R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-05-2002, 11:48 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

RcSabah: Yes you have to replace all of your receivers. The funny thing is that the new receiver will work with the old radio but the old receiver will not work with the new one Go figure.

The modules for the 2000LE and the Mars are the same however they are NOT the same as the module for the MarsR, this is why the old receivers will not work with this radio.
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 12:13 AM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Default email reply from KO-PROPO

Here the email from ko-propo on the discussed issue:-

You are correct about the old 297 receiver not being able to work with the new Mars R. This is clearly stated on our website. The reason being, the new Mars R has a shorter frequency period and the old receivers will not recognize this. The new 301F receiver will recognize this new shorter frequency and the older frequency emitted by the previous Mars.
When you buy a new car made by the same manufacturer as your previous, all the parts are not interchangeable. This is true with our new Mars R radio. It may look the same, but internally it is different. When you are leading manufacturer in the industry, you must brake new ground and move forward. We are sorry for the inconvenience, but you should have been more informed from where you purchased your radio.
As for your tekin receiver, I would not know anything about that. We know that many of the aftermarket receivers will not work with the new radio. They will catch on soon and probably will make one for the Mars R. All of our FM radio coming from Japan will feature the new receiver 301F as a standard receiver.
If you have any other questions, please let me know.
Sincerely,
Robert Morris
KO PROPO USA, Inc
[email protected]
kaikiok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 12:27 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Wolf

It may seem harsh, but this is the words from the bottom of my heart.

It is sad that we need to change all our existing receiver in order to work with the good new KO transmitter.

I know that even PCM transmitter have a FM mode which can be use with good old FM receiver. It is strange that KO don't even have backward compatibility. Luckly I don't rush to buy a KO so that I don't have to dump all my existing FM receiver.

KO just make a step further to phase out those old receiver and move the industry forward. Like it or not. This is the respond KO given to their long time user.

In order to have a fast respond radio, we need to sacrifice PCM and old FM technology.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 07:48 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Thumbs down My 2 second rant

I have the EX-1 Mars and love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. However when the new type "R" model was introduced my first thought was that I needed to run out and get this new radio (even though my radio is only 5 months old).. My main concern was about the backwards compatibility issue and the realistic benefits of having this new transmitter in my corner. After all they are using it's larger model memory and claims of a 40% faster response time as main selling features. But in reality how much faster is this “response time” and what response are they referring to anyway? Is it the response from when you make an input to when the radio transmits the signal? Is it the time it takes for the receiver to receive your transmissions?? Is it the time it takes for the receiver to actually receive your transmissions??? Furthermore; is this "response time" anything a human being will ever notice.. I mean 40% faster than what number???? Is it 40% faster than .002 milliseconds or nanoseconds?? Lets be realistic KO or more precisely lets be honest it's time for you to sell, sell, sell. Nothing more, nothing less.

As far as backwards compatibility goes not only do the former receivers of the EX-1 fame fall short of being up to the new specs, the wheel drop down unit that the EX-1 uses isn't even compatible. You need to purchase a unit specific wheel extension too!

Let me ask you this... why bother upgrading? But then again that “Boba-Fett” blue LED is kinda cool and helpful if war breaks out and you need to spot enemy spy planes at 35,000 feet.

Sorry KO but I will hold onto my EX-1

F1-Fanatic
F1-Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 12:12 PM   #20
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

has anyone bought the new mars R and felt that the speed helped them with their lap times?
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 01:31 AM   #21
Tech Master

patelladragger:
I have the new MarsR are and I can say that while I have not noticed a difference in my laptimes I can tell you that my steering feel is very smooth and the radio signal is very strong. (I know this because someone turned on their car with the same frequency and it was their car that glitched and went crazy not mine to my surprise, and I was in the middle of a qualifier )
Anyways, it is definitely the way to go if you're getting a new radio, there are two other guys at the track with them already and I have heard nothing but compliments about the radio. It's a good radio, but laptimes...that all in your eyes and fingers!!!
Old 09-13-2002, 07:08 AM   #22
Tech Master

yeah sigear - I already use the old EX1. I've been on the stand several times when m8 users would be glitching at a certain spot on the track and I miss nary a beat. The one I have now I can find no faults with so I was just wondering if it was worth replacing my crop of receivers to get the new mars R.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:19 AM   #23
Tech Adept

The blue LED is also good for blinding your neighbors on the drivers stand
Old 09-13-2002, 06:41 PM   #24
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have no complain about my new KO Mars R too, just that I can't use any after market receiver yet.
Oh well, the carbon look for the receiver is WAY COOL...!

Are you guys using normal servos with the Mars R? I have a micro servo for my HPI micro and when ever I turn the radio on then the ESC, the servo's motor starts the vibrate like hell....I had to get their KO PDS947FET digital servo to fix that problem...$80 bucks there...

I can really feel the difference when I use my Mars R with a digital servo...It reacts faster and smoother like Sigearhead said...
TFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 09:13 PM   #25
Tech Adept

A friend of mine had the same problem with his Micro using a Futaba 3PJS radio. The KO servo... doesn't that require 6.0 volts?

F1-Fanatic
Old 09-13-2002, 09:24 PM   #26
Tech Adept

If a faster radio or servo cannot improve the lap time, I wonder why we need to get those expensive servo.
If I throw money on a better motor or engine, I know that at least my lap time will improve.

Last edited by Wolf; 09-13-2002 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:52 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Well let's just say it's easier for people to blame or praise their equipment for their results rather than say it's a matter of skill. You can have the fastest motor out there and simply not drive the propper line and get spanked all day long. But on the other hand have decent equipment, race a clean race and be in the points. Don't buy into the marketing of what these companies are "selling". Practice, practice, practice!

F1-Fanatic

Last edited by F1-Fanatic; 09-13-2002 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-14-2002, 02:21 AM   #28
Tech Master

Doesn't matter how much motor you have, if you can't drive, your laptimes will not improve. They might get worse!
Old 09-14-2002, 07:48 AM   #29
Tech Master

lol. yeah, all of this stuff is true, but when you got drivers on about the same level and make about the same # of mistakes, one has faster car or better handling car, then who wins? If a radio can help me feel more like i'm in the car because of it's functions or speed I'm all for it.
Old 09-14-2002, 08:35 AM   #30
Tech Adept

Yeah, thats what the myths are for.