ROAR Election

Old 09-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT TO PUSH PEOPLE UP TO MOD??????

What is the water in OH?

Here is the goal, to remove the Pros from Stock. Or another way to say it is to have a Stock class for the Average Joe can race with out dealing with the pros.
Uhhh, what?

I must assume that by these otherwise contradictory posts you're in favor of moving "Pros" in stock to some "Pro-Stock" class....... is that correct?

The stock class that I believe already emulates this formula is called USVTA. It has carefully spec'd esc's, motors, batteries, spec tires, and bodies, and if you kick Nash and Dave Johnson outta the class you won't have any pros running it but Myron

I'm not a VTA racer, Just not my cup of tea. The idea of Turning 17.5 into the same exact rule set aside from a different spec tire, and different body won't increase entries. As has been stated thousands of times over in dozens of different threads, your club can create whatever "SUPER SPEC'd" class it wants to.

Last edited by CypressMidWest; 09-11-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Advil
I'm afraid I would have to disagree.

Right now my "Spec 17.5" car is just as fast as when I used to run Mod with a 9x2 and 2400s. Excessive speed is the issue with mod. The talent pool is very thin for people that can handle the speed or commitment to run the class competitively. Almost anyone could handle the speed back then and only those that could actually drive were competitive. Bottom line was "more" people were comfortable racing mod back then and the turn outs for Mod proved it. It was "THE" class back then.
How big are these tracks that mOd is run on? I mean a smaller carpet track there isn't much time difference. The only reason I wasn't running mod back then was cost of motors, brushes, and batteries. NOw I'm just getting back into the swing of things but With rubber tires now setup is 10 times more crucial. So learning setup comes first.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Uhhh, what?

I must assume that by these otherwise contradictory posts you're in favor of moving "Pros" in stock to some "Pro-Stock" class....... is that correct?

The stock class that I believe already emulates this formula is called USVTA. It has carefully spec'd esc's, motors, batteries, spec tires, and bodies, and if you kick Nash and Dave Johnson outta the class you won't have any pros running it but Myron
I'm in favor of having 2 stock classes.
Stock (a spec class, but what is spec has been open)
Pro Stock (format as stock is today, (17.5 or 13.5 on the motor). I don't think I have not wavered on the 2 classes. The makeup of Stock has a lot of interesting points...
Old 09-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NolanP
How big are these tracks that mOd is run on? I mean a smaller carpet track there isn't much time difference. The only reason I wasn't running mod back then was cost of motors, brushes, and batteries. NOw I'm just getting back into the swing of things but With rubber tires now setup is 10 times more crucial. So learning setup comes first.
As you are switching cars... Strap in the 4.5T motor and give it a go at "The Track" this weekend....
Old 09-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

As you are switching cars... Strap in the 4.5T motor and give it a go at "The Track" this weekend....
Well considering I am signed up for a 17.5TC class in TN next weekend I think It's gonna have a 17.5 motor put in it. After the southern nats a mod will be put in my 12th scale though for testing for Cleveland. Possibly a mod in TC too but we will see. It depends on how the car handles.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NolanP
I think you missed some of us volunteering our time to do such. As well as the very short discussion of who will be the president to address such items. ROAR is extremely good at updating their races and results in full. I would gladly dedicate 6 weekends a year to update a points series for on-road.
Apologies to you and everyone else who has volunteered. It's hard not to paint with a broad brush on a forum. We also should stop tearing those who volunteer apart. Someone who steps up to help out then reads 50 posts about how he screwed up will push anyone out.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jiml
Apologies to you and everyone else who has volunteered. It's hard not to paint with a broad brush on a forum. We also should stop tearing those who volunteer apart. Someone who steps up to help out then reads 50 posts about how he screwed up will push anyone out.
I agree. I am not looking to tear those apart who do spend their time without payment. I would be more than willing to help and try to expand ROAR as much as possible. They have been the governing body for as long as I have been racing RC cars. I would hate to see so much history change over.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 PM
RAL
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

The cars and equipment have got way more expensive! And in these hard times I think many people balk at the initial buy in price and the cost of keeping up with the emerging technology and refinements. You can race off-road with a car that has hardly changed since the early 2000's (b4) and still be relavent globally. That's part of the reason that off-road is more popular. A decent TC is $400-600 just for the roller. And a new model is released every year. Not to mention as Fred said the learning curve for setup on the current TC's is a hefty one. Some people may decide that the amount of time they need to invest to do well and have fun exceeds the time they want to budget into their lives for a "hobby".
Old 09-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Advil
I'm afraid I would have to disagree.

Right now my "Spec 17.5" car is just as fast as when I used to run Mod with a 9x2 and 2400s. Excessive speed is the issue with mod. The talent pool is very thin for people that can handle the speed or commitment to run the class competitively. Almost anyone could handle the speed back then and only those that could actually drive were competitive. Bottom line was "more" people were comfortable racing mod back then and the turn outs for Mod proved it. It was "THE" class back then.
A lot of people feel this way... Not everyone, but a hell of a lot do.... (Greater then 80%)

Everyone - let me try saying it this way.

Fact: at the 2011 and 2012 ROAR on-road Paved Nationals we had 3 TC classes:
- 17.5 Stock
- 13.5 Stock
- Mod

Fact: What we are NOT talking about another class in the format.

The request is to limit the 17.5 Stock class to NON Pro drivers. They can run 13.5 Stock and Mod.

Is that unreasonable?

If not, Great...

Then we can move on to what 17.5 Stock rules would look like.... Which would be a very lively part of this... But I would say we take a long look at IIC as they are doing it, and make that your base to build from or keep as it is.

Also if you include the National Series, I do not think most have a problem with NOT having 17.5 Stock as part of the "Grand Champion" award... As it will be attended mainly by locals...
Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

If someone's up for some data mining, It'd be interesting to see a "what if" breakdown of the above-mentioned races, assigning points and see how it looks. Maybe just use ETS points system? Also, keep an eye for trends, like how many people made it to more than one race, and if known, where they're from.

EDIT: I meant the last couple seasons of the above-mentioned races.

-Mike
Old 09-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by grippgoat
If someone's up for some data mining, It'd be interesting to see a "what if" breakdown of the above-mentioned races, assigning points and see how it looks. Maybe just use ETS points system? Also, keep an eye for trends, like how many people made it to more than one race, and if known, where they're from.

EDIT: I meant the last couple seasons of the above-mentioned races.

-Mike
If someone has the access to the PDF results, send it to me... I will put it to Excel and let the fun begin... I can get ROAR's from the ROAR site.... And yes it will be living document and yes I would be more then happy to post it for others to have.....
Old 09-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Just looked at RC Score Pro - it has a: "Points Program (12 week max)", which I'm sure a quick change could make this race max rather then a week max....

Link
Old 09-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Uhhh, what?

I'm not a VTA racer, Just not my cup of tea. The idea of Turning 17.5 into the same exact rule set aside from a different spec tire, and different body won't increase entries. As has been stated thousands of times over in dozens of different threads, your club can create whatever "SUPER SPEC'd" class it wants to.
hey how I get it this...lol...
Attached Thumbnails ROAR Election-snowbirds_2012_sunday_964.jpg   ROAR Election-user57159_pic1487_1338498652.jpg   ROAR Election-usvta-scale-national-championships-2010-029.jpg   ROAR Election-usvta-scale-nationals-2011-002.jpg   ROAR Election-usvta-scale-nationals-2011-027.jpg  

Old 09-12-2012, 05:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool ROAR 2012 Grand National Champ

Based on a simple pts system of 100=1st, 99=2nd, 98=3rd etc
2012 Season Results from IIC, Snowbirds, Roar Indoor Nationals
TC Mod & 12th Mod points only, no points scored for drivers living outside North America

Kevin Hebert is your theoretical Grand National Champion for 2012
1st 590pts
12 Mod Champ 298pts
TC Mod 292pts (2nd)

Paul Lemeuix
GNC 2nd 584 pts
12th Mod 288pts (3rd)
TC Mod Champ 293pts

Mike Blackstock
GNC 3rd 478pts
12th Mod 293pts (2nd)
Old 09-12-2012, 05:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Just looked at RC Score Pro - it has a: "Points Program (12 week max)", which I'm sure a quick change could make this race max rather then a week max....

Link
The problem with scoring pro and a problem in general with getting results from different tracks is the identifiers used for each class. Everytime you create VTA or Mod Touring, it's given a uniquie identifier that will not match on every single instance of RC Scoring Pro. The points system which is seperate program uses the unique identifiers. It would have to be a manual process unless all tracks shared their class exports and then did not already have a class by the same name also causing conflicts. It almost has to be done manually with a spreadsheet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.