Wiki Posts
Search

2 cell lipo in 1/12 pan car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default 2 cell lipo in 1/12 pan car?

I notice there are 2 cell lipos for sale that are sized to fit in a 1/12 pan car. I was just curious if anybody was running these in their pan car, or if a 2s class exists. It seems to me that if you used a high turn motor and low gearing, you could get the speeds about the same while reaping the advantages of higher voltage. What do you guys think? Is this a direction 1/12 might end up moving in? I know 1/12 is an old school class and many are of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" line of thinking; but I was just curious.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

I had a 2S LiFePo (6.6V) battery in my 12th scale car and it worked great. ESC and motor stayed cool all the time, there's enough power and you don't need pinion gears that are taller than the spur gears
But a 12th scale racing 2S class is not a really good idea, because there is too much power available.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

For the moment i'm using a 1/18th 2cell lipo in my tamiya RM-01 (1/12Th) car and it works great.
This chassis uses standard a 380 brushed motor and can be upgraded to a 380 sport tuned motor also from tamiya.
The standard motor with a 2 cell lipo has a nice speed, but it will be even better with the sport tuned motor.
I think those 2 cell lipo's that have the same size as a 1 cell lipo should be the standard for that kind of chassis.
It's easier to use and no problems with those extra boosters or those smaller spurs/bigger pinions.

That's just my personal opinion.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Tech Addict

I agree about the boosters, it would be great to eliminate them. And there wouldn't be an excess of power with a high enough turn motor and low enough gearing. Fade towards the end of the run would not be as pronounced as it is with 1s. The system would run cooler, and you could probably even extend the run times.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I run my 1/12 with 2s lipo. But since class is 1s, I run alone.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Tech Addict

what motor are you running, and how big is your pinion/spur?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

There are plenty of good ESC that are 1s native

1s is pretty close to perfect for 12th, as the motors scale well with the low voltage

from 17.5 to 3T, this is a broad range, and allows the driver to select the speed they want

With 2s, a 21.5 would be considered mild mod pace, close to 10.5 1s

For instance, with a 4.5T on 1s we are close to running out of space with gearing, tires are nearly the same size as the spur, and pinions are about as small as can be produced

This is all based on 540 sized BL motors which are industry standard

There are some that think 380 is a better size for 12th, but there are issues there to sort out gearing, and grip, with the lighter weight electronics package grip will be low, perhaps an all new chassis design would sort that out...

This conversation was fairly fervent when 1s was first introduced, but as ESC, lipos and motors progressed, the argument has all but vanished
Old 09-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
There are plenty of good ESC that are 1s native

1s is pretty close to perfect for 12th, as the motors scale well with the low voltage

from 17.5 to 3T, this is a broad range, and allows the driver to select the speed they want

With 2s, a 21.5 would be considered mild mod pace, close to 10.5 1s

For instance, with a 4.5T on 1s we are close to running out of space with gearing, tires are nearly the same size as the spur, and pinions are about as small as can be produced

This is all based on 540 sized BL motors which are industry standard

There are some that think 380 is a better size for 12th, but there are issues there to sort out gearing, and grip, with the lighter weight electronics package grip will be low, perhaps an all new chassis design would sort that out...

This conversation was fairly fervent when 1s was first introduced, but as ESC, lipos and motors progressed, the argument has all but vanished
Well put into the nutshell
Old 09-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Its funny, I remember asking guys about running 1s in 1/12th back in 2006. Some pretty prominent 1/12th racers swore up an down that it would be too slow and would lead to the death of 1/12th racing. Glad to see it all worked out!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

would 2s shorty packs fit...and would it make it easier for racers w/o booster packs and extra rx packs and such.....

Im thinking it would...but who knows
Old 09-12-2012, 06:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1S is perfect for 12th scale. It's cheaper than 2S it's the right power and weight for the class.. I mean we don't even run ESC timing advance in this class cause it's fast enough. No need for more voltage. 1S ESC are becoming more popular and we have a great new one in the UK available which is cheap and good for 13.5 or 10.5 blinky.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Tech Addict

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ck-74V-3000mAh

The battery in that link is what sparked my curiosity. It seems to be specifically designed for 2s 1/12 pan and it is pretty light. It has a lower mah, but with the higher voltage the run times could "pan" (get it) out the same if not longer. I do agree that there are an increasing number of 1s escs that don't require a booster. I'm running the viper vtx1 right now and am really enjoying it, and the new orca that is coming looks really nice. That battery just struck my interest. I was thinking about putting it in a pan car with a 17.5, or maybe even a 13.5; gearing really low, and setting the throttle back on the transmitter until the car hit regular speeds and then just sort of experimenting with it as far as temperature, runtime, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to rewrite the rules of 1/12 pan car racing. 1/12 is my favorite class. This is just a possibility that I want to tinker with and I wondered if anybody else has feedback from there own experimentation more so than opinions of why it should be left alone.