Help with 17.5 T and esc choice ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with 17.5 T and esc choice ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:17 AM
Tech Adept

Default Help with 17.5 T and esc choice ...

Hi

I'm pretty new to onroad electric (racing on-road gas). I'm planning to start with 17.5 super stock.

I need to buy a esc and a motor - at moment I'm thinking of an LRP 17.5 and Tekin RS pro.

Any other better combo's out there?

Please help ....
Old 07-30-2012, 06:43 AM
Tech Adept

Take a look also to Viper products.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

HobbyWing
Speed Passion
Viper
Tekin
Orion
LRP

This is a personal opinion of what you want to use.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For the money it's pretty hard to beat hobby wing or speed passion (basically a rebranded hobbywing) I'd go with one of those, most other brands are going to give you less and for more money.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by djamiller
For the money it's pretty hard to beat hobby wing or speed passion (basically a rebranded hobbywing) I'd go with one of those, most other brands are going to give you less and for more money.
I'm sorry but i don't agree with you, i'm owning 2 hobby wing V2, 1 viper vtx10r, and 2 team wave rbs, viper and team wave compared to HW are more simple to program comparing HW V2, and they are smoother than the HW.
I agree with you that HW is cheaper than the others, but according my experience viper and team wave gives me allways a little bit of punch more then HW.

CIao
Max
Old 07-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by djamiller
Huh??? The Hobbywing V3 is over 200.

The speed passion yes on price.

Ease of on-track programming anything with a box.

If you have a Tekin and are running boost you have to carry a computer to make adjustments.
And you will probably have to adjust with every gear change and temp outside.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

17.5t motor d3.5 orca rx2 thunder power
esc got to be orca vx
Old 07-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Basically everyone will give you there personal preference of combo to use

Nobody is wrong in there answer

The best advice anyone can give is support your local club and what is popular there people are often happy to.share setups which makes for a much.quicker setup time

Just my 2 cents worth
Old 07-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

For 17.5 blinky the hobbywing juststock is the best choice for an esc. It is 50 bucks through falconsekido.com and is waaaaay smoother than a tekin rs. It depends on driving style but the juststock actually has a very accurate mid throttle band while the tekin is more like an on/off switch.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by samsking
For 17.5 blinky the hobbywing juststock is the best choice for an esc. It is 50 bucks through falconsekido.com and is waaaaay smoother than a tekin rs. It depends on driving style but the juststock actually has a very accurate mid throttle band while the tekin is more like an on/off switch.
I find this to be very true. I have a Tekin RS in my off road car and really don't care for it. Even with the new software, the throttle curve seems to be rather steep.

I've come to really like the Speed passion Cirtix, decent brakes, no timing and runs really smooth, almost as good as my LRP (almost) I've used it in my 4wd buggy running a 9.5t without issues and now I run them in my touring car class 17.5t and Tamiya mini class with a 21.5t. Speed Passion's 17.5t sportsman is a decent motor and can be had as a package with the esc for under $100
Old 07-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

An SXX is great to drive...... and the Speed Passion Cirtix is incredibly smooth but I always found it lacked a bit of power.

The ESC that surprised me a lot was the Mamba Max Pro. Despite a large footprint (not an issue in some TC's) it has monstrous bottom-end. I ran the MMP with a hi-torque rotor'd RevTech for awhile...... good lord it pulled out of turns, and had the brakes to put it on the nose. I love aggressive driving so it felt great to me.

For blinky, I'd go SXX with a RevTech or Reedy Sonic. For boosted, I'd go Tekin RS with a Duo3.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by cwoods34
An SXX is great to drive...... and the Speed Passion Cirtix is incredibly smooth but I always found it lacked a bit of power.

The ESC that surprised me a lot was the Mamba Max Pro. Despite a large footprint (not an issue in some TC's) it has monstrous bottom-end. I ran the MMP with a hi-torque rotor'd RevTech for awhile...... good lord it pulled out of turns, and had the brakes to put it on the nose. I love aggressive driving so it felt great to me.

For blinky, I'd go SXX with a RevTech or Reedy Sonic. For boosted, I'd go Tekin RS with a Duo3.
+1 on da mamba max pro..it has a lot of power i run that & 17.5 sonic reedy & a duo 3 the top end aint no joke...o! i run 1 in my usgt car with a ballistic
Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 PM
gom
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In stock 17.5 class, I have been using a speedpassion MMM 17.5R. it runs very cool. gearing at 3.5FDR my motor temp is only around 140F. That's with 20 degrees motor timing. I would recommand this one if you like cool and smooth running motor.

for ESC, I am using a tekin RS. But my feeling is that you really don't need that to run blinky 17.5 class. like Samsking mention, the hobbywing justock should be sufficient. It's way cheaper too. I believe there are also other ESC in the Justock's price range that'll do the job as well.

I guess what I am saying is that you'll be paying too much for a tekin RS level ESC just to run blinky class. At least that's how I felt after buying the tekin RS and then realised that I don't need half the feature on the ESC for stock racing. Not that there is anything wrong with it. In fact, I quite like its small footprint and the punch it gives. just my 2 cents.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Novak speed controls run very smooth. I went from a Tekin RS Pro to the Orion R10 Pro to the Novak GTB2 with xdrive and to me the GTB2 was the smoothest and had the best brakes of the 3. No laptop or program box, just a series of flashing lights on the esc. It is close to $110, a little over, but its well worth the money.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:16 AM
Tech Rookie

If you order from UK, the reventon S from SP is already available. . . those should be great and look great plus comes in many color options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.