Wiki Posts
Search

onroad vendors comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default onroad vendors comparison

Hi,

I made a longer break (3years) and I am now back. I am as well moving from offroad nitro to onroad elo. May you give me a short update and a recommendation what car I should order?
I know it is difficult to say, but I want to prevent myself from ordering twice.
The last onroad elo was an Tamiya TA 04 pro (long time ago).
But I am sure a lot has changed.
Is there something in the pipeline of the biggest vendors?
I read Yokomo announced the BD7 for mid Sept. 2012.
What's about XRAY or Asso or HotBodies?

Thanks in advance
racer_hh
Old 08-27-2012, 06:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I am also coming off a 2-3 year hiatus and am curious about this. Previously, I raced a Corally RDX but that's getting tough to find parts for (even more so than when it was newer). I've been looking at the Team Associated TC 6.1 because it seems like parts support will be pretty good, though I've always been impressed by XRAY's quality.

Hopefully someone can chime in and bring us both back up to speed!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If your coming back from a long vacation just make sure you get something that is stocked locally too. Yokomo you will likely need to buy two cars right off the bat as there is no Yokomo USA as of right now. Xray and Associated will be the easiest to get here in the midwest
Old 08-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Agreed, get something that you have really good parts support for. Head down to your lock track and ask around as to what the most popular cars are. These days, most cars will perform similarly, so it's more important to have an easy and ready supply of parts.

For example, in the DFW area, pretty much everyone runs xrays.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks,
and when do they normally announce the car for the next saison. I don't want to buy an "old" car.
Yokomo just announceed. When is X-Ray , Hot Bodies or Asso doing it?

Regards
racer_hh
Old 08-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

XRAY usually releases a new kit every year in the fall\winter. The first batch will be sold out quickly, no doubt.

The other brands, meh, who cares. ...j/k... I think the new HB car was supposed to be released already, but has been pushed back a few times.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Tc6.1 isbrand new for2012. Hotbodies just announced their update the tcxx not sure when thats out. There is vbc as well which has good hype about it.
If your considering paying for a yokomo though id almost get an awesomatix.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Tech Addict

The TC 6.1 has gotten some good user reviews from what I have seen so far. It also has good parts support just about everywhere in the US. I'm leaning towards that unless somewhere near me has good support for XRAY - then I will have a more difficult decision.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hm, really not easy. I like the Asso TC6.1 and it came beginning of the year so it is a new car. T3 2012 seems to be updated soon. And S411 is already a long time available - maybe an updated version comes soon too.

Maybe T3 2012 is best for me but I remember at my offroad days the XRay was good but it was necessary to add some tuning parts to get it to the same level as my Mugen was out of the box.

I read that the TC6.1 is not as reliable as the T3 and the quality of the kit as well as of spare part is not as good. Not sure if this is right But maybe one or the other can give a short update here.

Cheerio
racer_hh
Old 08-28-2012, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer_hh
Hm, really not easy. I like the Asso TC6.1 and it came beginning of the year so it is a new car. T3 2012 seems to be updated soon. And S411 is already a long time available - maybe an updated version comes soon too.

Maybe T3 2012 is best for me but I remember at my offroad days the XRay was good but it was necessary to add some tuning parts to get it to the same level as my Mugen was out of the box.

I read that the TC6.1 is not as reliable as the T3 and the quality of the kit as well as of spare part is not as good. Not sure if this is right But maybe one or the other can give a short update here.

Cheerio
racer_hh
The t3 is a great car out the box. Only option part needed are the ecs which cost
A LOT...Xray will realease a new car withing a couple months and t3 12's will be going cheap if you want to buy something used.

The associated is a good car, but cant take a beating like xray and by the looks of cars in the pits lots of hop ups need to be bought to be good.

This is a new car on the market, but is starting to prove itself on the track.
Parts are also easily available from CRC Racing and guys like horizon hobbies selling parts.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-wildfire.html
Old 08-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

in all honesty at the high end level of 1/10 electric 4wd belt sedans they are all quite capable. there are a lot of preferences that people have (for example, i'm a tamiya fanboy so i have a trf416we) and some have an wider sweet spot range to get the car to be dialed but they are all very capable at that level. in addition to now having many online retailers i would also say that parts availability is pretty decent except for yokomo since there is no US presence.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:09 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nitrobeast
The t3 is a great car out the box. Only option part needed are the ecs which cost
A LOT...Xray will realease a new car withing a couple months and t3 12's will be going cheap if you want to buy something used.

The associated is a good car, but cant take a beating like xray and by the looks of cars in the pits lots of hop ups need to be bought to be good.

This is a new car on the market, but is starting to prove itself on the track.
Parts are also easily available from CRC Racing and guys like horizon hobbies selling parts.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-wildfire.html
When you (and others) say that the Associated "can't take a beating like XRAY" and that it's not as sturdy of a car, what exactly do you mean? Do parts break on XRAYs less often? Do they stay in tune for longer without needing to be adjusted? I see people say things like that but there aren't a lot of examples given, just statements. Also, is the difference large - XRAY parts are expensive and Associated parts are cheap, so there is a balance between being bombproof and just buying an extra set of arms, etc. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pauly6401
When you (and others) say that the Associated "can't take a beating like XRAY" and that it's not as sturdy of a car, what exactly do you mean? Do parts break on XRAYs less often? Do they stay in tune for longer without needing to be adjusted? I see people say things like that but there aren't a lot of examples given, just statements. Also, is the difference large - XRAY parts are expensive and Associated parts are cheap, so there is a balance between being bombproof and just buying an extra set of arms, etc. Thanks!
I can attest to the fact that while the belt driven Associated cars are good and quite nimble, they do tend to break more in less skilled drivers hands (their shaft driven cars like the TC4 tend to hold up better than a TC5/TC6). I have seen board hits that badly broke an Associated car (bent bulkheads) that did not damage an XRAY T2/T3 series of cars. I am not saying XRAYS never break (I have broken mine a time or three), they just seem to break less than other brands (mainly Associated and Tamiya) as the three main brands run at Mikes in Carrollton are XRAY, Associated, with the occasional Tamiya, TOP. or Sakura touring car in the mix. None of them seem to hold up as well as XRAY touring cars. I woudl say the ratio is two or three breaks for other manufacturers to 1 XRAY break. This is especially important that a newer driver not breat too much and get discouraged. That is why I would recommend that a new on road driver pick up a used XRAY, a new T3R or maybe an Associated TC4 Club racer for VTA vs a new kit from another manufacturer.

I currently have an XRAY composite vehicle (T2R Pro FRP chassis, T2 008/009 EU top plate, T2 007 front 2 hole arms, T2 008/009 one hole rear arms, medium rear uprights, medium front steering blocks and 4° C-hubs, T3 38/20 1.9 drive system with a T3 11 rear ball diff in the front and a Spec-R gear diff in the rear (soon to be a T3-12 gear diff), T2 007 steel turnbuckles and tie rods, T3 12 shocks with .28 front springs and the new 2.2-2.6 progressive rear springs with the T3 hard front bumper. This is my VTA car and it is a TANK. It is also a representation of the parts interchangeability that XRAY has (kind of reminds you of the old Johnny Cash song doesn't it ).

Even though XRAY seems to change the chassis every year or two, the wear/breakable/consumable parts (front and rear suspension parts and bearings) interchange from the original T2 released on 2006 all the way up to the T3 12. The only major change suspension wise that they made was to make the shocks shorter from 2008 forward (the seals and shock ends still interchange). Chassis and bulkheads may only interchange for 1 or 2 years but but everything else interchanges. The original T2 and T2 007 were basically one year designs. The 009 was an evolutionary change of the 008. The next major change was 2010 with the new T3, the T3 2011 changed to bell crank steering and the T3 2012 was an evolutionary change and moved the upper inner camber link position and changed the steering servo position.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You seriously just need to choose a car that works for you. I've seen the new Xray car its for sure different but who knows if thats the right car for you. All the companies that are going to be listed are going to be good cars. Xray, Wildfire, AE, Hot Bodies, Tamiya, Yokomo, Awsomatix, etc....etc.... If you can wheel you can wheel. A car that comes out and is new isn't always better. The more expensive car isn't always better. YOU personally have to figure out your budget. Find out how much the add-on's would be to make the car better...ie ecs, different chassis, etc. Then you do need to look at how often you are going to race and make a list of how quick you can get those parts and how available they are. There are people who will be able to run an older car and keep up with a newer car. Whats best for you won't be best for me etc. etc. Just remember to make an informed decision where if your getting used to it having local support and help is nice too.

What ever happened to Rc Car Action Touring Car shootout etc?
Old 08-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A wide front bumper is necessary whatever kit you choose, and will probably solve all toughness issues... Awesomatix anybody???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.