R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Been a non supporting Roar for years now ...

Will join back and vote if someone steps up and brings back

the local regional programs & make the regional count for the National ...
WOW....I am in shock of what I just read!

A regional qualifier system for the nationals does sound interesting to bring some of the local racing back and bring importance to the nationals. But the problem in the past has always been getting regional directors that give enough of a crap to actually do their part as well as the rest of ROAR.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
WOW....I am in shock of what I just read!

A regional qualifier system for the nationals does sound interesting to bring some of the local racing back and bring importance to the nationals. But the problem in the past has always been getting regional directors that give enough of a crap to actually do their part as well as the rest of ROAR.

EA
WOW...I didn't think I did that bad....

Steve Dunn
sdunnmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #18
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdunnmcp View Post
WOW...I didn't think I did that bad....

Steve Dunn
OK....Some of the regional directors. LOL I guess on that note I have heard that some region directors had just as much trouble getting in touch with the people at ROAR to get answers on stuff. So its a two way street.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I thought the Regional format for qualifying to the Nats always faltered for fear of lack of participants attending the Nats. Making it less than financially viable for any club to host the event. Guess it would be different if every Nats held was turning people away, but that doesn't seem to be the problem at the moment, or for that matter for quite some time, if ever.

Aren't the people that are the ones that should be competeing at the Nats already attending those events? I mean the people that have the best chances of winning, they seem to be at those events already reguardless if they have won a Regional or not.

Or I'm really missing the bigger picture here.

Our club has just recently become a ROAR club, and that hasn't happened since the late 80's.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
I thought the Regional format for qualifying to the Nats always faltered for fear of lack of participants attending the Nats. Making it less than financially viable for any club to host the event. Guess it would be different if every Nats held was turning people away, but that doesn't seem to be the problem at the moment, or for that matter for quite some time, if ever.

Aren't the people that are the ones that should be competeing at the Nats already attending those events? I mean the people that have the best chances of winning, they seem to be at those events already reguardless if they have won a Regional or not.

Or I'm really missing the bigger picture here.

Our club has just recently become a ROAR club, and that hasn't happened since the late 80's.
No... you aren't really missing the bigger picture.

This idea would not work with on-road racing in our current climate... maybe 10 years ago, but not now. All it would do is limit the number of viable entrants to a given Nats, thereby reducing the revenue and decreasing the number of facilities bidding for said championship... Exactly like you described.

Honestly, just about the only RC class I see this regional qualification idea working for is 1/8th gas off-road(buggy). You have 1 class that is hugely popular pretty much all across the country, you have Nationals that have to turn down entries and impose entry limits every year, etc, etc.

Even with electric off-road, this idea wouldn't work all that well. While hugely popular overall, the classes that are popular on a given year depend on a number of factors... ie: in 2011, the Stock classes had more than twice the number of entrants as this year. Obviously it is a Worlds qual year, yadda, yadda, yadda... the point being that all of these factors need to be taken into consideration when determining the number of regional qualifiers allowed in each class, or this type of system will only limit revenue.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #21
Team Tekin

ROAR needs to be an organization people want to belong to instead of 'have to' belong to for a few major races. It needs to provide some value that people appreciate and recognize. We need leadership that can bridge the gaps and create an organization that people want to be part of. It is not like it is expensive... So we need to figure out why people are so negative about it and fix it.

So who do we peer pressure into it that has all the right social skills and understands the big picture?

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 08-30-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The president nomination needs to allow delegation and get many things accomplished with the help of advisers or the executive committee. It should not be a single person making decisions like those items mentioned above. I believe if the organization wants to get things back inline, then things like rules, formats, etc. need to be put out for public review/comment periods and then informed decisions can be made by the executive committee on the final outcome. All the voting and results should be made publicly available and not behind close doors by the executive committee. If this is done in small pieces quarterly, things can be updated in a cycle which members can then expect to see changes rather than the changes that come after the fact. As it is right now, the bomb is dropped, racers/vendors scream and then ROAR has another black eye. The internet we use everyday to access this forum and it's protocols were not built on sole opinions of seven people. They went through proposals via RFC's which provided comment periods from peers and those interested to steer the future in the right direction.

Read the by-laws for ROAR and see if they are following them today. The mechanisms are in place, but are we really following them? How many people even have an idea that ROAR has by-laws?

Many of us are quick to critique ROAR and it's processes, but are you willing to help be a part of the solution. That's what it takes. It's 100% volunteer and there is only one paid member and it is not the president. Are you willing to give up your vacation and a chance at racing a national event to maintain a neutral position and help out in Race Management Teams? Can you bring people from all walks of life together and accomplish a goal at the end of weekend of getting 30 races and mains completed and work through all the personal differences and problems that can come up during the day?
Are you available for phone calls at any given time to make ruling decisions in the middle of an event you were not able to attend? Can you help keep racing fun, affordable and safe?

Oh, and do you still work your normal full time job which may be outside the RC industry all together and have a family to still take care of. We need to thank anyone that steps up to help in these positions and work with them to accomplish a common end goal.

And finally, how many people posting on this forum are ROAR members? There are plenty of opinions over here, but if you want to be heard, why not join ROAR and be a part of this next election where your vote can be a representation of your opinion.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
The president nomination needs to allow delegation and get many things accomplished with the help of advisers or the executive committee. It should not be a single person making decisions like those items mentioned above. I believe if the organization wants to get things back inline, then things like rules, formats, etc. need to be put out for public review/comment periods and then informed decisions can be made by the executive committee on the final outcome. All the voting and results should be made publicly available and not behind close doors by the executive committee. If this is done in small pieces quarterly, things can be updated in a cycle which members can then expect to see changes rather than the changes that come after the fact. As it is right now, the bomb is dropped, racers/vendors scream and then ROAR has another black eye. The internet we use everyday to access this forum and it's protocols were not built on sole opinions of seven people. They went through proposals via RFC's which provided comment periods from peers and those interested to steer the future in the right direction.

Read the by-laws for ROAR and see if they are following them today. The mechanisms are in place, but are we really following them? How many people even have an idea that ROAR has by-laws?

Many of us are quick to critique ROAR and it's processes, but are you willing to help be a part of the solution. That's what it takes. It's 100% volunteer and there is only one paid member and it is not the president. Are you willing to give up your vacation and a chance at racing a national event to maintain a neutral position and help out in Race Management Teams? Can you bring people from all walks of life together and accomplish a goal at the end of weekend of getting 30 races and mains completed and work through all the personal differences and problems that can come up during the day?
Are you available for phone calls at any given time to make ruling decisions in the middle of an event you were not able to attend? Can you help keep racing fun, affordable and safe?

Oh, and do you still work your normal full time job which may be outside the RC industry all together and have a family to still take care of. We need to thank anyone that steps up to help in these positions and work with them to accomplish a common end goal.

And finally, how many people posting on this forum are ROAR members? There are plenty of opinions over here, but if you want to be heard, why not join ROAR and be a part of this next election where your vote can be a representation of your opinion.
Because at the end of the day I don't have a clue who any of these guys are.
There was so much lack of communication setting up this years on-road nationals. I've sent emails and asked the track official and higher ups. They didn't know the rules because they change and aren't clearly updated.

The biggest problem is that roar members aren't informed of the changes. So honestly I am coming here to ask which current roar members even want to step up and start running the show. What changes if any do you want to see to help touring car thrive?

Btw yes I'm a roar member.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
There was so much lack of communication setting up this years on-road nationals. I've sent emails and asked the track official and higher ups. They didn't know the rules because they change and aren't clearly updated.

The biggest problem is that roar members aren't informed of the changes. So honestly I am coming here to ask which current roar members even want to step up and start running the show. What changes if any do you want to see to help touring car thrive?

From TekinPrez: Currently the rules require that any candidate must have held a previous ROAR position. I believe this includes previous and current regional directors and committee members. This does limit the field to those that have been involved at some level in the past.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:

NolanP - Scott and I never had any problem reaching each other and was never made aware of issue such as you mention.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ROAR Election-wearable_sandwich_sign.jpg
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketron View Post
NolanP - Scott and I never had any problem reaching each other and was never made aware of issue such as you mention.
I know for me it was frustrating having the dates appear to be confirmed and then changed. If you look in the Nats thread at the beginning, the dates were released originally as a three day event like Carpet Nats ended up being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbt3 View Post
Found this on their Facebook page:

Leisure Hours Raceway is proud to announce will be hosting the 2012 R.O.A.R. Electric On Road Paved Nationals on August 24-26 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz View Post
I just found out the dates: August 24 - 26....

Hope this is correct....
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
Are these dates official yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz View Post

So I flew to Chicago to get a feel and some practice because I had those "confirmed" three dates open. Then the dates were changed/extended, (which also happened at Carpet Nats, but shortened instead of lengthened) and I am not able to attend.

This situation seems to me to represent what was mentioned...

"There was so much lack of communication setting up this years on-road nationals. I've sent emails and asked the track official and higher ups. They didn't know the rules because they change and aren't clearly updated.

The biggest problem is that roar members aren't informed of the changes."
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

On the regional issue:
How does setting the national qualifying order by regional finishing position, including the sponsored pro racers. If you skip the regional you end up in a lower qualifier until the first resort.
This way no one is omitted from the national, but makes the regional actually worth something.

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
Dirla for president!
+1

Quote:
With how involved he is in going to RC races etc that would be a good choice.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
That guy cant get to his own track in time to open it up much less deal with ROAR stuff! LOL. He's a busy guy really.

EA
thats what we are for...lol..

IMO...which is hard to judge, cause Im sitting in court, instead at the Pav Nats getting some....Ugggg...

But, I think somebody like Dirla who has a connection with the major and regional events would be the idea. Somebody that travels and talks to the racers, and gathers info and ideas. Somebody that will amke a decision and stick with it even if its not popular. And simply do whats best for on-road rc racing, to get it growing and bringing in new ppl, constantly

If there is a vote for members...Ill vote Robert Nash Dirla
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #30
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekin Prez View Post
The discussion is not really what to change, it is who is going to provide the leadership to decide what should be changed if anything.

ROAR needs to be an organization people want to belong to instead of 'have to' belong to for a few major races. It needs to provide some value that people appreciate and recognize. We need leadership that can bridge the gaps and create an organization that people want to be part of. It is not like it is expensive... So we need to figure out why people are so negative about it and fix it.

So who do we peer pressure into it that has all the right social skills and understands the big picture?

One thing I have learned though all these years with Roar.

The president has very little influence or control of how Roar does things .
Its the self appointed ex-con that controls .
Even the membership has very little say in the making of the organization ..
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote