R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-06-2005, 01:24 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default What motor springs / 27T stock racing.

Hi guys

I am wanting to know what motor springs you would reccomend for 27T stock motors ?

Paticulars if it helps :

I run the pro 4 , trinity monster stock with ball bearings fitted, gt7 speedy and so on...

Its an outdoor asphult track and it quite fast and flowing.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers
Michael
sweet'n'sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:25 AM   #2
Suspended

Send a message via MSN to racingkd Send a message via Yahoo to racingkd

double purple's!
racingkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:32 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just don't tell your fellow stock racers that you have ball bearings installed... they would tend to get mad.... or call it a cheater motor. Normally, bearings are for 19T and mod motors. Roar requires bushings..... but you probably already knew that.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
Tech Adept

I'd say Purple+/Red- or Red+/Green-. On a big, flowing track Red+/Green- should work good. My Fantom Silver pulled 44000 rpm with this combination......
Erlend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:00 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

Erlend-Please understand that your statement of 44,000 RPMS means nothing if you dont go into detail.
What volt was it ran at?
Was that with load or not?
So on.

When it comes to Springs Sweet N Sour it also depends on what brush your using.Some brushes like a lil more spring than others.

On that big of a track I see Purple/Purple to be a lil heavy unless there is a tight infield.On a track thats fast and flowing Im looking more towards Purple+/Red- to be the heaviest I would ever try on a fast/flowing track.
I would try Red/Red or even a Red+/Green on the - tweaked just a tad for more tension.
Again it will depend on what brushes you use.
Putnams,Reedy 767's,Trinity Brushes,Hurricane Gold are all nice brushes but use different spring combo's at time's to make them work.

Note- Make sure your Brush Hoods are aligned.This is a MAJOR factor when it comes to tuning.Make sure the bushings or bearings in your case are oiled and the Brush Hoods and Brushes are kept clean and never get discolored.If they do change them.On the brush hoods alot of current flow through these.
Brush Hood Tip-Always carry some Qtips with you to keep the brush hoods clean.This is where alot of the power is transfered and if dirty you loose power.This is probally the SINGLE BIGGEST MISTAKE when it comes to maintance.They dont clean them but clean everything else.

Goodluck and last but not least EVERY Motor is different no matter if they are tuned the same or not.So mess with gearing to find the "SWEET SPOT" of every motor.

I hope you have a great time with the hobby.
Les
Old 03-06-2005, 08:14 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Default try this

Since you are using bearings on your stock motor you thought about running a 23 turn arm also.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:15 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

Hey guys

Thanks for all of the input ESPECIALLY LES

I honestly did not know that bearing were not allowed in stock 27t motors... We are not exactly racing for state titles here so maybe that is why they allow it but i will certainly bring it up with the techs at our club.

I usuall use the Trinity 4499 brushes in my motor.

I use the Kose brush serator after every 2 runs and use the Kose brush hood allignment tool after every meet.

YES it is the standard monster stock arm in there...

As stated we are not racing state tiltes or anything like that but we are all so close in our class that every little of performance helps...

Thanks again for the input guys, appreciate it

Last edited by sweet'n'sour; 03-07-2005 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:47 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

i tend to agree with tex the best setup for our track is purple red with trinity 4499's or fantoms although the reedys seem popular although i havnt tried them. and yes over in this particular state of australia we are slightly different and allow stock motors to be ballraced however the rest of the country follows roar rules (as interpreted by us)

does anyone here have any tips on correct brush hood allignment and how to do it without wasting brushes to check fo face wear? would i be able to check this properly if i used a serrater to 'reface' the brush then ran it to check the wear pattern?

also has anyone tried removing the smc board and soldering caps on their trinity/epics to reduce resistance? or is this stupid?
cheers
Ad.
karndriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:00 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Arrow

here in Aus bearings are the norm. In my state Quad magnet is also normal. there is some very quick stock cars getting around here

"He who dies with the most toys wins" - Phil Harris
Jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:08 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack2
here in Aus bearings are the norm. In my state Quad magnet is also normal. there is some very quick stock cars getting around here
Where are you from jack because i am going to live / race there !

The quad mags are not allowed but bearings are no dramas.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:23 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tasmania

Tassy mate. I was the first to get a quad magnet - BRCA monster pro stock, aimed at the BRCA racing in england. I sold it to my local motor guru and he played around with it and it runs that fast and always runs cooler than others at the same roll out.

"He who dies with the most toys wins" - Phil Harris
Jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:59 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

thats interesting i didnt know they allowed them there. interesting that the quadmag stocker is tuned differently to the same thing in 2mag isnt it? has nayone tried a 2mag epic? in comparison to the monster. and does anyone here have a team brood stock motor?
karndriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:03 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by karndriver
thats interesting i didnt know they allowed them there. interesting that the quadmag stocker is tuned differently to the same thing in 2mag isnt it? has nayone tried a 2mag epic? in comparison to the monster. and does anyone here have a team brood stock motor?

I've got a brOOd monster coming I'll let you know, but it should be the shizzle.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
Tech Adept

This was on a Peak MPM 7,2 V, and not fully broken in. When broken in it goes like 39-40000. Fantom 315 brushes and the mentioned Red/Green combo.
Erlend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:28 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by sweet'n'sour
Hey guys

Thanks for all of the input ESPECIALLY LES

I honestly did not know that bearing were not allowed in stock 27t motors... We are not exactly racing for state titles here so maybe that is why they allow it but i will certainly bring it up with the techs at our club.

I usuall use the Trinity 4499 brushes in my motor.

I use the Kose brush serator after every 2 runs and use the Kose brush hood allignment tool after every meet.

YES it is the standard monster stock arm in there...

As stated we are not racing state tiltes or anything like that but we are all so close in our class that every little of performance helps...

Thanks again for the input guys, appreciate it
I'm pretty much a noob to so I don't know much about motors but I do know ballbearings make things run smoother. Where did you get those bearings and were they expensive? I'd like to ad some to my monster. Thanks...
Aries326 is offline   Reply With Quote