R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Motor options (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/65432-motor-options.html)

robborc 03-06-2005 07:45 PM

Motor options

Have a Tamiya that i use for mucking around with a few mates on a basic track, what is the best motor for all of us to run? Dont want to have to be doing things to comms and adjusting them every run, just want something to go out and have fun with and be reasonably quick, also looking at drifting a bit.

Any info would be great,

Cheers in advance.

robborc 03-06-2005 09:36 PM

No replies here, is there anywhere else i can post it to get a bit of help

Cheers

Valentin.H 03-06-2005 09:48 PM

if your looking for pretty good prices, with some power packed in it..look at some stock motors like the Trinity Monster Stock Motor, or if you want MORE power, look at mod motors, like the D6 for mega power!

robborc 03-06-2005 09:49 PM

but what work do i have to do to maintain it?

Valentin.H 03-06-2005 09:55 PM

im not the "motors with brushes person" because i use brushless......which saves money on things like brushes, lathes, comms, or watever is out there, lol A BRUSHLESS would be nice if you dont like changing brushes and such! u can get a HACKER BL or a Novak SS5800 like the one i have.

fathead 03-06-2005 10:05 PM

You could try a Tamiya Superstock motor, they are 23turn motor and offer pretty good power and will last a very long time between rebuilds

PaulC2K 03-06-2005 10:20 PM

Im suprised nobody has suggested a mild V2 based motor.
They'd probably be faster than the 'reasonably' quick as mentioned, but they do a 19T and limited edition stock based motors and the wear on these endbells are much better than the traditional style endbell.

Going brushless would be the ideal option, but thats quite an investment, its not quite a case of buying a new motor, its a motor and ESC which becomes 3-4x the price originally looked at.

Any V2 motor you feel is of a good wind would be my recommendation, probably the 19T would be the best bet as its quick without being ballistic and its got a nice lifespan on the comm, as it doesnt require a skim as often as any other would.
It would still require skimming every 10-20 packs of cells run through it though, by the 25-30th run the motor will be in a bad state and soon after it'll be worthy of a bin, for about $5 you'd be able to get someone to skim it and put some new brushes in it and get another 20 runs from it.
Its just general maintainance (something which the brushless motors dont need) which is needed occasionally but the little money paid to do that will allow your motor to last much much longer, 2-3 times longer.

robborc 03-06-2005 10:25 PM

cheers
know of anywhere in aus i can get a V2 or somewhere with cheap shipping to aus

Cheers once again

PaulC2K 03-06-2005 10:41 PM

The V2's are made by Orion/Peak, there the funny cone shaped endbells, your local modelshop or a website should be able to supply you with one.

Tamiya are also using this technology along with Fantom, and a few smaller motor building companies like Br00d who take more care in making sure each motor is spot on, where-as others tend to just do it conveyor belt style, not the same level of detail paid.

Br00d do a 19t, but im not sure if they have a Aussie distributer (they've got a thread in this area, have a look in there or post asking this question)
Otherwise, Peak/Orion will be the easiest of the V2 technology motors to get hold of as any shop should be able to get these, the 19T probably being the safest bet for speed without being crazy fast.

Jack2 03-08-2005 02:34 AM

Originally posted by robborc
cheers

Cheers once again

Hi i'm from the land down under also, i like em low-7x1,8x1, but i would recomend 13x2 or 14x2 peak vantage modified by peak. www.stormerhobbies.com have them fro 59 US and it about 14 US to ship them. they are around 150 AU here locally.
i wouldn't get the touring or speacial edition ones as they need abit more looking after. one guy i race with has had his 18 months and has the original brushes and hasn't cut the comm and it is still a bullet.

GO Peak :D

Pro4 03-08-2005 02:42 AM

Originally posted by robborc
cheers

Cheers once again

www.harrisrc.com