R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #241
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just to add some info to the points series discussion...

I've been racing long enough to remember when tracks had point series to determine a track champion. Those went away a long time ago because no one was interested in running them any more. (IMO there should be track championships)

Also in Region 2 they have been determining the off road regional champion based on a short series (3 races I think) at different tracks. There is someone running for Region 2 Director who is promising to eliminate the series format and replace it with a single race. You can see his thread in the racing forum.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #242
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post

I've been racing long enough to remember when tracks had point series to determine a track champion. Those went away a long time ago because no one was interested in running them any more. (IMO there should be track championships)

Also in Region 2 they have been determining the off road regional champion based on a short series (3 races I think) at different tracks. There is someone running for Region 2 Director who is promising to eliminate the series format and replace it with a single race. You can see his thread in the racing forum.
We ran a points series out here and the turn out for the races was bigger than the on-road nats. It was Mini's, Usgt, VTA, 17.5 TC. We had 130 entries for a one day race. Most people followed the point series here rather than practice for Nationals.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #243
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Based on a simple pts system of 100=1st, 99=2nd, 98=3rd etc
2012 Season Results from IIC, Snowbirds, Roar Indoor Nationals
TC Mod & 12th Mod points only, no points scored for drivers living outside North America

Kevin Hebert is your theoretical Grand National Champion for 2012
1st 590pts
12 Mod Champ 298pts
TC Mod 292pts (2nd)

Paul Lemeuix
GNC 2nd 584 pts
12th Mod 288pts (3rd)
TC Mod Champ 293pts

Mike Blackstock
GNC 3rd 478pts
12th Mod 293pts (2nd)
I personally would want to see 12th and TC seperate. Plus why would you not score international drivers? Your trying to build a base not seperate it. I would welcome anyone who would want to join ROAR's (hypotheical) championship. If hara showed up to all the races and won why shouldnt he get the trophy?
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #244
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post

Currently in Region 2 we run an offroad series in the summer. This is separate from our regional champion race at this time. This is a 5 race series to keep racers within our region working with local tracks. For our 1st winter indoor offroad series starting in November, we are going to run a 3 race series and we are going to use this to crown our regional champion for 1/10 classes. We are using this as our trial to see if the racers and tracks like the idea and then next summer if all goes well in the winter with the series and elections, we plan on using this same model for our 1/8 regionals.

This series was really started to help local tracks get more attention from regional racers and to bring together racers to a common facility on a weekend. We have established great friendships, had a lot of fun, promoted the series sponsors, ran safe events and put every dollar from the series back into the series itself. We give out awards/plaques at the end of the series in addition to sponsors give aways throughout each event. In addition with proceeds from entry fees, the tracks still get their normal entry fee, higher entry counts, and money collected by the series director is then used to purchase additional prizes to be given away at each event. At the last event we also provide lunch to the participants from the funds generated. Maintenance items needed to run the series such as paper, marshalling cones, ups power supplies for lap counting computer, car number decals, etc. are also paid for out of the entry fees. Some of the latter items we have learned about through different experiences within the series. More info can be found at http://www.roarregion2racing.com

Our ROAR membership numbers over the past two years has increased and the offroad crowd has found this to be successful. We are looking for some onroad help in Region 2 to establish a similar system with onroad subject matter experts to assist. Greg Sharpe has been instrumental in providing us assistance from the onroad side and we probably need two more of him with some additional track representation from our region. It's volunteerism from myself and the regional director, Steve Mruk, and of course the track owners and racers that have made this series quite a success over the past two years. It's no secret on this thread that our regional director is going to take a run for the president position. I will be running for the Region 2 Director position and providing support as both of us have over the last two years. It cannot be done by just two people. We all know about some of the problems, but do you want to be a part of the solution. That is why I have been part of ROAR and the assistant director for Region 2, because I know it will not evolve into a future vision without team leaders.

Last edited by jmackani; 09-12-2012 at 12:26 PM.
jmackani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #245
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
The problem with scoring pro and a problem in general with getting results from different tracks is the identifiers used for each class. Everytime you create VTA or Mod Touring, it's given a uniquie identifier that will not match on every single instance of RC Scoring Pro. The points system which is seperate program uses the unique identifiers. It would have to be a manual process unless all tracks shared their class exports and then did not already have a class by the same name also causing conflicts. It almost has to be done manually with a spreadsheet.
I understand, but if we have an agreement, then we can Agree to have a Standard Scoring Class Name...

Example:
NP - TC Pro Stock
NP - TC Mod
etc...

The NP in the front for National Points, which is different from the Local Pro Stock class.

I also have a question into Doug, if important and export to a Master system is possible to generate the Point's standings....

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #246
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
I personally would want to see 12th and TC seperate. Plus why would you not score international drivers? Your trying to build a base not seperate it. I would welcome anyone who would want to join ROAR's (hypotheical) championship. If hara showed up to all the races and won why shouldnt he get the trophy?
1. Those were the Big 3 races from last year
2. Hara, and other world class drivers did not attend all 3 races
3. It's not a World Championship
4. Separate points are shown as well

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #247
Tech Elite

For something different -
Interesting: Motor compliance issue

Old 09-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #248
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Based on a simple pts system of 100=1st, 99=2nd, 98=3rd etc
2012 Season Results from IIC, Snowbirds, Roar Indoor Nationals
TC Mod & 12th Mod points only, no points scored for drivers living outside North America

Kevin Hebert is your theoretical Grand National Champion for 2012
1st 590pts
12 Mod Champ 298pts
TC Mod 292pts (2nd)

Paul Lemeuix
GNC 2nd 584 pts
12th Mod 288pts (3rd)
TC Mod Champ 293pts

Mike Blackstock
GNC 3rd 478pts
12th Mod 293pts (2nd)
LOOKS SIMPLE ENOUGH TO ME...

The results are posted by each race/event anyway...just take the results from the big 3 and crown a grand champ at that race...

I would think that it would breakdown to a 4 different classes and champs....

TC mod/stock
12 mod/stock

and just for giggles..naw j/k

and if the person just happens to win 2 classes, fine...but you cant cross...mod and stock
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #249
Tech Elite

Quote:
1. Those were the Big 3 races from last year
2. Hara, and other world class drivers did not attend all 3 races
3. It's not a World Championship
4. Separate points are shown as well
Maybe not but Hara has raced in the IIC before. All I am saying is we are talking about expansion. Why limit it? The odds that he would run all the races would be low anyway. I'm sure that if I won every ETS race and paid all my fees they probably wouldn't look at me and say that well. Your not from the correct country. Maybe they would what do I know.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
Old 09-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #250
Tech Fanatic

There's a lot of good discussion here. I wanted to drop in and let you know that this has been discussed for a long period of time within ROAR to see if it would be possible. There are a lot of little details that would need to be sorted out, so there's more to it than meets the eye, but it's possible and we're going to work towards that goal. We're contacting some of the people in charge of the events to see if it would be possible, but I think we have some good ideas that will take a series of races into consideration for a Championship Series. I have to run out now, but I'll stop back in to share the ideas we've been discussing.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #251
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
Maybe not but Hara has raced in the IIC before. All I am saying is we are talking about expansion. Why limit it? The odds that he would run all the races would be low anyway. I'm sure that if I won every ETS race and paid all my fees they probably wouldn't look at me and say that well. Your not from the correct country. Maybe they would what do I know.
ROAR is about a North America Champ which qualifies for the worlds... It is in the ROAR rule book.... ROAR nationals are restricted to North America participants... Just stating a current fact, nothing more....

Old 09-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #252
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

While using my rudimentary skills to compile results from the Big 3 races last year, couldn't help but notice how Stacked the comp is in Mod
Very few world class drivers compete in stock classes

Not all of the top NA drivers run both stock and mod, so taking that into consideration, it seems to be a Grand National Champ, one must drive TC Mod, and 12th mod, to compete against the best of the best

From that a worthy On Road champ from 2 disciplines is crowned
Truly that should be the outright top driver for the season

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #253
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
There's a lot of good discussion here. I wanted to drop in and let you know that this has been discussed for a long period of time within ROAR to see if it would be possible. There are a lot of little details that would need to be sorted out, so there's more to it than meets the eye, but it's possible and we're going to work towards that goal. We're contacting some of the people in charge of the events to see if it would be possible, but I think we have some good ideas that will take a series of races into consideration for a Championship Series. I have to run out now, but I'll stop back in to share the ideas we've been discussing.
Talking with Doug to see if his software can do this or help in providing an Excel file to help with a manual process.

I think we are very close to having RC Score Pro able to do it... The key is the Class ID, Race (event) ID, Driver ID (this is the ugly one, but again, my name can be in the system twice with a Code for the national points. Example: Barry Voltz for club racing on the LH system, then for the 2012 Nationals, I'm entered as Barry Voltz - NP or something like these....

Thus they are setup on a Master system, exported to the next race system, after the race that race system exports and sends back to the master system, points are updated and published and then repeated for the next race...

Anyway more to come....

For the details, push them out to some of the membership... A number of us are willing to be the worker bees.... under a ROAR person.... Example: Like here in Chicago, we could work via Rob King's direction to get the tasks done....

Remember your network... Leverage the network.....

Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #254
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz View Post
ROAR is about a North America Champ which qualifies for the worlds... It is in the ROAR rule book.... ROAR nationals are restricted to North America participants... Just stating a current fact, nothing more....
Fair enough. But I know some big names do come to the IIC. I think Hara ran 17.5 there a year or two ago.

No I don't worship Hara but it was the first name that came to mind that ran at the IIC.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
Old 09-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #255
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz View Post
Talking with Doug to see if his software can do this or help in providing an Excel file to help with a manual process.

I think we are very close to having RC Score Pro able to do it... The key is the Class ID, Race (event) ID, Driver ID (this is the ugly one, but again, my name can be in the system twice with a Code for the national points. Example: Barry Voltz for club racing on the LH system, then for the 2012 Nationals, I'm entered as Barry Voltz - NP or something like these....

Thus they are setup on a Master system, exported to the next race system, after the race that race system exports and sends back to the master system, points are updated and published and then repeated for the next race...

Anyway more to come....

For the details, push them out to some of the membership... A number of us are willing to be the worker bees.... under a ROAR person.... Example: Like here in Chicago, we could work via Rob King's direction to get the tasks done....

Remember your network... Leverage the network.....
Our series we use the same laptop, but are considering this same approach so we can use the tracks computers that we travel to. I am also thinking we can import the classes from a standard naming convention and then at the end of each event export those zip files out to be taken to the next event. The only problem I see from Doug's perspective and not having the capability to push this out to all scoring pro owners. I know when I need a fix it seems to get done for me and then no one else may ever get the fix if they do not come and ask for it. Scoring Pro almost needs a patch super Tuesday like Microsoft does so everyone with a valid version can get updates. Stability of the database in doing some of these updates has been problematic also. Then we are assuming all facilities only use scoring pro software. If the data format for exchange was defined by some standards body in a schema where unique identifiers could be maintained for classes, then any scoring program could be configured to export in a format which can be accepted. If you know the class names where the ID needs to change, Doug has provided me a SQL statement to align id's with different class names so they calculate correctly in the points system. RCSignup would be a great place for a unique identifier to be used by drivers across many different tracks. It's function or a website similar to be used by all tracks would be the place to house this info. ROAR's website could probably have a feature like RCSignup where each member who already has their own member number could be exported into a format like csv to be imported with standard class id's into scoring pro. The payment part is another feature that most track owners I know currently hate the web based idea for entries.

Last edited by jmackani; 09-12-2012 at 09:33 AM.
jmackani is offline   Reply With Quote