R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Advanced Electronics Black Diamond....if you want the best of the best!
theatriks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #32
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatriks View Post
Advanced Electronics Black Diamond....if you want the best of the best!
OR, you can have three ESC's of some other brand.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #33
Tech Master

you get what you pay for lol
Old 08-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #34
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Sometimes you get more than you paid for: Novak gtb !!! Troy, I run my tc4 3.5t gtb at 8.409FDR, and after a six minute race I can put my hands on the velocity motor forever.... I might need to push it some more: maybe 15 of timing advance on the kinetic 2S @ 19000+ RPMs when the gtb blows(yeah right)....lol... Novak gtb2 xdrive= $115, Novak kinetic 2S =$150, blowing by everyone else= priceless.....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I have serious doubts that anyone running mod at Leisure Hours is coming off with temps below 190f. I normally came off at 190-195 and would often see others saying they were higher.

I'm also not sure I lost my LRP yet. I replaced it with something else and made a couple runs tonight and found that my receiver was bad. After changing that I'm wondering if my LRP is still good and I fell victim to a bad receiver only. I'll have to check that.

For reference, I was running 7.6fdr with the 4.5t, LRP SXX v2 TC with v4.0 firmware on full boost. At 8.0fdr it wasn't keeping up down the straight.

The AE Black Diamond scares me because it says it's rated to 7.5t only. Maybe they are ultra conservative but to be competitive in mod TC at the big tracks you need 4.5 or 3.5 motors. I'd hate to burn one of those to find out if it works well or not.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #36
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
I have serious doubts that anyone running mod at Leisure Hours is coming off with temps below 190f. I normally came off at 190-195 and would often see others saying they were higher.

I'm also not sure I lost my LRP yet. I replaced it with something else and made a couple runs tonight and found that my receiver was bad. After changing that I'm wondering if my LRP is still good and I fell victim to a bad receiver only. I'll have to check that.

For reference, I was running 7.6fdr with the 4.5t, LRP SXX v2 TC with v4.0 firmware on full boost. At 8.0fdr it wasn't keeping up down the straight.

The AE Black Diamond scares me because it says it's rated to 7.5t only. Maybe they are ultra conservative but to be competitive in mod TC at the big tracks you need 4.5 or 3.5 motors. I'd hate to burn one of those to find out if it works well or not.

Im not sure where your getting your specs but the black diamond is rated to handle up to 3 turn motor and can do so with ease.....the novak will probably melt into a puddle lol .....do what you like but the black diamond is a much better speed control then a novak ....for those who can afford one buy it and enjoy the best this industry can offer and those who cant afford one and just bash the good stuff use there mastercard and but the low end speedos.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #37
Suspended

Cool

All my Novak gtb's were purchased with 3.5t motors only, and none of them got remotely hot, eventhough my cars are on the heavy side. The kinetic is the only esc I have not tested yet. As for receivers, I always have a glitch buster capacitor connected to my receivers, and no issues so far.... By the way Troy, I had other racers put their hands on my motor after a six minute qualifier, and they were all surprised to feel how cold it was, even without a fan attached.... Also I had alot of bottom end grunt with enough top end to pull the boosted 6.5t tekins down the straight, eventhough I had no boost. You can't go wrong with such power out of a $115 esc versus those $200+ overheating boosted competitors that only last a race or two.... My Novak gtb's have around since 2005, and still going strong. No need to change them at all ...
Old 08-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #38
Suspended

Smile

By the way, I do not use lipo cutoff , and I time my runs... With very powerful setups, the cutoff gets in the way sometimes... Good luck....
Old 08-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #39
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
All my Novak gtb's were purchased with 3.5t motors only, and none of them got remotely hot, eventhough my cars are on the heavy side. The kinetic is the only esc I have not tested yet. As for receivers, I always have a glitch buster capacitor connected to my receivers, and no issues so far.... By the way Troy, I had other racers put their hands on my motor after a six minute qualifier, and they were all surprised to feel how cold it was, even without a fan attached.... Also I had alot of bottom end grunt with enough top end to pull the boosted 6.5t tekins down the straight, eventhough I had no boost. You can't go wrong with such power out of a $115 esc versus those $200+ overheating boosted competitors that only last a race or two.... My Novak gtb's have around since 2005, and still going strong. No need to change them at all ...
I'm no doubting your claims but I need to keep up with boosted 3.5's not boosted 6.5's. My 4.5 just barely was able to keep pace at it's limits with full boost from the LRP. Last night I tested with a hobbywing set to 15 of timing and a 3.5t geared at 9.0 and it wasn't going to be enough.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #40
Tech Master

Quote:
Im not sure where your getting your specs but the black diamond is rated to handle up to 3 turn motor and can do so with ease.....the novak will probably melt into a puddle lol .....do what you like but the black diamond is a much better speed control then a novak ....for those who can afford one buy it and enjoy the best this industry can offer and those who cant afford one and just bash the good stuff use there mastercard and but the low end speedos.

Considering the severe lack of information available on this ESC I'm getting my info from the very few places I've found that show anything about it. That includes the thread here at rctech. There website is pretty useless and the one vendor I found with it in stock listed it at 7.5t as did the guys here at rctech. If you have better info somewhere please share.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #41
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
Considering the severe lack of information available on this ESC I'm getting my info from the very few places I've found that show anything about it. That includes the thread here at rctech. There website is pretty useless and the one vendor I found with it in stock listed it at 7.5t as did the guys here at rctech. If you have better info somewhere please share.
Per Bengtzohn [email protected]

Thats a direct email to the company ...great customer service will answer quickly and i never had to wait more then 5 days for anything from them and they will ship directly from there factory...no problem.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #42
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Orion r10 pro or tekin rs pro.
B00t13g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #43
Tech Master

Quote:
Per Bengtzohn [email protected]

Thats a direct email to the company ...great customer service will answer quickly and i never had to wait more then 5 days for anything from them and they will ship directly from there factory...no problem.
Thanks,
Old 08-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #44
Suspended

Smile

Sorry Troy, but only the kinetic 2S can run the 3.5t with 15 boost at 19000+RPMs on top of the 30 motor timing, without a laptop... You might need to add a second capacitor, and reduce drag in your car as much as possible... Also, I've never heard of anybody running a 3.5t with full boost in a six minute race... I have seen 4.5t motors with 20 extra boost , but the speedpassion esc was at 200 after four minutes though....Forget about tekins here...
Old 08-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Their is a reason why none of the pros run novak esc's in mod let alone stock. I would buy something that is proven ,not something one guy says is good.

Orion , hobbywing , speedpassion , lrp , orca , all brand that make the A-main at large events. Not one novak.

Look at http://rcprogear.com/ it list what wins.

The only thing novak is good for is vta