Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Shock oil, wt difference between companies? >

Shock oil, wt difference between companies?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shock oil, wt difference between companies?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Shock oil, wt difference between companies?

What I've heared is that Xray 30 wt is about the same as 50-55 wt AE oil.
And what about oil from Team Orion. Is this oil the same as Xray or AE ?
Is there some info on this subject?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I don't know about XRAY, but I do know that AE's and Team Losi's are almost identical, if not identical.

I double XRAY would make 30wt shock oil to be the same as 55wt AE oil, it just doesn't make sense.

30wt should actually be 30wt and not just name it that just to be different from another company.

just my .02
Old 08-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Z-trezz - Actually, your right on. XRAY/Serpent oil is between 50-55wt oil in Trinity/AE/Losi oil. Can't speak for Orion however--never measured or even used that oil.

tc3blue - Theoretically, that would be nice, but not really necessary. Nearly every XRAY factory driver I know of runs the XRAY oil in their shocks and therefore makes it easy to compare shock configurations from setup to setup.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

i personaly hate the xray oil i use the losi i think its the most consistent between batches

just my input
Old 08-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

Most people feel that losi oil is 2.5wt to 5.0wt thinner than associated.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jon Williams
Z-trezz - Actually, your right on. XRAY/Serpent oil is between 50-55wt oil in Trinity/AE/Losi oil. Can't speak for Orion however--never measured or even used that oil.

tc3blue - Theoretically, that would be nice, but not really necessary. Nearly every XRAY factory driver I know of runs the XRAY oil in their shocks and therefore makes it easy to compare shock configurations from setup to setup.
Is the difference lineair?, so:
30 wt xray = 50-55wt ae, 40 = 60-65 and so on ?
Old 08-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

I always thought that viscosity was measured with some kind of device and it was always the same, I guess I thought wrong.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Ztrezz - that's hard to say. I don't use 40 very often, but it does feel pretty close to 70 AE--pretty thick. Linear, though, I'm not sure.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I use X-ray 65 and 70 all the time and I thought it was a little thin conpared to Associated or Losi 65 and 70. 5-10wt differance.

Wow this is a very good question.

What do they use to test the weight of the shock oil or diff lube.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TeamPink91
I always thought that viscosity was measured with some kind of device and it was always the same, I guess I thought wrong.
Viscosity depends on the heat of the liquid. And the machines may be differently calibrated.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

So in the winter I need run differant oil then in the summer? If its 30wt isn't it 30wt all the time? If it changes with heat wouldn't it be 10w - 30 like car oil?

I never thought about all of this until now. What about diff lube? How much does it change with heat or does it?

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

AE is thicker than Losi oil. It's really not hard to tell, just take the bottles and flip them over, you'll see how fast the bubble rises back to the top. Slower = thicker viscosity. Obviously this isn't a very scientific way to test, but many times you don't need expensive test equipment unless you're trying to measure in fine detail.

Xray oil is definately thicker than AE. I get the same feel with about 45tw AE.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Hey, Jason. Tag tells me that you, Eric and some other boyz are heading down to the Maryland race @ the Coliseum and that if I don't show I'm never gonna hear the end of it from Eric.

You guys going?

[Back to your regularly scheduled discussion about shock oil viscosity...]
Old 08-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigDogRacing
AE is thicker than Losi oil. It's really not hard to tell, just take the bottles and flip them over, you'll see how fast the bubble rises back to the top. Slower = thicker viscosity. Obviously this isn't a very scientific way to test, but many times you don't need expensive test equipment unless you're trying to measure in fine detail.

Xray oil is definately thicker than AE. I get the same feel with about 45tw AE.
Hit it right on the head. Trinity & Losi oil is almost the same, different name on the label. Associated is thicker than the other two. I don't think changing during seasons will make a difference. Shock oil aren't exactly like motor oil. I think the shock oil will thicken up during winter on its own.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 08-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi Jon, I don't know anything about the Maryland race, but we're definately going to Birmingham next weekend for the Majic City On Road Race. I'm going to run nitro and maybe 19t. There at least 10 people from Memphis heading down- possibly 15 or 16 but you know how that goes...

You missed a good one last weekend- our Beat the Heat 2005 race was awesome!! We had 90 entries and some really good racing. The track was a good size nitro track w/12'-13' lanes so mod sedan was stooopid fast!!! The race couldn't have gone better and we were done racing by 4:30pm Sunday. You and the boys should make plans to be there next year. It should be even better now that we have established ourselves as being able to hold a big race with little or few problems. Heck, the only REAL problem we had was that our RCSP software wasn't the newer version so we had problems bumping the two nitro cars up to the next main, but we got er dun!!!!
Got any info on the Maryland Race?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.