Like Tree5Likes

Hot Bodies TCXX

Old 06-10-2013, 08:49 PM
  #1156  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (32)
 
mxgregg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 610
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

I just got tamiya blank 6 whole pistons . What size should I drill the holes and what weight oil for norcal running modified? I'm running blue springs all around.
mxgregg is offline  
Old 06-10-2013, 08:51 PM
  #1157  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (32)
 
mxgregg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 610
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Fred is awesome. Always helpful and always positive.
mxgregg is offline  
Old 06-11-2013, 07:45 AM
  #1158  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
jag88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,122
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mxgregg View Post
I just got tamiya blank 6 whole pistons . What size should I drill the holes and what weight oil for norcal running modified? I'm running blue springs all around.

1.3 on the hole dia.

Not sure on the oil. Hara ran 2000 at the WC but that's Hara ...

Do you have a part # on those Tamiya pistons ?
Thanks.
jag88 is offline  
Old 06-11-2013, 07:51 AM
  #1159  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (32)
 
mxgregg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 610
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Tamiya # 42165


Originally Posted by jag88 View Post
1.3 on the hole dia.

Not sure on the oil. Hara ran 2000 at the WC but that's Hara ...

Do you have a part # on those Tamiya pistons ?
Thanks.
mxgregg is offline  
Old 06-12-2013, 08:18 PM
  #1160  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (32)
 
mxgregg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 610
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

I just stripped out a 20 tooth pulley. I see they come in 18, 19, 20 What are the different sizes for and do you always have to use the 20 for the small back belt to keep the tension right? Are they to give you different drive ratios for the front wheels?
mxgregg is offline  
Old 06-12-2013, 08:31 PM
  #1161  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
Fred Hubbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Inglewood, CA
Posts: 2,721
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mxgregg View Post
I just stripped out a 20 tooth pulley. I see they come in 18, 19, 20 What are the different sizes for and do you always have to use the 20 for the small back belt to keep the tension right? Are they to give you different drive ratios for the front wheels?
I've never used any other than the 20T pulley. Changing the pulley size will alter the internal drive ratio which will affect your FDR. Brushless motors tend to perform better the closer the internal drive ratio is to 2.0. You should be able to rotate the bearing eccentric to loosen or tighten the belt. You could also use the #2 eccentric as well to adjust the belt tension if the #5 doesn't get the job done.
Fred Hubbard is offline  
Old 06-12-2013, 08:45 PM
  #1162  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (32)
 
mxgregg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 610
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Fred. Loving my tcxx at norcal.
mxgregg is offline  
Old 06-12-2013, 09:19 PM
  #1163  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
Fred Hubbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Inglewood, CA
Posts: 2,721
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mxgregg View Post
Thanks Fred. Loving my tcxx at norcal.
Fred Hubbard is offline  
Old 06-12-2013, 10:46 PM
  #1164  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (13)
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,169
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Double post.. My bad.
Korey Harbke is offline  
Old 06-12-2013, 10:49 PM
  #1165  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (13)
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,169
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mxgregg View Post
I just got tamiya blank 6 whole pistons . What size should I drill the holes and what weight oil for norcal running modified? I'm running blue springs all around.
I can't confirm what you would use exactly with the tamiya pistons because of their different shape and dia, BUT... most of us are running drilling out the 1.1mm 6 hole pistons from HB to 1.2mm holes.

I'm currently running Pro Spec 1500cst, but I have heard a popular set to have on hand is Losi 80, 90 and 100wt oils. Losi oils are SUPER thick in general, so they are estimated to be in the 1000-1500cst range. I have some data on the oils that I measured a while ago on a Rheometer from work... I'll have to look for it.
Korey Harbke is offline  
Old 06-13-2013, 05:31 AM
  #1166  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (32)
 
mxgregg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 610
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Korey. Do you have a part number for the HB 6 hole pistons?
mxgregg is offline  
Old 06-13-2013, 06:09 AM
  #1167  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
Fred Hubbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Inglewood, CA
Posts: 2,721
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mxgregg View Post
Thanks Korey. Do you have a part number for the HB 6 hole pistons?
HB 1.1mm 6 Hole Pistons
Fred Hubbard is offline  
Old 06-13-2013, 06:13 AM
  #1168  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (32)
 
mxgregg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 610
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Fred. I'm going to try to install the Tamiya pistons on Saturday and if they don't work I will order the HB pistons.
mxgregg is offline  
Old 06-13-2013, 06:33 AM
  #1169  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 90
Default

Sorry but you're wrong. If use 18 or 19 pulley you have to change belts (front and rear) because with 2 eccentric and 5 too you are not able to set properly the belt tension. You need 170 and 63 t (front and rear belts).

Just tried a few days ago and with standard belts you can't use 18 or 19 t pulleys

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard View Post
I've never used any other than the 20T pulley. Changing the pulley size will alter the internal drive ratio which will affect your FDR. Brushless motors tend to perform better the closer the internal drive ratio is to 2.0. You should be able to rotate the bearing eccentric to loosen or tighten the belt. You could also use the #2 eccentric as well to adjust the belt tension if the #5 doesn't get the job done.
moraccio is offline  
Old 06-13-2013, 06:46 AM
  #1170  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
Fred Hubbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Inglewood, CA
Posts: 2,721
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by moraccio View Post
Sorry but you're wrong. If use 18 or 19 pulley you have to change belts (front and rear) because with 2 eccentric and 5 too you are not able to set properly the belt tension. You need 170 and 63 t (front and rear belts).

Just tried a few days ago and with standard belts you can't use 18 or 19 t pulleys
Reread what I wrote, no where did I state that it was a fact it would work.
Fred Hubbard is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.