Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Associated RC 12 R5.2 >

Associated RC 12 R5.2

Like Tree24Likes

Associated RC 12 R5.2

Old 03-06-2013, 04:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thank you very much for that information Tony,I was just looking at the AE springs on Amain,and was going to get on here and post a link asking if the AE onroad spring kit was fine to use.

I will just use the Serpent centre springs then for the time being.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jacko4309
Is anyone finding that the spur gear has tendency to wobble side to side? I've just built my new 12R5.2 and the spur gear moves from side to side? and its got me stumped on how to fix it?

Cheers Jackson
It is supposed to be that way
The Gear rides on diff balls, so it has to be free to move around

Is this your first pan car build ?
Follow the link in my sig to learn more
Old 03-06-2013, 06:42 AM
Tech Champion

double post
Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

My car arrived yesterday evening, been doing some sanding on the edges of the carbon parts.
Now i still need to glue the edges with 2 or 3 layers and polishing
It's the first time i will be doing this to all the carbon parts, guess it will take some time to finish all the parts but it's worthed.
Been doing this to the carbon lower rear plate of my F104Ver.II and i was very pleased about the result and so i decided to do this chassis as well
When the car is done i will take some pictures of it
Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

Congratulations Joe Trandell for winning 12th Scale at the 2013 CANADIAN Nationals at the Seaway Mall in Welland Ontario Canada. Also thanks for racing with us at Lou's Speedway near London.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

1:12 Action

Joe Trandell winning 12th Scale.

2013 OnRoad Canadian Nationals 1:12 A Main
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G8drQm5hTc
Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

At this moment i'm building the 5.2 and the ride height spacers for the front are not all the same height.
One of the 4 1mm spacers isn't 1mm but 0,7mm (it's just in between of the 0,5mm and the 1mm spacers)
It's my first associated kit and this isn't something i would have expected from this brand.
I've already contacted the shop where i bought the kit, but i guess i have to contact associated.
Also the king pins are not moving as smooth as any of my other tamiya F104 or RM-01 cars, and i already had some thin oil on the king pins.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by addicted2blue
At this moment i'm building the 5.2 and the ride height spacers for the front are not all the same height.
One of the 4 1mm spacers isn't 1mm but 0,7mm (it's just in between of the 0,5mm and the 1mm spacers)
It's my first associated kit and this isn't something i would have expected from this brand.
I've already contacted the shop where i bought the kit, but i guess i have to contact associated.
Also the king pins are not moving as smooth as any of my other tamiya F104 or RM-01 cars, and i already had some thin oil on the king pins.
If the pins are aren't smooth, it is likely caused by tight pivot balls in the upper and lower arms
You need to be careful when installing the Delrin pivot balls, once installed correctly, they will last a long time
Popping them in and out a few times will loosen them up, if you have a tight one

You can polish the pins for even smoother movement, but this should not be necessary to keep from binding

Odd shim issue
Would recommend picking up a few extra sets for spares, and also to see if by chance you have a few bad shims ?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Odd shim issue
Would recommend picking up a few extra sets for spares, and also to see if by chance you have a few bad shims ?
All the other shims are perfect, just one isn't correct.
Thx for the info about the king pin and those pivot balls.
Also the steering hub on the right side isn't moving as free as the one on the left side of the car.
But i guess it will become good as i will be driving the car.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

All the other shims are perfect, just one isn't correct.
Thx for the info about the king pin and those pivot balls.
Also the steering hub on the right side isn't moving as free as the one on the left side of the car.
But i guess it will become good as i will be driving the car.
Just something to point out

I didn't buy a 5.2 kit, just a few of the new parts

One of the Lower Arm parts bags purchased, had (2) right side arms

There is a Left and Right arm, as the hole for the pivot ball installs correctly from one side only
The pivot balls are not symmetrical as well
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default .

I had the same problem. We ended up polishing the kindpins and I also polished the pivot balls, sometimes popping them in and out a few times solve's this. Some reaming was also in order for the steering blocks and the upper arm pins to move freely. As per the aluminum shims, I had the same issue. I ended up sanding one to make it equal. But in the end, I just ended up with two extra sets of shims to make sure the ones I use are EXACTLY the same. My car and parts are also for sale on rctech...........For my blinky racing, I went with the new crc xti. It will be interesting to compare the two.

Also, the kingpins will fit right into a dremel.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Discovered another part failure, the kit has 2 sets of rear ride height inserts but NO spur is included.
2 failures in just 1 kit, not a good start of building my first associated kit and it sure doesn't want me to buy another one from this brand.
Very disapointed , this should not be happening as i'm building for more then 25 years of tamiya kits and never had 1 kit that had a missing part.
I guess this kit was put togheter on a monday morning by an imploye that still was recovering from a though wknd
Hope the shop will provide me some help with getting me the right&missing parts.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Discovered another part failure, the kit has 2 sets of rear ride height inserts but NO spur is included.
2 failures in just 1 kit, not a good start of building my first associated kit and it sure doesn't want me to buy another one from this brand.
Very disapointed , this should not be happening as i'm building for more then 25 years of tamiya kits and never had 1 kit that had a missing part.
I guess this kit was put togheter on a monday morning by an imploye that still was recovering from a though wknd
Hope the shop will provide me some help with getting me the right&missing parts.
You will need a full set of ride height adjusters, they are not included with many 12th race kits
IRS, or CRC are both great

AE use to include a 96t spur, but that size is only good for mod motors

What motor do you plan on bolting into your kit ?
Old 03-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've completed the build with a tamiya 90T spur, never thought the bearings would be a perfect fit into those tamiya spurs.
Diff is pretty smooth and it still needs to break in for a super smooth diff action.
I'm planning on running a 10.5T boosted (that's what we are using at the club and at races here in belgium) allthough i'm thinking about trying out a modified motor (like a 7.5T)
Still need to install the ESC (will be a hobbywing 1S ESC) but so far the car is looking great
Old 03-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Last edited by Josh Keller; 03-22-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.