R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Default coming from off road to the asphault

i have bn racing for almost a yr now but i have done nothing but off road an dit has bn a blast. i happen to pass by a track going to the movies and me and the girl stopped in for a few mins and it caught me by surprise because i have never seen an on road race befor and it looked kool. bad thing is that the track is kinda far from our house lol, if i want to give the on road a try what kinda of transition would i b lookin at going from the clay to the asphault, and money wise what kinda diff is there in upkeep and tuning and driving style would have to change or b diff that what im use to? what would b a good starting class to b in such as f1 or touring sedan or 12 scale or what and i seen how fast those cars go so i know stock will b what i will driving if i give it a try
gamedog1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedog1966 View Post
i have bn racing for almost a yr now but i have done nothing but off road an dit has bn a blast. i happen to pass by a track going to the movies and me and the girl stopped in for a few mins and it caught me by surprise because i have never seen an on road race befor and it looked kool. bad thing is that the track is kinda far from our house lol, if i want to give the on road a try what kinda of transition would i b lookin at going from the clay to the asphault, and money wise what kinda diff is there in upkeep and tuning and driving style would have to change or b diff that what im use to? what would b a good starting class to b in such as f1 or touring sedan or 12 scale or what and i seen how fast those cars go so i know stock will b what i will driving if i give it a try
Welcome to the on road scene.

I haven't done a lot of off road racing but I can tell you that one of the biggest differences for me was the increased traction of an on road car. They are much more responsive. For me I saw the cost of spare parts and the maintenance involved decrease. No big jumps to land wrong and snap off an arm and no dirt to get stuck in every single space but just like off road you need to keep things clean and smooth to be fast.

As for a good class you can't go wrong with a 4wd touring platform. Very responsive and easier to get the hang of over a f1 or 1/12. If you drove a lot of 2wd off road then a f1 may come to you pretty easily. The 1/12 scale cars are a blast but they are fast, light, and lightning responsive. Also the 1/12 are better suited for indoor carpet unless you have a very smooth and clean asphalt track. You will also use a lot more 1/12 tires and because of the speed you will probably break more parts.

Now to the most important part. Which class did YOU like the look of the best? Since you have a year of rc experience you could probably do any of the classes you listed. Just be prepared for some type of learning curve. Some guys can make the change and go straight to the podium but this is probably the exception and not the rule. Have fun learning the car and the different driving techniques involved. Don't be afraid to ask questions of the other racers. On road guys are pretty friendly and helpful.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The best class to start out in IMO, if you are new to onroad but not new to racing RC in general, is certainly the 17.5 TC class. Great racing, and great speed without being TOO fast.

Come on out and check out the new Bremerton onroad program that is just starting up at BRCR.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I used to race carpet many years ago, started doing short course a couple years ago, about to start doing asphalt, I'm hoping my previous tc experience comes back to me lol.

I always ran 1/10 stock 27t back in the day, 17.5 tc is where I plan to start and then go from there.

Most important thing to do, find out what classes run at your local track on a regular basis. If you want to run 1/12 and only 2-3 guys show up sometimes, u will never be racing.
Ninetyeight740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Old 08-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Tech Addict

i have driven 2wd buggy and sc and have only fooled with the 4wd and feel very comortable with the 2wd cars, and i saw tc and f1 cars and they both seem fun to me but like my friend said, they looked very responsive and lighting fast a lot faster than im use to. and they were stock that is what got me like wow. off road if something is going that fast it is mod for sure lol. i will come by and check brcr on road out Cpt America, hope to meet ya when i come by. i have bn there like 3 times that i can remember and ran a few laps with steve smith a while back and we ran our mouth a good bit that day, matter of fact that is the day that i met him.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
Tech Addict

one more question that i forgot to ask, is on road all yr round?
Old 08-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
one more question that i forgot to ask, is on road all yr round?
I think the hangar might run longer? Im not sure, but they are indoor, and run on carpet. The other 4 programs in the area are all outdoor asphalt and only run select months from late spring to early fall. (you would have to check the schedule for each track separately.)
- RCSpecialties -
Old 08-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
I think the hangar might run longer? Im not sure, but they are indoor, and run on carpet. The other 4 programs in the area are all outdoor asphalt and only run select months from late spring to early fall. (you would have to check the schedule for each track separately.)
do you run both on and off road?
Old 08-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
do you run both on and off road?
Yep!
- RCSpecialties -
Old 08-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to wizzles29

I can't speak for what's popular in WA, but as someone who runs both on/offroad regularly in the Chicago area, I'd say that the initial investment to onroad is much higher than offroad, but the maintenance and cost of running seems a bit lower (at least running VTA and USGT it is).

With offroad, I've got at least a dozen sets of tires for all 3 of my cars that can work on any given day, and if you don't have the right one, you don't have much hope. Onroad 17.5 can be similar, but the tires are cheaper, easier to carry, or you can go VTA or USGT and only really need a few sets of tires.

Aside from supporting multiple chassis/platforms for racing and trying to remember what adjustments you've made to each, the hardest part of running both on and offroad at the same time is bouncing between the two in a weekend, but after a few practice laps you get used to the feel of w/e car you're currently driving.

But it is nice to be able to have something to race at just about any big race that comes to the area by having a platform for either surface.

King Hobbies/Raceway
The Track @ Harbor Hobbies
wizzles29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Thankd guys for the insight, I think imma atend somemore onroad b4 I make a decision, dnt wnt to burn the candle at both ends lol
Old 08-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #13
piper48

Quote:
Thankd guys for the insight, I think imma atend somemore onroad b4 I make a decision, dnt wnt to burn the candle at both ends lol
Come check out FantasyWorld Hobbies Summer Sizzler this weekend Fri-Sun. The track is locted at the Home Depot on 72nd right by I-5 in Tacoma.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper48 View Post
Come check out FantasyWorld Hobbies Summer Sizzler this weekend Fri-Sun. The track is locted at the Home Depot on 72nd right by I-5 in Tacoma.

What time do u guys race on those days? Itz crazy because those are my race days as well