R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 114
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default I just found a Schumacher Mission in my basement!

I was helping my mother clean out her basement and made a surprising discovery! I found a nearly unused Schumacher Mission roller in a box! It took a while but I remember a friend of a friend getting out of the hobby and handing me the car and some extra parts. At that time I was getting out as well and sold everything I had but must of forgotten about the little car.

Since that time I have gotten back into the hobby except the scale crawling side of things. In fact, I never really got hooked on the on road thing. Since I have found it I think I want to build it up!

I have a few questions:

Can this chassis handle a brushless system? I have a Traxxas Velineon lying around.

What size bodies would this chassis take? I know there are 190 and 200mm bodies. Anyone know of a Subaru body that would fit?

What size wheels do I run?

Speaking of Subarus...I'm a truck guy...am I a little crazy for wanting to turn this chassis into a rally car? I know I can't get much height out of the chassis but hey....why not?!


MAN...I must sound like such a noob! Thanks for your help in advance!
Jongrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Iceland
Posts: 25
Default

I'm pretty sure it will handle brushless system. Electric touring cars use 190mm bodies (200mm is nitro). Ride makes a Subaru body (I can't post links but just search google for ride+subaru+wrx+rc+body).

I think all touring car wheels are 24-26mm (I'm not sure on this one but).

You can turn touring cars into rally cars. You can get higher clearance by removing the downstops and installing longer shocks. I haven't done this myself though but I've seen some threads here and pictures around the internet. Just search this forum for "rally" or similar keywords and you should find something.
halldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 114
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halldor View Post
I'm pretty sure it will handle brushless system. Electric touring cars use 190mm bodies (200mm is nitro). Ride makes a Subaru body (I can't post links but just search google for ride+subaru+wrx+rc+body).

I think all touring car wheels are 24-26mm (I'm not sure on this one but).

You can turn touring cars into rally cars. You can get higher clearance by removing the downstops and installing longer shocks. I haven't done this myself though but I've seen some threads here and pictures around the internet. Just search this forum for "rally" or similar keywords and you should find something.


Thanks for the help! I'll start looking into everything.
Jongrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 114
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I just thought of something. Tamiya makes tons of Subaru bodies for their chassis! I wonder if they will fit?
Jongrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: オランダ
Posts: 312
Default

If its 190MM, they will.
__________________
株式会社 ヨコモ
dennisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 114
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisV View Post
If its 190MM, they will.
Looks like most of the Tamiya bodies are 185-188mm. What do we think?
Jongrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Iceland
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongrill View Post
Looks like most of the Tamiya bodies are 185-188mm. What do we think?
"190mm" doesn't mean that they're exactly 190mm. I think the rule is that 190mm is maximum track width without body and maximum track width with body is 195 or 200mm.

The general rule is that all electric touring car bodies fit all electric touring cars (scale looking 10th scale on road cars). Just go for it.
halldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Stockport, UK
Posts: 982
Default

Schumacher have just re-released the Mission. It is now named the Mi1 and has a new chassis plate designed to fit lipos, but juat about everything else is the same as the Mission.
http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Car_Showroom/mi1.html
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 114
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halldor View Post
"190mm" doesn't mean that they're exactly 190mm. I think the rule is that 190mm is maximum track width without body and maximum track width with body is 195 or 200mm.

The general rule is that all electric touring car bodies fit all electric touring cars (scale looking 10th scale on road cars). Just go for it.
I like your thinking! I'll just go for it! I know nothing about touring cars so I'll use what I know about trucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Schumacher have just re-released the Mission. It is now named the Mi1 and has a new chassis plate designed to fit lipos, but juat about everything else is the same as the Mission.
http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Car_Showroom/mi1.html
Nice! Think it's option parts will fit my mission?
Jongrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:01 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Stockport, UK
Posts: 982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongrill View Post
Nice! Think it's option parts will fit my mission?
Yes, the Mi1 is just a rebadged Mission.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 114
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I'm glad no one things I'm crazy for turning this track car into a rally machine...I just think with the way technology has advanced no one would want to buy this and race it!
Jongrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:47 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net