R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Fastest formula 1 chassis at the moment?

Looking to get a formula one car as my second vehicle for the winter on carpet. There seem to be a lot of choices -

The f104 with the exotek chassis
The f103 with the exotek chassis
The Sakura FGX with the exotek chassis

Any definitive 'best' option among these three? Price is no object really.
brgr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgr56 View Post
Looking to get a formula one car as my second vehicle for the winter on carpet. There seem to be a lot of choices -

not the FGX
Old 09-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgr56 View Post

F-103 on foam tires is the pinnacle of pure speed by which all other F1's are judged

Best at "your" track may vary depending on rules for the class

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

I'm with Dave on that one. However my F103 is proudly sitting in my trophy case because it's considered not "realistic" enough for some and has been banned from many F1 programs. To be on the safe side, go with the F104 V2 Pro for starters and see how you like it. As Mr Berger will attest, with a few minor upgrade's it's fast right out of the box! You can always do Exotek upgrades once you get to know the car and figure out where your cash would be best spent.
First big investment should be in tires. 70-80% of your tuning troubles will go away with the right set of tires. If you will run the TCS series, the new Tamiya tires that are made by Pit S would be the way to go. Good on carpet and asphalt.
Leester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

On our track (large outdoor asphalt track) the Corally F1 NGX is the fastest. Only when the grip is really good, The F103's and F1-09's can compete.
Johnson40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm going to go "against the grain" here, but my vote is for the F104 X1, or the F104 Pro with the X1 damper and upper deck. Thats what the fast guys are running in my neck of the woods. But we are running rubber tires on asphalt in summer and rubber tires on carpet in winter, and run "narrow" cars only.

However, a few weeks ago we all got smoked by a first generation F104 Pro, friction plate and all. Its all in the setup and driving. I'm not factoring the difference between 180mm and 200mm width and foam/rubber tires - around here we all run 180mm wide & rubber tires.

Of course an F103 on foams will be fastest overall.

I don't think the exotek chassis are necessary. I'll beat an exotek-chassis any day with my bone stock tamiya chassis plates. Its a matter of making the chassis do what you need through a combination of tuning and making your driving style get the most out of your chassis.
I don't always race RC....but when I do....I prefer road course.

Last edited by fox88gt; 09-05-2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: typo
fox88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox88gt View Post
I'm going to go "against the grain" here, but my vote is for the F104 X1, or the F104 Pro with the X1 damper and upper deck. Thats what the fast guys are running in my neck of the woods. But we are running rubber tires on asphalt in summer and rubber tires on carpet in winter, and run "narrow" cars only.

However, a few weeks ago we all got smoked by a first generation F104 Pro, friction plate and all. Its all in the setup and driving. I'm not factoring the difference between 180mm and 200mm width and foam/rubber tires - around here we all run 180mm wide & rubber tires.

Of course an F103 on foams will be fastest overall.

I don't think the exotek chassis are necessary. I'll beat an exotek-chassis any day with my bone stock tamiya chassis plates. Its a matter of making the chassis do what you need through a combination of tuning and making your driving style get the most out of your chassis.
+1 My FQ104 has been dominant over the last few months on asphalt. will be put to the test this weekend on carpet in Dallas, although i did build a wide car just in case! Around here the V2's are not holding up all that great, handling is a bit off, springs pop off and the links bend. The faster guys have to run crazy setups to get them to keep up with the FQ's ,X1's and TRG's.
Remember that they are all Pan cars, only so much you can do to them!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
+1 My FQ104 has been dominant over the last few months on asphalt. will be put to the test this weekend on carpet in Dallas, although i did build a wide car just in case! Around here the V2's are not holding up all that great, handling is a bit off, springs pop off and the links bend. The faster guys have to run crazy setups to get them to keep up with the FQ's ,X1's and TRG's.
Remember that they are all Pan cars, only so much you can do to them!
It's like deja vu
Same comments when 12th scale link cars came out, a lot about t-bar superiority on certain corners, yadda, yadda

I guess in time we will see the direction the masses go
My $$ is on link design

And Corally F1 run 10th Pan car wheels, so not same as normal F1, more like WGT with an open wheel body, nothing wrong with that if your club is cool with it

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

Trg f111 in narrow form was a major improvement over my 104. New v2 looks decent and can run in tamiya races. You can also swap front ends put a shorty pack in and some 104 tires on that 103. I love the fgx concept but I guess it's to slow. Wondering how a fgx would be boosted 21.5? Illegal for racing though!
likeakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

The link cars hold up fine around here. We try not to race them like a SC though.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

What are the rules for F-1 at your local track? Foam, rubber, 200mm, 190mm, 180mm?
Thunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbunny View Post
What are the rules for F-1 at your local track? Foam, rubber, 200mm, 190mm, 180mm?
UF1 rules rule.

Rubber lasts for several race days and practice sessions and never has to be trued, height adjusted or regeared as the doughnut gets smaller.

190mm allows for FGX to run with the F104.

For the OP....
Exotec makes some good stuff.

What we see rolling around the UF1 series:
FGX is less efficient than direct drive. Most of the FGX drivers have to gear taller and run a fan to keep up with the DD without overheating. However, FGX has a real advantage over t-plate cars on a bumpy paved surface.

F103 is nice but not "realistic" to modern 1:1 chassis. Plus they are getting more difficult to find. If you race director will allow it, F104 can be widened with the F103 front end.

IMHO Running a link rear end like the F104v2/Exotec is better than the t-plate. Not necessarily quicker, but deff. a more consistent and planted rear end. In the end, the F104 offers the most options in a carpet car. Hook up with the right tires and away you go.
240Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:03 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

@Thunderbody
Our rules are very simple:
6 cell NiMh, or 2S lipo, Tamiya 35T brushed F1 motor. All chassis allowed, max width 205mm, Foam and rubber tires allowed. Competition is BIG FUN and competitive. Most F104's are widened to 190mm or 200mm and run on foam.
Johnson40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson40 View Post
@Thunderbody
Our rules are very simple:
6 cell NiMh, or 2S lipo, Tamiya 35T brushed F1 motor. All chassis allowed, max width 205mm, Foam and rubber tires allowed. Competition is BIG FUN and competitive. Most F104's are widened to 190mm or 200mm and run on foam.
Theres your answer then, maybe think of getting a F104WGP
kb525 is offline   Reply With Quote