Wiki Posts
Search

GT car on a budget, a reasonable budget

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default GT car on a budget, a reasonable budget

So I've finished with the build of my FGX . Want to move on to building another favourite style of race car I love . LeMans style GT from a 4WD chasis set up ...

here's the thing, don't want an RTR with the radio and everything already built and painted as it takes the fun out but I do want something along the lines of the new 3Racing Sakura D3 or Zero S, HPI Pro4 or E10 ... something good and solid and adjstable with some reasonable upgrades freely available out there ...

i've found a sweet lotus body that would be perfect for the build and i'd be driving on pavement mostly so i'd like to know where to start with a decent chasis set up and move from there ... thanks.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The Zero S would be a good choice, but there are a few needed hop ups to make it work well, and to make things easier for you. Head over to the zero s thread in there, I'm sure the guide has been posted 1000 times...

The D3 is a drift chassis. But it could be an interesting TC, I've seen plenty of custom cars on here that attempt what a lot of drift cars, and even more so the D3 have which is an extremely in line weight distribution. If you were to use a shorty lipo I'd imagine the D3 would be a pretty balanced car.

What i'm not sure about with a car like the D3 is what kind of camber/Ackerman/roll centre adjustments can be made. Or how efficient the 3 belt system is. The D3 is also setup with CS ratio, which you wouldn't really want for an on road tc.

So there may be a lot of obstacles to overcome with the D3 but it could be worth it in the long run.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

You may need to check the shell for clearance too. Some shells might not fit on that front mounted motor sakura d3. Others might have an extremely low bonnet and will require IFS style shocks or a very low shock tower.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

what are peoples thoughts on the TB-03 and TA05v.2 kits .. found a really good workable price for the kits and not much difference in the two price wise ...

i guess it's a belt vs shaft drive debate but what about tuning the camber/caster/roll etc? how much do you need to spend in the long run to really make them perform well?