R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree23Likes

Old 07-26-2002, 03:18 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Thanks Rowdy

I do have a question...

What's the difference between an FRP (Fiber Reinforced Plate) chassis and a Carbon Fiber chassis. I have and FRP TA03 chassis and am looking at a CF chassis being offered to me. Which one is tougher?

I also have a TRF414 with CF chassis. On the top layer (a transparent plastic-like layer) there is a small crack near the rear bulkead. I held it agains a strong incandescent lamp but I can't see any visible crack through the remaining layers.

In you opinion, ss the chassis strength already compromised?

Please advise.. thanks

Last edited by rough512; 07-26-2002 at 03:22 AM.
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 07:57 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Rough

Firstly, FRP stands for fibre reinforced plastic. CF is also an FRP although what is commonly referred to as FRP is normal fibreglass without the carbon. Carbon fibre is ordinary fibreglass that has had carbon injected into the fibres which makes the finish product ie, the chassis much more ridgid. Weight for weight CF is approx 23 times stronger than steel.
IMO the CF chassis would be the way to go for a more ridgid responsive and durable car, Although I was not aware that non carbon chassis were avalable for the TA03.

Secondly, I think the clear plastic you described is just there to protect the CF but I must admit I'm not entirly sure what the clear layer is that your talking about (I havn't seen a TRF 414 close up).
If there is no signs of cracking in the CF itself the chassis should be fine.
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 02:34 AM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

you da man rowdy. thanks for the know how, really. i'll have to see what else is in my bag of questions. i have to get geared up to work with it as it is so messy and itchy. my chassis is cut out, but the bottom edges are a mess from my drill. i'm gonna try a countersink bit to clean them up. any suggestions?
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 11:46 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Seaball

If you hold the chassis flat on a piece of scrap timber and use a sharp drill bit it shouldn't blow out the bottom layer to much.

Alternativly there are speacial drill bits avalible called compression bits that will not blow out the bottom at all, although they are a little on the expensive side. A dowel bit would be less expensive and also give a better result than a normal twist bit.

A countersink will be fine for the holes already drilled, as you will need to countersink them anyway to allow for the set screw to finish flush with the bottom of the chassis.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:20 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Where do you guys get the countersinks? I saw them on mcmaster.com, but there are too many and I'm not sure which is the right one for metric screws. There are many angle versions, from 60 to 120 degrees. Where can I find the appropriate metric countersink?

When you drill with the countersinks, how do you know how deep to drill so the screw head will be flush with the chassis? If you just eyeball it, some screws will sit deeper down in the chassis than others, so some will be flush, others will be sunken in too far, and still others will stick out. Is there some way to measure the depth, and keep the countersink from drilling too far?

Thanks in advance.
Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 07:17 AM   #21
Tech Initiate

Last edited by Cube; 12-23-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 08:18 AM   #22
Tech Regular

For 4-40/3mm screws, usually a 1/4" 45 degree countersink bit is sufficent. Use a drill press and a wood block underneath and take your time and goe slowly ,checking often and you`ll get an eye for it.
saints1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 12:41 AM   #23
Tech Adept

If your going to use a drill press, just get the first hole to the desired depth and then set the press so it stops at that height.

Does anyone layup their own CF, If so how many layers do you use and what weight glass. anyone use a core material for added ridgidity.
Old 07-29-2002, 04:01 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

Default RE: Carbon Fiber Cutting

This is in refrence to carbon fiber cutting, i do it all day and night long. Email me for m ore info... [email protected] Also, check out my website... www.windtunnelracing.com

James,
Wind Tunnel Racing
windtunnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 04:24 PM   #25
Regional Moderator

Default Re: RE: Carbon Fiber Cutting

Quote:
Originally posted by windtunnel
This is in refrence to carbon fiber cutting, i do it all day and night long. Email me for m ore info... [email protected] Also, check out my website... www.windtunnelracing.com

James,
Wind Tunnel Racing
this guy sells some nice sheets of carbon fiber
and makes some nice items also.

thanks james
Ko Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:34 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Have anybody here tried using the Dremel cutoff wheels on CF?

I have a dremel but I still have to buy the cutoff wheel attachment. I need to do some cutting on the upper deck of my 03 to make way for the receiver installed ontop of the servo.

All these talk about custom chassis is giving me the itch to go try it out myself.

rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:50 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

well, i finally finished my chassis. it came out fairly well. i wish i would've used a block when drilling the holes. next time. i found all of my tooling to get dull quickly. the countersink bit was only high speed steel and after four holes started leaving some fibers and it just got worse with time. i'm not sure what the solution is for that. even my router edge trimmer/flush bit was cutting poorly near the end of the outline. oh well, maybe i'll post a pic when i assemble the car. later.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 12:30 AM   #28
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by saints1115
For 4-40/3mm screws, usually a 1/4" 45 degree countersink bit is sufficent. Use a drill press and a wood block underneath and take your time and goe slowly ,checking often and you`ll get an eye for it.
Where did you find 45 degree countersinks? All the ones I see at mcmaster.com are 60, 82, 90, 100, 110, or 120... I haven't seen any 45 ones...

Also, single flute, double flute.. etc, which is best with CF?
Should I get a carbide bit, is it a better value than the High speed steel bits?
Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 06:16 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Evil_S10

One quick Question for everyone. I just bought a carbon fiber shock tower and had to drill a hole bigger. What effect will this do to me since I just drilled it and did not use a respirator?
Evil_S10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 12:34 AM   #30
Tech Adept

No effect what-so-ever.