Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!! >

Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!

Like Tree145Likes

Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!

Old 04-27-2015, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Well, Mitch Witteman TQ'd both 17.5 and 13.5 1/12 scale with CRC gear. He was on fire. As for myself, the super-sticky setup that worked so well other places was terrible and the car had a mind of its own all week, lifting the inside rear wheel in corners almost no matter what and I only managed to fix this weirdness right before I had to leave. Oh well, that happens some times.
Sorry to hear you had those problems. Glad to hear you found a solution. Care to share with us the entire story?
Old 04-27-2015, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, my story isn't terribly exciting. I got to Denver on Wednesday at about 10pm and there would be practice Thursday, a club race Thursday night, and then Friday practice, Saturday Quals, and a Sunday Last-Chance qualifying round and single-elimination mains.

Thursday I got each car on the track and ran a few learners laps. Everything felt fine, not really fast but controllable, and I ran the touring car in club racing as I wanted to save good tires for racing that counts. It all felt okay, I had a beer and some spicy wings at the diner with the crew and felt good going into Friday.

Then, at least for racing, it all went to hell. If I had been smarter I could have saved it, but I guess that's still something I had to learn the hard way.

Through Thursday and Friday the grip level continued to climb. Past the levels I had raced on at TQRC in Las Angeles and past those at the 2014 IIC, possibly as high as those at the 2013 IIC (if anybody who was at both events could attest). My pan car started to be really adamant about lifting the inside rear wheel in corners, and the usual fixes of a change in tires, softer rear springs, and the like didn't really help that much. I fought it all through quals and the car looked like a crazy fool was driving it with how much I had to fight the inside lift.

For the last day I skipped the morning last-ditch qualifier as it started about 6 hours after the "previous" day's quals (ended around 1am), I just needed the sleep and upon looking at the qualifier sheets I decided I was unlikely to improve my position very much. For mains I threw out finesse and went right back to general physics. I widened the rear track of the car well beyond legal width, removed the rear side springs, installed the softest main shock spring I could find, and took every last micron of droop out of the rear pod. It worked, but took a lot more steering out of the car than I wanted, and the front tires scrubbed off their grip over the course of the run. I made driving mistakes in 17.5 that kept me at the very back (I qualified dead last in the B main in 17.5) and in 13.5 the car was good enough to hang laps on the field if needed, but it was the C-main in 13.5... a lot less than I thought I would get racing that car before. I should have known to take the droop out of the pod when I got there, something I hate doing as it always made my cars a lot less smooth in the transition between high-speed turn-in and mid corner, but it was necessary here and I just didn't do it until it was just too late. Race and learn.

As a whole, I had a good time. The event was really laid-back and fun, really good racing and polite drivers. I would recommend it highly, the Mile High is a good time.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

LOL! I had same exact experience as you! I never quite could get ahead of the car as far as adjustments. My car was evil! The funny thing is you bumped me from the b in 17.5 by 4 tenths. I learned a bunch that I had forgot over the last 6 years of not running 1/12 scale. I still enjoyed myself thoroughly.
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Well, my story isn't terribly exciting. I got to Denver on Wednesday at about 10pm and there would be practice Thursday, a club race Thursday night, and then Friday practice, Saturday Quals, and a Sunday Last-Chance qualifying round and single-elimination mains.

Thursday I got each car on the track and ran a few learners laps. Everything felt fine, not really fast but controllable, and I ran the touring car in club racing as I wanted to save good tires for racing that counts. It all felt okay, I had a beer and some spicy wings at the diner with the crew and felt good going into Friday.

Then, at least for racing, it all went to hell. If I had been smarter I could have saved it, but I guess that's still something I had to learn the hard way.

Through Thursday and Friday the grip level continued to climb. Past the levels I had raced on at TQRC in Las Angeles and past those at the 2014 IIC, possibly as high as those at the 2013 IIC (if anybody who was at both events could attest). My pan car started to be really adamant about lifting the inside rear wheel in corners, and the usual fixes of a change in tires, softer rear springs, and the like didn't really help that much. I fought it all through quals and the car looked like a crazy fool was driving it with how much I had to fight the inside lift.

For the last day I skipped the morning last-ditch qualifier as it started about 6 hours after the "previous" day's quals (ended around 1am), I just needed the sleep and upon looking at the qualifier sheets I decided I was unlikely to improve my position very much. For mains I threw out finesse and went right back to general physics. I widened the rear track of the car well beyond legal width, removed the rear side springs, installed the softest main shock spring I could find, and took every last micron of droop out of the rear pod. It worked, but took a lot more steering out of the car than I wanted, and the front tires scrubbed off their grip over the course of the run. I made driving mistakes in 17.5 that kept me at the very back (I qualified dead last in the B main in 17.5) and in 13.5 the car was good enough to hang laps on the field if needed, but it was the C-main in 13.5... a lot less than I thought I would get racing that car before. I should have known to take the droop out of the pod when I got there, something I hate doing as it always made my cars a lot less smooth in the transition between high-speed turn-in and mid corner, but it was necessary here and I just didn't do it until it was just too late. Race and learn.

As a whole, I had a good time. The event was really laid-back and fun, really good racing and polite drivers. I would recommend it highly, the Mile High is a good time.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

So, what do you think Mitch did with his CRC cars to have so much success?
Old 04-28-2015, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

What do your setups look like from Denver gentleman?
Old 04-28-2015, 05:02 PM
Tech Adept

Default setup for 5280

See there is some interest in how my car was setup in Denver for the MHIC. Had some of the same difficulties as DeserRat did(inside rear tire lift, too much front end bias) Thursday and early Friday. Started to get the car sorted Friday afternoon into late evening. The first part will be how I showed up to the event with a very good setup for non sub floor racing. Cars were very good at MCRC in Billings, MT and LSRCC's MN State Championships in Duluth, MN(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EgNnr0a3fc) about a month prior to the MHIC.

Altered Ego Chassis Black Art Lola B10

Both cars similar in weight distribution, 2 different speedos, servos, and
transponders.

Front
CRC Blu tire 41mm or less
3.5mm ride height
.5-1mm toe out
.55 crc springs very little droop
0 Block with 2 mm riser
2 washers back 1 forward
.5 deg neg camber(adjusted to get proper feel, usually a tiny bit less on the
inside tire)
short arm top brace(the longer of the two braces)
2/3 front tire treatment.....5 to 10 minute soak

Rear
CRC Blu tire 41.5 mm or less
XTI upper and lower slider pod plates(short)
2.3 mm spacers under frt shock mt and 1.5mm under rear shk mt
.5 mm under front side link ball
3.5~3.7mm ride height
shk 40wt oil with older blue spring(heavier than new red)
blue side springs just barely not touching
20000 tube lube(third event on the tubes)
battery forward
droop--3 to 3.5mm rise in ride height(with shock fully extended from race
ready ride height
full tire treatment 40+minutes

at MHIC ended up with

Front

39.8~40mm tire
.45 CRC springs very little droop
3.1 ~ 3.3mm ride height
2.7 mm riser
right around 0 deg camber(actually coned the tires the other way a bit, never
thought I would do and be happy about. Heard a fast dude telling
my friend essentially F It, if it's fast it's fast so i tried it.)
1/4 to 1/3 tire treatment 5-10 min soak

Rear

40.3~40.8mm tire
3.2~3.4mm ride height
New red center spring

About all I can think of

Mitch

Last edited by flyernemesis; 05-14-2015 at 10:22 AM. Reason: added brace to front end setup
Old 05-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Tech Adept

Hey guys ! I have a CRC XTI WC and I was wondering witch front brass is working on the car ?

Someone have the part number ?

Old 05-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Penz316 View Post
Hey guys ! I have a CRC XTI WC and I was wondering witch front brass is working on the car ?

Someone have the part number ?

The brace for the stock front end is the CRC long brace. If you install one you will have to re-adjust your front end alignment.

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/calandr...ln3276/p219415

To be honest, I'm not sure you will need one unless your car is running on pretty high grip.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

Default almost always run front brace

I like the front brace, in conjunction with the horseshoe it helps keep everything aligned. Edited my setup further up the page to show the front end brace.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by flyernemesis View Post
I like the front brace, in conjunction with the horseshoe it helps keep everything aligned. Edited my setup further up the page to show the front end brace.
Thanks for your input, Mitch. I was hoping in the end that someone would answer my question above with the comment that you drove it like the true champion you are. Well done!
Old 05-17-2015, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flyernemesis View Post
I noticed you're running XTI rear pod i.e. short why are you running this?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2015, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

not really anything to add to the conversation, just adding my face to the thread. been running my altered ego/wc for a couple weeks now and im very happy with how consistant it has been in 13.5. i used to have to pitch the brakes on my other cars to get them to turn in as aggressively as this one does. totaly different setup than im used to, but i like it.
im pretty sure some of that has to do with the new spec tires too. blake was mentioning that they were better in a lot of situations than the traditional compounds we're all used to when traction comes up. I think blake was running black/greylow last night and for the first time in many many months i was able to match his pace, though with the spec lilacs. people say they fall off but i dont think ive had a car more consistant and easier to drive fast for 8 minutes EVER.
excited to get a second one for modified, and i might run wgt next wcics season.

only aftermarket stuff i added was aluminum crossbrace mounts, slapmaster thrust bearing and the shock extender which just makes droop adjustment stupidly easy.. everyone should buy that lol.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Tech Adept

Default Team Principal told me so

Originally Posted by tim fry View Post
I noticed you're running XTI rear pod i.e. short why are you running this?

Thanks
I heard in the pits 2 yrs ago in Vegas that short rear should be the way to go. Are there are 3 choices, short(xti), med(XL), and long(alt ego)? I think the shorter rear wheel base has less rear bite and can easily be overcome by a too aggressive front end.

Mitch
Old 05-18-2015, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The xti-wc edition comes with the long altered ego style rear pod. In combination with the WC's stiffer front end (6 mounting bolts for the WC's U shape graphite front arm carrier rather than just 4 in the XTI and Altered Ego), the WC's handling seems pretty much ideal to me. Previously I tried all of the various XTI and Altered Ego combos....inline, transverse, short pod, long pod, etc, etc......and, at least for me, the WC setup straight out of the box is far and away better than any of the other combos. For me, the WC is smoother, more consistent, easier to drive, and yet more agressive and faster all at the same time. What's not to like?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.