R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2005, 10:44 AM   #1
Tech Regular
 
bigragu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: BROOKLYN
Posts: 302
Default Touring Car Pricesr

Is it me or are the prices of touring cars becoming like crazy
yokomo belt drive $419
xray $390
corally $420
tamiya $475

what happened when high priced cars were like $280
bigragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:00 AM   #2
Tech Champion
 
SpeedTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 6,028
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: Touring Car Pricesr

Quote:
Originally posted by bigragu
Is it me or are the prices of touring cars becoming like crazy
yokomo belt drive $419
xray $390
corally $420
tamiya $475

what happened when high priced cars were like $280
bigragu,

I do agree that the price of touring car has gone up, but I don't think it is going crazy. I believe manufactures now a days are trying to provide the "All in one" race package. Basically the days of buying a $200 car and then spending another $200 to hop it up are close to its end. What the manufactures are discovering is that serious racers want to spend one time and get all the go fast goodies in one shot. That doesn't mean there won't be any more option parts to buy (we all know hop-up parts are endless, but they are an "option" ) But the manufactures now are packing in as much necessary hop-ups and option parts as possible, that when you closely inspec the features, you will be able to justify the increase in cost. I personally own one of these super cars (Yokomo SDW Worlds Edition) and after building the kit, and those that have one will agree with me...the car is worth every single penny

That being said, there are still many great cars like the HPI Pro4, Yokomo MR-4TCSD SSG, CGM, Associated TC4, that falls in the $200-280 range that will work great, probably right out of the box too. The $300-$400 cars are targeting towards a different group of racers, and it is not to say that these are better cars, but just for a different consumer group

Buy what you prefer, buy what you like as far as features while keeping your budget in mind and I'm sure there is a perfect fit car for everyone out there

Steve Wang
__________________
>>>www.SpeedtechHobbies.com<<<
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
John Fontaine's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SouthEast PA
Posts: 2,699
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine
Default

Good reply Steve -

Like he said, targeted for the serious racer that wants to buy, build and race. Not test and buy and test and buy. These kits are on the track and placing in the A main without any additional parts. (Setup and driver required)
__________________
Xray and Serpent....very dusty!
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
Tech Elite
 
dawgmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,504
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Touring Car Pricesr

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
bigragu,

I do agree that the price of touring car has gone up, but I don't think it is going crazy. I believe manufactures now a days are trying to provide the "All in one" race package. Basically the days of buying a $200 car and then spending another $200 to hop it up are close to its end. What the manufactures are discovering is that serious racers want to spend one time and get all the go fast goodies in one shot. That doesn't mean there won't be any more option parts to buy (we all know hop-up parts are endless, but they are an "option" ) But the manufactures now are packing in as much necessary hop-ups and option parts as possible, that when you closely inspec the features, you will be able to justify the increase in cost. I personally own one of these super cars (Yokomo SDW Worlds Edition) and after building the kit, and those that have one will agree with me...the car is worth every single penny

That being said, there are still many great cars like the HPI Pro4, Yokomo MR-4TCSD SSG, CGM, Associated TC4, that falls in the $200-280 range that will work great, probably right out of the box too. The $300-$400 cars are targeting towards a different group of racers, and it is not to say that these are better cars, but just for a different consumer group

Buy what you prefer, buy what you like as far as features while keeping your budget in mind and I'm sure there is a perfect fit car for everyone out there

Steve Wang
I guess the TC4 was intended for the serious racer in mind, go tamiya
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:30 AM   #5
Tech Master
 
Jeff Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,913
Default

Another reason is everything lately is machined and not molded. Machining costs really jack up the kit costs but the precision is way better.

Jeff
__________________
SXT Traction Compounds | www.TractionCompound.com
Jeff Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
Tech Regular
 
bigragu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: BROOKLYN
Posts: 302
Default

Do u feel since the euro is so strong against the us dollar is that y we are seeing an increase. I mean i dont mind spending the money. But if u figure in the spare parts that u know everyone buys everytime you switch cars you look at spending like 700 bucks. Its like this you buy the car on avarage 400 like 150 on parts. then there still those couple of hop ups you still buy even though u bought "the kit that comes with everything" i just feel like for the young guys who scrounge just so they can race are getting hurt here.
bigragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:01 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
mtveten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,668
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Re: Touring Car Pricesr

Quote:
Originally posted by bigragu
Is it me or are the prices of touring cars becoming like crazy
yokomo belt drive $419
xray $390
corally $420
tamiya $475

what happened when high priced cars were like $280
Look at it this way, I am sure you can remember spending $200 on a ta03 and then adding a few hop-ups every week as they came until you had a $1000.-

If the TA03 was before your time then take a look at The TC3 and XXX-S cars.

The FK TC3 and XXX-S G+ where both in that 270-300 range but when you added the 1-way, sway bars, and other misc required hop-ups you still would end up @ 400.- by the time you hit the track.

Now with Tamiya, Corally and X-ray mentioned above everything needed is included. The required 1-way is standard all the tuning parts to chagnge roll center tow and front arm sweep are included. In addition to everything being included these cars are also built from higher grade materieals such as CF plates compared to plastic or carbon reinfoced plastic, aluminum & spring steel inplace of carbon reinfoced plastic and steel. The tolerances from these manufactures is also tigher producing cars with a far better fit and finish than those previously avialable.

If you look at the current batch of pro cars you will see a wide range of prices. For example:

TC4 225.- ( poor fit, cheap materials requires lots of upgrades. cost is about $400 when race ready )

Yok Sd CGM $260.- ( cheap materials with ok fit, probably the cheapest race ready car available @ about #325.- with required upgrades )

HPI Pro4 $280.- ( best value car on the market with high quality materials where needed and less expensive materies such as carbon reinfoced plastic only where it won't compramise performance ( i.e. gear cases & shaft input cups. ) No hop-ups required but you will need about $50-75 worth of special tuning parts in the form extra shims, spacers and toe blocks to make required adjustments. Fit is on better than the most recent TRF cars and only slightly below that of X-ray & Corally.

Schumacher $290.- ( Mid priced initial starting price with a fit comperable to the CGM yok constructed from slightly better materials. Race ready cost is about the same as the other cars in its class when required tunning and hopups added @ about $350.- by the time you hit the track.

Hotbodies TC est $350.- Well we dont know for sure exactly what it will be but all indicators point to a car with the pro4's fit but with no cost saving materials used. I would assume that the same 50-75 in tuning parts will be required, most likely they will be exactly the same parts you need to add when buying a pro4.

Xray FK05 $400.- Well the price has gone up about $60-70 since last years model but you will nolonger need a hop-up chassis ir to buy the rear camber link mounts seperatly. Sway bars are not included but in my experience they have improved the handeling of the 04 car and are not important with X-ray suspension geometry. the only items you will need to add is an extra package of clips for adjusting tow, wheelbase and such and spring steel stub axles for the front. @ 450 for a race ready configuration its not for everyone but the material quality, fit, finish, and durablity is 2nd to none.

Corally RDX $420.- What can you say its race ready out of the box with no extra needed. Material quality and fit equl to that of X-ray. When comparing to X-Ray the RDX is slightly cheaper, there are no parts shortages and CorallyUSA provides FAR better support and customer service than RC America. On the downside Corally pars are hard to find in hobby shops so you most likely have to order them direct from CorallyUSA and the car is slightly less durable than the FK

Tamiya evo4 MS $460.-
Tamiya 415MS $470.- The TRF series cars are made from quality parts and very competative but @ a higher cost than the other choices. For your extra money you will get a competative car that can also be raced FREE in Tamiya's amature race series. For those not familiar with TCS Race Program, Tamiya holds regional races all over the country where racers can compete for free. All entries get a t-shirt with 1st-3rd in each classes getting a medal and the winner also recieves some kind of Tamiya Car kit for a prize. All those who place in the top 10 in their class at any US regional can then compete in the TCS Nationals in CA where you again recive t-shirt with 1-3 recieving prices and class winners getting an all expense paid trip to Japan to compete in the TCS Worlds. The TCS program alone is worth far more than the extra $50-150 you will pay to race a TRF car compared to any other.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:40 PM   #8
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: princeton, NJ and wall street, NYC
Posts: 514
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to aoizip
Default

mtveten.
nice explanation.

but i don't think the fit and finish of the yokomo CGM is cheap.
as the car is using molded graphite. which makes them looks
cheap? yeah. i know. you have tape the hole before you
thread your screw in, which is a pain in da butt and they don't
look as pretty as CF plates.

all the car mention above are all good car.

just like steve said

"Buy what you prefer, buy what you like as far as features while keeping your budget in mind and I'm sure there is a perfect fit car for everyone out there"

if the QC and material used aren't good and the price is high.
do you think we would spend the money on them?
unless you hype it up.^_^

just what i think. no spray gasline on me and set me on fire plz.
aoizip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:04 PM   #9
Tech Master
 
Soviet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Littleton, CO - USA
Posts: 1,708
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Touring Car Pricesr

Quote:
Originally posted by mtveten
Look at it this way, I am sure you can remember spending $200 on a ta03 and then adding a few hop-ups every week as they came until you had a $1000.-

If the TA03 was before your time then take a look at The TC3 and XXX-S cars.

The FK TC3 and XXX-S G+ where both in that 270-300 range but when you added the 1-way, sway bars, and other misc required hop-ups you still would end up @ 400.- by the time you hit the track.

Now with Tamiya, Corally and X-ray mentioned above everything needed is included. The required 1-way is standard all the tuning parts to chagnge roll center tow and front arm sweep are included. In addition to everything being included these cars are also built from higher grade materieals such as CF plates compared to plastic or carbon reinfoced plastic, aluminum & spring steel inplace of carbon reinfoced plastic and steel. The tolerances from these manufactures is also tigher producing cars with a far better fit and finish than those previously avialable.

If you look at the current batch of pro cars you will see a wide range of prices. For example:

TC4 225.- ( poor fit, cheap materials requires lots of upgrades. cost is about $400 when race ready )

Yok Sd CGM $260.- ( cheap materials with ok fit, probably the cheapest race ready car available @ about #325.- with required upgrades )

HPI Pro4 $280.- ( best value car on the market with high quality materials where needed and less expensive materies such as carbon reinfoced plastic only where it won't compramise performance ( i.e. gear cases & shaft input cups. ) No hop-ups required but you will need about $50-75 worth of special tuning parts in the form extra shims, spacers and toe blocks to make required adjustments. Fit is on better than the most recent TRF cars and only slightly below that of X-ray & Corally.

Schumacher $290.- ( Mid priced initial starting price with a fit comperable to the CGM yok constructed from slightly better materials. Race ready cost is about the same as the other cars in its class when required tunning and hopups added @ about $350.- by the time you hit the track.

Hotbodies TC est $350.- Well we dont know for sure exactly what it will be but all indicators point to a car with the pro4's fit but with no cost saving materials used. I would assume that the same 50-75 in tuning parts will be required, most likely they will be exactly the same parts you need to add when buying a pro4.

Xray FK05 $400.- Well the price has gone up about $60-70 since last years model but you will nolonger need a hop-up chassis ir to buy the rear camber link mounts seperatly. Sway bars are not included but in my experience they have improved the handeling of the 04 car and are not important with X-ray suspension geometry. the only items you will need to add is an extra package of clips for adjusting tow, wheelbase and such and spring steel stub axles for the front. @ 450 for a race ready configuration its not for everyone but the material quality, fit, finish, and durablity is 2nd to none.

Corally RDX $420.- What can you say its race ready out of the box with no extra needed. Material quality and fit equl to that of X-ray. When comparing to X-Ray the RDX is slightly cheaper, there are no parts shortages and CorallyUSA provides FAR better support and customer service than RC America. On the downside Corally pars are hard to find in hobby shops so you most likely have to order them direct from CorallyUSA and the car is slightly less durable than the FK

Tamiya evo4 MS $460.-
Tamiya 415MS $470.- The TRF series cars are made from quality parts and very competative but @ a higher cost than the other choices. For your extra money you will get a competative car that can also be raced FREE in Tamiya's amature race series. For those not familiar with TCS Race Program, Tamiya holds regional races all over the country where racers can compete for free. All entries get a t-shirt with 1st-3rd in each classes getting a medal and the winner also recieves some kind of Tamiya Car kit for a prize. All those who place in the top 10 in their class at any US regional can then compete in the TCS Nationals in CA where you again recive t-shirt with 1-3 recieving prices and class winners getting an all expense paid trip to Japan to compete in the TCS Worlds. The TCS program alone is worth far more than the extra $50-150 you will pay to race a TRF car compared to any other.

You say the TC4 has POOR fit??? Are you high?

I suppose having to trim a little flash off a molded part makes a car "substandard."

Give me a break people. Many folks are getting WAY too spoiled by the "luxury" class cars. Yeah..lots or aluminum and plate graphite may look nice. However it's more prone to tweak/bend, etc.

Aluminum and graphite up the wazoo don't make you any faster or better able to drive a track.
__________________
"You don't get hurt racing little cars..."

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:12 PM   #10
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,586
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

I hope you realize there are situations where it is a disadvantage to have all the options. Nobody uses a one way on carpet, so you have to buy a diff for $35-50 depending on the car.

With a ft tc3 for carpet you need a $30 spring set, sway bars, a set of option arm mounts and caster blocks. That's probably $60 all told.

Or you can buy an Xray and get into the chassis and shocktower of the month club.

I'm not trying to down xray or say the Tc3 was the ultimate , but rather every car has its down and up side. You have to find the car that fits you.
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 05:12 PM   #11
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,355
Send a message via AIM to micros_rock
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by robk

Or you can buy an Xray and get into the chassis and shocktower of the month club.
I think this has become the car of the month club, sad.
It's great having everyone jump on the "it's the newest car out so it must be the best!" bandwagon, because then the previous stuff becomes super cheap. (If you don't believe me, there is a almost new Xray FK for $200 right now in the F/S forum)
micros_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 05:53 PM   #12
Tech Adept
 
Myker*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bay Farm Island
Posts: 95
Send a message via AIM to Myker*
Default

i have to agree that the reason why there is so many different manfuacture cars at so many different prices is because every driver has a different style of driving and they can be best suited to the car of their choice.. of course there are option parts, but if the car just doesn't fit you, then it isn't for you. Especially if it doesn't drive the way you would like to.
__________________
Tamiya Racing Factory
Myker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 06:11 PM   #13
Tech Elite
 
ChrisP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shelby Twp, MI
Posts: 2,046
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Touring Car Pricesr

Quote:
Originally posted by Soviet
You say the TC4 has POOR fit??? Are you high?

I suppose having to trim a little flash off a molded part makes a car "substandard."

Give me a break people. Many folks are getting WAY too spoiled by the "luxury" class cars. Yeah..lots or aluminum and plate graphite may look nice. However it's more prone to tweak/bend, etc.

Aluminum and graphite up the wazoo don't make you any faster or better able to drive a track.
I thnk that he might be referring to the need to drill or ream out some parts of the TC4, while using plastic bags to revove slop in other areas...and needing to shim everything to reduce excess slop...

oh yeah...and removig the flash...

The TC4 handles and performs well...but the fit and finish is somewhat lacking when you compare it to the competition
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 07:31 PM   #14
Tech Elite
 
ChadCapece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: CofC
Posts: 3,313
Default

And plastic stips out, wears out, and breaks more easier than aluminium. It looks like you have never owned an Xray, b/c if you have, then you would remember how easy it is to work on, and how convient the tuning is. TC4 owners, don't jump all over me, b/c I have owned Xray and AE products and Xray is far more advanced. That's just flat out the truth.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 07:38 PM   #15
Tech Elite
 
ChrisP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shelby Twp, MI
Posts: 2,046
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

both my fully hopped up and tricked out TC4's will be sold within the next 2 weeks to make room for an FK05....

I don't care if I have to wait to get it...

looking at what it cost to put the TC4's together likeI have them, it was MUCH more expensive than the Xray as well
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB:touring car Snipesr82 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 6 06-22-2008 11:03 AM
Touring Car Viper212 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 30 05-24-2005 11:49 PM
WTB touring car keddy R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 8 11-28-2004 09:18 AM
Touring Shumacher 99 Nitro On-Road 7 10-20-2004 12:18 PM
Nitro touring for electric touring iflybyu R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 09-28-2003 11:44 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:41 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net