Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 pancar vs 1/12

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 1/10 pancar vs 1/12

Hey guys Im thinking about getting a pan car for a carpet track to drive when I'm not occupied with offroad. I already have my mind set on pan cars due to ease of maintenance, speed, and handling. Any way I won't be racing very much. And Im Curious if their are any differences other than size with the 1/10 and 1/12 scale pan cars. So far I've considered Xray and Crc. Thanks any help would be great.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not much difference, just size.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cool

Originally Posted by 3racers
Hey guys Im thinking about getting a pan car for a carpet track to drive when I'm not occupied with offroad. I already have my mind set on pan cars due to ease of maintenance, speed, and handling. Any way I won't be racing very much. And Im Curious if their are any differences other than size with the 1/10 and 1/12 scale pan cars. So far I've considered Xray and Crc. Thanks any help would be great.
If you haven't seen a 12th scale race you need to. They are very fast for their size. 10th scale pan is a class that is not very popular but 12th has never died off. They are both easy to set up and race but can be very twitchy if set up wrong. CRC has a very good car called the gen xi. If you cant find that one get the gen XL which is before the gen XI and can be changed to the gen XI. CRC has a conversation kit for the gen XL. 12th also runs 1c lipo's and as far as I know most classes run 13.5 stock. It all depends on where you will race it. You don't need a lot of replacement parts but need different front springs and different oils for the front spindles, tubes, and center shock. Find out what compound foams you will need for where you will race and a good starting point for gearing. Good luck and go race!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blackscale
If you haven't seen a 12th scale race you need to. They are very fast for their size. 10th scale pan is a class that is not very popular but 12th has never died off. They are both easy to set up and race but can be very twitchy if set up wrong. CRC has a very good car called the gen xi. If you cant find that one get the gen XL which is before the gen XI and can be changed to the gen XI. CRC has a conversation kit for the gen XL. 12th also runs 1c lipo's and as far as I know most classes run 13.5 stock. It all depends on where you will race it. You don't need a lot of replacement parts but need different front springs and different oils for the front spindles, tubes, and center shock. Find out what compound foams you will need for where you will race and a good starting point for gearing. Good luck and go race!
Thanks for the help, ive seen them around our track they are wicked fast. do you have an opinion on Xray kits?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Haven't seen any in person most guys here run the 12r5.1 or the crc gen xi or gen xl.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blackscale
Haven't seen any in person most guys here run the 12r5.1 or the crc gen xi or gen xl.
Ok, it turns out they only race onroad on Thursdays at my track and I only come there on Saturdays or Sunday's with my family. So until I find another track to drive on I won be racing onroad any time soon. so it would be a waste to get a real high end car if I can't race it. I could still drive it solo during the weekend.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok, it turns out they only race onroad on Thursdays at my track and I only come there on Saturdays or Sunday's with my family. So until I find another track to drive on I won be racing onroad any time soon. so it would be a waste to get a real high end car if I can't race it. I could still drive it solo during the weekend.
The CRC gen xi is only 180, I got the XL cause thats all they had but got it for 180.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Similar setup between 10th and 12th scale. A 10th scale with a 13.5 motor and 1s battery will have similar lap times to 12th scale with a 17.5 motor. IMHO the 10th scale will feel less twitchy due to it's increased mass and length. If you ever plan on racing you will be more apt to find a 12th scale race as they out number the 10th scale by a large margin.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Most 1/12th scale cars are used for road course and 1/10th scale for oval. Some tracks even offer 1/12th oval racing too.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:08 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

a WGT car will cost a couple dollars more than the same 1/12 car, but the spec tires will last longer, and it will be easier to drive fast, i find the 1/12 to be a little more fussy. for me i am generally a little quicker with a stock wgt compared to a stock 1/12.

regarding Xray, the only person i know with one really likes it but that was after he started running the speed merchant conversion. for value, it is hard to beat CRC, but a speed merchant with 'oldskool' frontend also seems a pretty good value if you don't mind the servo install.

Moose, you just need to try a WGT car then you will reccomend it!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys for all the help I really appreciate it.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Hi mate, both 12th and GT10 chassis's need to built precisely or won't handle correctly. The GT car will be easier to drive due to the increased grip from the larger tyres and the fact that they are not stressed running a 1c/10.5 setup (very underpowered). I LOVE racing mod 12th cars due to the speed and driving precision needed, however GT cars are also great but in a more 'relaxing' way.

Cheers.