenta rears on and the traction felt good and the tires didn't wear as badly.

It's an odd combo, but with the chassis set up and high traction it worked.
I ran 2 sets of tires all weekend at the Champs.
I started them at 1.68" rears and 1.64" fronts. Each run I would rotate the sets and skim them on the truer. I ran 6 practice runs, 4 quals, and a main on 2 sets. The main set was at 1.66" rears and 1.62" fronts.
I used a saftey bead of super glue and that was it
Thanks for the detailed response Wayne!
JamesL_71 is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 AM
  #680  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
Slapmaster6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Edmonds, Wash.
Posts: 3,167
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Dumper & Frank told me that chromes are gray/silver. The silver being a different blend of an asphalt tire. They were vague beyond that, so I am just going to roll with it. I've seen blacks turn more then others before, they are not always the "least" amount.

I can see the logic behind a mag/black combo..... can't say I've tried it, but I can see it.
Slapmaster6000 is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 08:29 AM
  #681  
sg1
Tech Elite
iTrader: (79)
 
sg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,259
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000 View Post
Dumper & Frank told me that chromes are gray/silver. The silver being a different blend of an asphalt tire. They were vague beyond that, so I am just going to roll with it. I've seen blacks turn more then others before, they are not always the "least" amount.

I can see the logic behind a mag/black combo..... can't say I've tried it, but I can see it.
The old'n days blacks used to push..lol..
These had stearing! I was surprised.

I second the chrome tires, that's what I heard also (gray/silver).
sg1 is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 AM
  #682  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (24)
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13,189
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

From the site:

2188 - 1/12th Front Mounted - Chrome
SKU: 2188
List Price: $17.99

CRC's new Chrome compound. Great for high bite 1:12th road racing especially in the 17.5 and 13.5 classes.

The Chrome has the best of both worlds, the high traction grip of a magenta front, with the easy smooth feel of a black front.




It says like magenta but doesn't say it actually is magenta so easy to get confused.
wingracer is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 01:19 PM
  #683  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,117
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I know BSR calls them Gray/Silver and they are, arguably, the same tire as the CRC Chrome. I recall when BSR was mounting tires for CEFX, they were calling them Black/Greys(or at least Josh was).

From what I understood, the Silver was a synthetic/exotic foam of similar shore/durometer to Black... maybe a bit firmer.
JamesL_71 is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 05:42 PM
  #684  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
Slapmaster6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Edmonds, Wash.
Posts: 3,167
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

If you did a blind taste test with magenta and chromes, I doubt you could tell the difference. I've actually made the mistake once where I had a magenta on one side and a chrome on the other. I didn't catch till a week later. The car ran fine, I just looked like an idiot. Where you will see the difference is if you race on a track that gums up the fronts. The chrome will run cleaner. I like to tell guys that chrome steers like a magenta but acts like a black.

If that doesn't screw with your mind!
Slapmaster6000 is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 06:27 PM
  #685  
avs
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,175
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000 View Post
If you did a blind taste test with magenta and chromes, I doubt you could tell the difference. I've actually made the mistake once where I had a magenta on one side and a chrome on the other. I didn't catch till a week later. The car ran fine, I just looked like an idiot. Where you will see the difference is if you race on a track that gums up the fronts. The chrome will run cleaner. I like to tell guys that chrome steers like a magenta but acts like a black.

If that doesn't screw with your mind!
makes total sense if you run at a track where a pink compound loads up.

so the real question is how does your local track operator keep the carpet maintained so you can't tell the difference between magenta and chrome?
avs is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 11:21 PM
  #686  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 410
Default

What is the part number for the orange side springs?
avink007 is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 02:27 AM
  #687  
sg1
Tech Elite
iTrader: (79)
 
sg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,259
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by avink007 View Post
What is the part number for the orange side springs?
http://www.windtunnelracingproducts....products_id=81
sg1 is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 AM
  #688  
sg1
Tech Elite
iTrader: (79)
 
sg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,259
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by avs View Post
makes total sense if you run at a track where a pink compound loads up.

so the real question is how does your local track operator keep the carpet maintained so you can't tell the difference between magenta and chrome?
Our local track has so much traction your shoes sticks to it when you mashal.
Then when you walk off the carpet all the dirt sticks to the bottom of your shoe and it becomes slippery..lol..

We use "Traction Action" by Paragon.
It forms a black groove in less then hour with cars running on it.

Your tires are gummed up when you come off
sg1 is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 04:10 AM
  #689  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Bern, N.C.
Posts: 1,538
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Wayne,
what is the effect of raising the outer end of the tubes?
vafactor is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 AM
  #690  
sg1
Tech Elite
iTrader: (79)
 
sg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,259
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by vafactor View Post
Wayne,
what is the effect of raising the outer end of the tubes?
I originally tried this on my WGT.

When I raised the outer end and lowered the tube lube the dampening felt more linear (if that makes sense). I guess you could compair it to changing your shock angle.

It may be more of an effect then what we may think because of how the 2/56 balls are mounted onto the pod top plate. Being on the bottom there's less leverage/movement then if they were mounted on the top. So by straighteneing the tubes (raising the outer end) and lowering the dampening it frees it up and lets the chassis roll more. For me it's easier to drive
sg1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.