R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-20-2001, 10:30 PM   #31
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Only 2 runs? I ran mine all day. I let it cool, and by the time i was ready to practice...or the next heat was ready, i was ready... finally it let go... maybe it was a good one... it did last al day..lol about 5 packs or so

Matt - i did find out it was already broken in... then Nate did breakin afterwards on his t35 for me.... but it was broken in fromhurricane...
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 10:40 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper

Quote:
Originally posted by TSR6
Only 2 runs? I ran mine all day. I let it cool, and by the time i was ready to practice...or the next heat was ready, i was ready... finally it let go... maybe it was a good one... it did last al day..lol about 5 packs or so
Yeah, only two runs, my last qualifier and then the main. I can't get used to the power band on them. I still prefer the P2K or Paradox.
How did you gear your GM3? I gave my example because of the gearing I used...
minicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 02:19 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

I must have a good GM3. I have been hard on it and it has performed very well. I had it temp at 220 degrees and it shows no tell-tell signs of abuse. My FDR was 5.25 with a rollout of 38.27. I hope my motor doesn't fail, because it is sick fast.
Old 08-21-2001, 02:35 AM   #34
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My GM3 wasn't all that fast to begin with. Wasn't slow, but nothing special. It just outright fell apart when I tried to cut it... I've heard of them smoking during a run, but haven't heard of the comm spliting. Even if Fantom had allready cut the comm down, it shouldn't have been THAT thin.
JeffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 06:45 AM   #35
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

jeff...i doupt that it was too thin...i think that one of the comm plates was bad, call fantom, they will take care of you...

troy, that was not the prob.....those brushes had isues when i replaced them, and like was said before, sometimes you just get a bad one....
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 08:36 AM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

My GM3 is great not too torquey with great RPM, my xxx-s geared at 25 tooth pinon with stock spur. The track has a 100'+ straight and pretty tight infeild. GM3 pro with polarized brushes and springs
dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 11:47 AM   #37

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Cool

minicooper- I bought a full set of the X-cut brushes to try on my P2K's. I bought the ones that fit the comm size. They really weren't very good on the P2K. I have a brush serator tool, so when I got my GM3, I serated a pair, and chucked them on. Man, they flew! These things really work on the GM3. You still get the same torque, but power numbers improved from 125 max watts with 767s to 129 watts with X-cuts. The motor doesn't get as hot, and the comm doesn't wear as fast. The motor also went up a few watts in the 25-40 amp range, right where it counts.

TSR6, how big is that movie? Could you send it to me?
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 11:51 AM   #38
RCTech Member #2

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedo
TSR6, how big is that movie? Could you send it to me?
I don't have it yet... "TheBarber" has it on his camcorder Might be able to get it up i hope
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
Old 08-21-2001, 11:55 AM   #39

Talking

That would be cool troy!
Old 08-21-2001, 12:52 PM   #40
RCTech Member #2

Yeah... it was funny... not at the time... but when i think back about it. Came down the stretch, i swore i saw smoke... but i figured it was dust... go through the corner... in the next corner... pooof!!!! It was like a Cup car.... smoke pooring out at the fenders and the rear.... hehe...

bran new GM3 too Oh well..
RCTech Member #2

Old 08-21-2001, 12:55 PM   #41

Talking

Well mine wasn't that bad...I just geared too high. At 5 minutes I had dumped, just managed to crawl across the line, usually I have 2 minutes plus left!

There was one time though, I spilt some comm drops in the motor and didn't realize it! Put the car on the tract, and whenever I touched the throttle, whole rear windo would light up!
Old 08-30-2001, 08:39 PM   #42
Tech Apprentice

The gearing is critical. I geared mine for RPM running a 26/72 on a TC3. It was fast for about 3 minutes before the tell tale white smoke. One of the winds broke apart. (Caused by movement in the armature stack?) It was my first run and I was not only mad but disappointed. I really don't feel like trying again, but I'm a tick slower than the sponsored drivers at the track. .... so maybe I'll buy another arm.
RacerTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 08:55 PM   #43
R/C Tech Founder

RacerTex: Usually the arm problem you had there (with GM3s, at least) is caused by overheating or strain on the armature. While I wouldn't say that a 26/72 combo on a TC3 would be excessive, it could still be a bit high, especially if you were running on a tight, technical track (your ratio was a 72/26 * 2.5 = 6.92).

On a tighter track I would run a GM3 in the 7.2-7.6 range, on a more open one I could see going as low as a 6.8 or 6.9. I usually try and play it safe though. Not all GM3s will blow like that, but it is definitely a more problematic motor than some others and is more sensitive to heat/strain than, say, a P2K.

Right now I have a 7.32 (final drive ratio) in my XXX-S and it is plenty fast.
futureal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 08:59 PM   #44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

RacerTX: What track are you racing at in Austin? Do you race with Austinwolf? The last time I raced in Austin was when the charity race took place in the spring.
Old 08-30-2001, 09:27 PM   #45
Tech Apprentice

AustinWol hasn't been racing in a while ... I think it's football season for him and he "needs" to watch his Wolverines. I race at the Church. Have you raced in North Austin recently? The past two weekends, we had the San Antonio guys here. It was great fun and we had a lot of nitro running on the track.
RacerTex is offline   Reply With Quote