Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1:10 scale on-road qustion. Why are adjustments made using setup wheels? >

1:10 scale on-road qustion. Why are adjustments made using setup wheels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1:10 scale on-road qustion. Why are adjustments made using setup wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? 1:10 scale on-road qustion. Why are adjustments made using setup wheels?

1:10 scale on-road question; Why are adjustments made using setup wheels and why with the car not at ready to race weight?

On a 1:1 car, caster, camber, toe and ride height are set with all wheeled tires on the car at curb weight [as I understand it].

However, on an rc car it is recommended [?]/necessary[?]/suggested[?] to do the camber, toe adjustments and ride height adjustments with setup wheels and the body shell off... Why?

Or am I misunderstanding something?

If one doesn't factor in the variables; wheel warp, tire warp, tire/wheel diameter when mounted to the car [which also takes into account tire/liner crush from the weight of the car, battery & body shell] - Then how accurate can the camber and toe settins be with using setup wheels when it's pretty much a given that things will change once the tires/wheels replace the setup wheels [as I understand it]?

I'm not challenging anything, I'm just asking a question looking for a clear concise fact based answer.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

I agree with you. Set the car up with the race wheels.

You will have to set the car up with the body off because it isn't really possible to get the setup tools onto the car with the body on. But the weight of the body doesn't make a huge difference to the ride height on a touring car ( a few tenths of a mm).

However there are a lot of people that are very attached to their pit "bling" and swear by their expensive and misleading setup stations.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

In RC we hit more things and wheels bend up much more than in 1:1 car. So using the race wheel to do measurements with will lead to some weird setups.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
I agree with you. Set the car up with the race wheels.

You will have to set the car up with the body off because it isn't really possible to get the setup tools onto the car with the body on. But the weight of the body doesn't make a huge difference to the ride height on a touring car ( a few tenths of a mm).

However there are a lot of people that are very attached to their pit "bling" and swear by their expensive and misleading setup stations.
what is misleading about a setup station? Measuring angles on cheap plastic wheels looks more misleading to me.

Best setup is my opinion is setup station > setup wheels > racing wheels.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

when i build my car or do a full rebuild then i use my set up gauges , but at races or for small camber changes i use the set up wheels , they are easier and i find more accurate