ROAR, look into this....
"I vowed to never let this happen.."
chubbspeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketron View Post
NolanP - Scott and I never had any problem reaching each other and was never made aware of issue such as you mention.
I sent you an email asking questions about the race about certain specs etc. To no avail.

Simply put a lot of questions were being asked and not a lot of answers or responses were received in anything near a timely manner. We were told a week or two before the race and didn't have any idea that there was supposed to be a deadline for entry's etc.

Don't get me wrong its a fun event for sure. I enjoy it but Rules for roar seem like to me that they get updated on the fly and no one updates a book or a website.

According to the rule updates it says I should be able to charge my batteries to 8.5v http://www.roarracing.com/?p=1130

Just simply little stuff that if there was a black and white rule book there wouldn't be these questions.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
According to the rule updates it says I should be able to charge my batteries to 8.5v http://www.roarracing.com/?p=1130
Even I know the rule was changed back to 8.4 volts because everyone was charging them to 8.5 volts and this is dangerous!

Look I know we're always looking for that little bit extra but one tenth of a volt is not going to make a difference. The original rule for charging lipo's was 8.40 volts, but a tolerance of +/-.04 volts was put in to make up for differences in volt meters. How was the rule interpreted by racers? The limit is 8.44 volts.

I was doing tech at a regional event and one racer came up before his heat to check the battery. It came up 8.46 volts. I told him sorry but you're out of spec. He yelled at me saying ROAR has to start approving chargers. No, you have to make sure you charge your battery right!

The limit on battery voltage is a safety issue! while lipo's are much safer than in the past there is still a real possibility of these batteries going on fire, and a lipo fire is not pretty. ROAR did do research into this and all the lipo manufacturers said the safe limit is 4.2 volts per cell. It's up to racers to follow this and make sure their chargers aren't over charging their batteries.

And no artificial means of heating the battery either!
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Even I know the rule was changed back to 8.4 volts because everyone was charging them to 8.5 volts and this is dangerous!

Look I know we're always looking for that little bit extra but one tenth of a volt is not going to make a difference. The original rule for charging lipo's was 8.40 volts, but a tolerance of +/-.04 volts was put in to make up for differences in volt meters. How was the rule interpreted by racers? The limit is 8.44 volts.

I was doing tech at a regional event and one racer came up before his heat to check the battery. It came up 8.46 volts. I told him sorry but you're out of spec. He yelled at me saying ROAR has to start approving chargers. No, you have to make sure you charge your battery right!

The limit on battery voltage is a safety issue! while lipo's are much safer than in the past there is still a real possibility of these batteries going on fire, and a lipo fire is not pretty. ROAR did do research into this and all the lipo manufacturers said the safe limit is 4.2 volts per cell. It's up to racers to follow this and make sure their chargers aren't over charging their batteries.

And no artificial means of heating the battery either!
Im pretty sure he isn't arguing about the battery voltage limit itself.... but the manner in which the information was disseminated.

Just because you think something is "common sense" or should be due to safety concerns, does not make it so. It is ROAR's job to inform their members. We had this same problem before the Carpet Nats this year. No one was quite sure what the battery voltage spec was... The rule book said one thing and guys online were saying another. We didn't find out for sure until the drivers meeting the day the event started.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Im pretty sure he isn't arguing about the battery voltage limit itself.... but the manner in which the information was disseminated.

Just because you think something is "common sense" or should be due to safety concerns, does not make it so. It is ROAR's job to inform their members. We had this same problem before the Carpet Nats this year. No one was quite sure what the battery voltage spec was... The rule book said one thing and guys online were saying another. We didn't find out for sure until the drivers meeting the day the event started.
Did you look on the ROAR website? They will put info like that either in the announcements or in the member forum.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #36
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Did you look on the ROAR website? They will put info like that either in the announcements or in the member forum.
Im pretty sure the point is that the rule book is from 2009/2010 and SHOULD have been updated long ago and not have to dig through archives and updates to find the answers to simple questions being asked at that time.

We didnt have problems getting the rule book updated a couple of years ago. Now updates are non-existent.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #37
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

first offroad is king now always will be so yes the onroad gets hosed on support but that being said having a ranking system would require more support from tracks and for track to be easier to get into the system. like my track I'm a roar member but my track is not a roar track. and most tracks don't believe roar offers them something of value for they cost and hassle so in a region where there is 100 tracks , only they are thinking why I'm I wasting my money on roar membership. it's the part time racers that you need to get in roar and that is the only way a more majority of the tracks will support roar. how to do that is hard as in my region I think people would rather pay a track to run races then be part of a club that would require them to delicate time to club activities like track setup and maintenance. not that there are not clubs that thrive in this day and age it's more that a racer wants to go pay his money and race and go home and not think about it. it's more of a statement on society in general then just the racers. at least in the states. I think clubs work better in other countries where the support base of the country can't handle the stand alone track owner due to costs and time issues. just my .02 euro
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
I sent you an email asking questions about the race about certain specs etc. To no avail.

Simply put a lot of questions were being asked and not a lot of answers or responses were received in anything near a timely manner. We were told a week or two before the race and didn't have any idea that there was supposed to be a deadline for entry's etc.

Don't get me wrong its a fun event for sure. I enjoy it but Rules for roar seem like to me that they get updated on the fly and no one updates a book or a website.

Just simply little stuff that if there was a black and white rule book there wouldn't be these questions.
Hi Nolan,

Searched my emails this morning. The only email i find from you is your question regarding the Hobbywing V3 esc which i answered.

The rule book has NOT been updated agree. But the website and Facebook site have been. Yes i understand the rule book should contain all rules. Not wanting to start that
Old 08-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #39
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
One thing I have learned though all these years with Roar.

The president has very little influence or control of how Roar does things .
Its the self appointed ex-con that controls .
Even the membership has very little say in the making of the organization ..
hey george, tell them the part where you want to save on road by putting in some jumps and running rally cars......

yea he really posted that..
Old 08-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Acually facebook probably has better updates than the website.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
The president nomination needs to allow delegation and get many things accomplished with the help of advisers or the executive committee. It should not be a single person making decisions like those items mentioned above. I believe if the organization wants to get things back inline, then things like rules, formats, etc. need to be put out for public review/comment periods and then informed decisions can be made by the executive committee on the final outcome. All the voting and results should be made publicly available and not behind close doors by the executive committee. If this is done in small pieces quarterly, things can be updated in a cycle which members can then expect to see changes rather than the changes that come after the fact. As it is right now, the bomb is dropped, racers/vendors scream and then ROAR has another black eye. The internet we use everyday to access this forum and it's protocols were not built on sole opinions of seven people. They went through proposals via RFC's which provided comment periods from peers and those interested to steer the future in the right direction.

Read the by-laws for ROAR and see if they are following them today. The mechanisms are in place, but are we really following them? How many people even have an idea that ROAR has by-laws?

Many of us are quick to critique ROAR and it's processes, but are you willing to help be a part of the solution. That's what it takes. It's 100% volunteer and there is only one paid member and it is not the president. Are you willing to give up your vacation and a chance at racing a national event to maintain a neutral position and help out in Race Management Teams? Can you bring people from all walks of life together and accomplish a goal at the end of weekend of getting 30 races and mains completed and work through all the personal differences and problems that can come up during the day?
Are you available for phone calls at any given time to make ruling decisions in the middle of an event you were not able to attend? Can you help keep racing fun, affordable and safe?

Oh, and do you still work your normal full time job which may be outside the RC industry all together and have a family to still take care of. We need to thank anyone that steps up to help in these positions and work with them to accomplish a common end goal.

And finally, how many people posting on this forum are ROAR members? There are plenty of opinions over here, but if you want to be heard, why not join ROAR and be a part of this next election where your vote can be a representation of your opinion.
This is a good post.

By the way in my own opinion this is what I feel needs to be done.

First you need a President.

Then you should really have for 4 Divisions with a Chair Person for each.

1) On Road Nitro
2) Off Road Nitro
3) On Road Electric
4) Off Road Electric

Each Division with there own Rule Book.

Let's face it On Road, Off Road, Nitro and Electric are in no way the same. You cannot run these events the same. Also I think rule books need to be sent out to all members when they renew their membership.

If you want to seat the Nats by Regional results they forget the resort. Just an idea. As a Regional Director it is hard to get tracks to host an Regional Event also.

Everyone has some good ideas but when it comes time to ask and get people to help out the line is very small. So unless you are willing to help out........Best to keep your opinions to yourself. There is way to many internet tough guys who hide behind screen names.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #42
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarry View Post
This is a good post.

Then you should really have for 4 Divisions with a Chair Person for each.

1) On Road Nitro
2) Off Road Nitro
3) On Road Electric
4) Off Road Electric

Each Division with there own Rule Book.

Let's face it On Road, Off Road, Nitro and Electric are in no way the same. You cannot run these events the same. Also I think rule books need to be sent out to all members when they renew their membership.

If you want to seat the Nats by Regional results they forget the resort. Just an idea. As a Regional Director it is hard to get tracks to host an Regional Event also.

Everyone has some good ideas but when it comes time to ask and get people to help out the line is very small. So unless you are willing to help out........Best to keep your opinions to yourself. There is way to many internet tough guys who hide behind screen names.
So Dave does this mean your going to run you got my vote 4sure
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketron View Post
NolanP - Scott and I never had any problem reaching each other and was never made aware of issue such as you mention.
Calling you on this one... BS

You received e-mails from asking for clarification, and to this day have not responded. I even texted you.

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.

Last edited by bvoltz; 08-28-2012 at 03:44 PM.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Typically only the membership is allow to change the by-laws of a non-for-profit, NOT the executive group. It is the responsibility of the executive group to govern based on the by-laws that it's membership has provided. In the current format, it is a bit like putting the fox in charge of the hen house.

I would need to review the Articles of Incorporation of ROAR to figure how this non-for-profit was setup. Anyone have them?

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #45
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarry View Post
This is a good post.

Stay classy David.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote