Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Personal lap timer/counter

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 05:09 AM
Tech Master

Default Personal lap timer/counter

Is there anything else out there other that Team Orion/Alex Racing which have been around since... forever? I know spektrum has one but needs its own system to work. Robitronic is more for private races. So that leaves us with??... Been googling but nothing sensible so far.. Anyone?
Old 11-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Rookie

http://www.redrc.net/2009/09/grenit-...30/#more-22223

haven't tried or seen one yet but looks interesting. very expensive though - over 250 Euros.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

$362.50!! Holy mother of....

China, you reading this?!
Old 11-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

Most of us have AMB compatible transponders in our cars....someone should come up with personal AMB compatible loops , which either hook up to laptop or own readers.

I think a portable reader would sell quite well (at the right price). A wireless sector timer would also be welcome.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by cyanyde

+1 bring em china....keep it at $20
Old 11-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

and does that even include the plug to hook up to the computer, that looks to be like 40 bux or so..
Old 11-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gimpex
Most of us have AMB compatible transponders in our cars....someone should come up with personal AMB compatible loops , which either hook up to laptop or own readers.

I think a portable reader would sell quite well (at the right price). A wireless sector timer would also be welcome.
$110 for a PT and you really think that AMb would sell a reader "at the right price"? Does sound like a great idea though.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I was going to say the same thing. I don't think AMB/mylaps will be releasing a personalized decoder and a reasonable price any time soon.

But, my local track will turn the loop on for us and set it to announce on practice days. All we have to do is ask. Do your tracks not do the same?
Old 11-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is there anything else out there other that Team Orion/Alex Racing which have been around since... forever? I know spektrum has one but needs its own system to work. Robitronic is more for private races. So that leaves us with??... Been googling but nothing sensible so far.. Anyone?
My question to you is what's your purpose with it? Meaning... as stated by the thread name.... is it for you and you only as a personal lap counter? Or are you looking for other alternatives to counting laps/times for you and a group of friends? I use the Orion one, and nothings wrong with it. Works great as a "personal" lap counter. What are you looking for?
Old 11-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Tech Rookie

the nice thing about the Orion lap timer is that it gives you better feedback than the track's AMB loop. the Orion lap timer makes a different sound whenever you set a new fastest lap during your run and you can also set a target lap time where it emits a different sound whenever you hit that target lap time. really helpful for experimenting with different racing lines.

that Grenit audio timer would even be more useful because it calls out each lap time. but jeez that price!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
My question to you is what's your purpose with it? Meaning... as stated by the thread name.... is it for you and you only as a personal lap counter? Or are you looking for other alternatives to counting laps/times for you and a group of friends? I use the Orion one, and nothings wrong with it. Works great as a "personal" lap counter. What are you looking for?
i think i know his purpose... the Orion lap counter has been around for a very long time, perhaps now there's something newer and better available. i'm curious about it myself. the only other thing i've come across is that Grenit system.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Does anyone have one for sale? I am wanting to get a personal one for practice and test and tune purposes. Can someone PM me if they have one for sale or know where to get one. Thanks Jerome
Old 08-28-2012, 02:36 AM
Tech Addict

At my local track a guy did a setup with wireless connection and he did something wich i don't know what and somehow i can see my times just using my phone conected to the wireless and my amb transponder. Don't ask me how he did it, but he did it and with an old pc 24h turned on in the track everyone could check the times if you have the ip page for the browser.