R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default JRXS-R Vs. Sakura Zero S

I'm about to purchase my first on-road car and I'm trying to decide between a used Losi JRXS-R or a new 3 Racing Sakura Zero S. Any opinions or factors any-one can think of would be helpful. For example parts availability, performance, realiablity or anything else you think might be important. Especialy if you owned both cars. I should also add that I plan on running the car in the GT class.
Thanks in adavance!

Last edited by bukwylde; 09-04-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Added info
bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I know its difficult to get lipo's in the losi, but that's all I've got for you.
jsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What is your budget? JRXS Type R is discontinued but I do think losi still make parts for it.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The budget is as cheap as possible while still being competitive. I can get the zero s for under a $100 shipped and a local guy offering the Losi for $100 with some spares.

Last edited by bukwylde; 09-04-2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I haven't run a Sakura Zero S but have seen one up close and it seems pretty decent especially for the price. Parts are cheap and you can upgrade to a full blown Zero. Seems to break fairly easily but the guy driving it is pretty new so that may not be a fair assumption on the durability.

I have had a Type R for some time now... (recently sold one and have another for sale now) and all I can say is the car just plain works! Been running it mostly in VTA and it has a very wide setup window. Everyone at our track that has had one has gone faster with a Type R. Depending on what type of Lipo you have it can be a little limiting but not too bad. The Orions work best (at least up to 5000mah). I ran Thunderpower 5000 and 5300 and had to do some minor mods to make it work but it was quite simple to do. It just amounts to narrowing the center pulley which makes more room width wise for the battery. Parts still seem to be plentiful but you never know if or when they will dry up. I really liked mine a lot and kinda miss it but I had it for several years so its on to something else.

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not having driven either, I would get the Sakura. I have heard many good things about the Sakura and it's a current car, whereas the Losi is older. Also, the Losi chassis has a high torsional stiffness compared to the newer cars and I think this is a downside for the rubber tire classes of today. I don't believe the Losi has a front spool either. Not sure about the Sakura. Depending on what you run, spools are very good up front.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnelso View Post
Not having driven either, I would get the Sakura. I have heard many good things about the Sakura and it's a current car, whereas the Losi is older. Also, the Losi chassis has a high torsional stiffness compared to the newer cars and I think this is a downside for the rubber tire classes of today. I don't believe the Losi has a front spool either. Not sure about the Sakura. Depending on what you run, spools are very good up front.
+1

From what I have seen & heard the Sakura Zero S is a good car for the price, the parts are inexpensive and readily available.
A couple of options you may want to consider for it is the vertical motor mount and alloy shocks.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Lessen

I would agree that the Losi's stiff chassis may be a hinderance, but not necessarily in all classes. For instance, in VTA I don't think it hurts anything. Not sure about USGT, but 17.5 TC I think you start running into tuning difficulties vs. more current cars. At any rate, I like they Losi. Been racing it for a year or so (Im new too). Don't sweat the battery figment "issue" I run Nano4200 packs and they work great in TC so should be no problem in USGT as well. Most common thing I broke w)ere caster blocks but not so much these days as im driving cleaner. If I tank slap a board I tend to break the rear upper link ballstyd off in the hub carrier, but that's beFause I lock my links in with small screws opposite the link post. (Id rather DNF because I hit bard enough to break, rather than DNF because I popped a link.) That's just me and what I've experienced with the car.

Last edited by Lessen; 09-04-2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: stupid autocorrect
Lessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
Suspended

Get the Sakura. You will be happy with your purchase and there are tons of upgrades for it.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
Tech Regular

I have a Sakura s but only use it for drifting. And I'm really happy with my purchase. I would reccomend it to anybody.
aquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

The great thing about the Sakura S is that you can upgrade it bit by bit, all parts are interchangeable between the Zero S and the Zero. You can start cheap with the Zero S and eventually you can upgrade it into a full Zero if you like.

I've upgraded only the parts I felt needed and I ended up with alu bulkheads, steering, shocks, spur adapter, front spool and vertical motor mount, the rest are stock. Kept the FRP chassis since I run in a parking lot occasionally and it's better to scratch up a $10 FRP chassis plate than a $40 graphite one...
F103 Chevronmodels 6-wheel conversion
sporadicidiocy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
Tech Adept

used chassis is someones junk.....used chassis are sometimes tweek
just buy the zero but have good tools to put it together with. do some reading on the zeros
hotrod306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #13
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I own a Type-R and my only gripe is its ball differential. I would love a gear diff, because on this chassis if the diff is anything less than perfect it will be loose.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote