Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone tried Dyamite U-groove tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 06:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Anyone tried Dyamite U-groove tires?

The price is quite low compared to HPI's 26mm premounted tires/wheels. The Dynamites are 24mm, which is fine for me. I was actually looking at them to replace the drift tires that come on a Traxxas Rally. I just need something that will give some level of grip on concrete.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by metoo
The price is quite low compared to HPI's 26mm premounted tires/wheels. The Dynamites are 24mm, which is fine for me. I was actually looking at them to replace the drift tires that come on a Traxxas Rally. I just need something that will give some level of grip on concrete.
They had great grip on carpet but fast wear. One set lasted one race day. Another set lasted two days. They have two tread styles. The v groove style lasted longer. I have better wear and the same traction from hpi x pattern d compound tires. Again this is on carpet but your results will probably be similar on concrete.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at these as an option for my little cousin whose funds are limited. I'm going to surprise him with a new Rally, but he's on his own for additions.

I used X-pattern belted pro compound. I've gone thru about 8 2s packs on concrete. I may be able to get another 4 packs before they start to loose race worthy grip.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
They had great grip on carpet but fast wear. One set lasted one race day. Another set lasted two days. They have two tread styles. The v groove style lasted longer. I have better wear and the same traction from hpi x pattern d compound tires. Again this is on carpet but your results will probably be similar on concrete.
+1...but on asphalt/concrete...they wear alot faster...ALOT
Old 08-12-2012, 05:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
+1...but on asphalt/concrete...they wear alot faster...ALOT
I bought a set (not the v-groove). I was told they wouldn't grip well til scrubbed in. We were scrubb'n but I never feel a large improvement in grip. They are way better than the slot drifters for grip, but way far from HPI pro comp X-patterns. I don't have experience with HPI D-comp yet to compare. What I do know is I left the U-groove with my little cousin and he wore them ball and very thin within a week on the street. This is probably 12-16 charges at a guess. I'm not sure if that's considered good wear or bad, but my pro-comp X-patterns have seen about 10 charges and still look like x-patterns. they still have plenty of runs let in them. The D's are supposed to last even longer.

Seems this may truly be a case of, "you get what you pay for." I'm often willing to test that old statement, because I have found some gems without wasting too much money in the process.