R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-02-2005, 08:19 PM   #16
Tech Master

Do any of you think the pricing trend of touring cars will kill the class? It was originally created to be a cheap parking lot alternative to other forms such as pan car 12th and 10th and even oval. Now all three classes are far cheaper not only to purchase but maintain.
(978) 416-2572
Hyperform Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:41 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Other classes are easier to maintain, but not neccessarly cheaper.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:43 PM   #18
Tech Master

i run 12th and it is far cheaper. oval is a bad example because of tires and the such.
(978) 416-2572
Old 03-02-2005, 08:50 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by TreyDog
Do any of you think the pricing trend of touring cars will kill the class? It was originally created to be a cheap parking lot alternative to other forms such as pan car 12th and 10th and even oval. Now all three classes are far cheaper not only to purchase but maintain.
Touring, like all classes will eventually slow way down.

However, the gigantic circle jerk going on about the chassis of the week will do nothing to help the class.

And yes Pro4, I have owned an Xray. A T1R actually. Good car, however parts support for them at times was horrible and the car was no better / faster than either my Yoke SD or TC3.

Truth be told, all Xrays are to me are glorified HPI Pro2s. The aluminum and graphite is nice, but against all the hype, I and many others KNOW that it is not a necessity. They are opulant and overpriced, not to mention the fact that the hype surrounding them makes many people spend way too much money for far too little performance gain.

BOOM!

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:51 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
i run 12th and it is far cheaper. oval is a bad example because of tires and the such.
Yeah...I run 12th now too...fun little buggers eh?!?

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:54 PM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Soviet
Yeah...I run 12th now too...fun little buggers eh?!?
yes, they're a blast. Cheaper, faster and easy to setup. I've always wondered why the class isn't much much bigger.
(978) 416-2572
Old 03-02-2005, 09:02 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Soviet
Touring, like all classes will eventually slow way down.

And yes Pro4, I have owned an Xray. A T1R actually. Good car, however parts support for them at times was horrible and the car was no better / faster than either my Yoke SD or TC3.

Truth be told, all Xrays are to me are glorified HPI Pro2s. The aluminum and graphite is nice, but against all the hype, I and many others KNOW that it is not a necessity. They are opulant and overpriced, not to mention the fact that the hype surrounding them makes many people spend way too much money for far too little performance gain.

BOOM!
Arn't just about all the cars on the market replicas of previous kits? Find someone at your track with an FK or Evo2 and ask them if you can drive it. They are definantly faster than Yoko or AE, but they are over glorified. 400 is a rediculous price for a rolling chassis, but they will charge that as long as people are willing to buy it. A few years back, everyone at my track had a TC3 or XXX-S. Now we have just one TC3, several Xrays, 415, Pro4, ect...The days of the AE Losi domination are over, and once people realized that, they had to have the high end kits. Well Xray puts a high price tag on the FK and they sell like hotcakes, so they are just testing the limits of the market with the FK05.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:05 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

welcome to marketing 101 folks.
NVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:07 PM   #24
Tech Master

I still want to hear peoples opinions on whether the class will die or not... And what class will benefit due to it's demise. I vote for 12th!!!
(978) 416-2572
Old 03-02-2005, 09:11 PM   #25
Tech Master

i think pro 4's are the way to go. With all the stuff ur getting and all the races its won. It's a well proven car that won't dry up your wallet as musch as a 415 or other plate cars.
axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:16 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
I still want to hear peoples opinions on whether the class will die or not... And what class will benefit due to it's demise. I vote for 12th!!!
Come on, please use sense when you ask loaded questions like that. Of course touring won't die b/c the prices of kits. People will still buy used kits.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:19 PM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Pro4Capece
Come on, please use sense when you ask loaded questions like that. Of course touring won't die b/c the prices of kits. People will still buy used kits.
loaded question? ok champ sure, the class will remain as strong in the long run due to the purchasing of used kits...
(978) 416-2572
Old 03-02-2005, 09:20 PM   #28
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Re: Touring Car Pricesr

Quote:
Originally posted by bigragu
Is it me or are the prices of touring cars becoming like crazy
yokomo belt drive $419
xray $390
corally $420
tamiya $475

what happened when high priced cars were like $280
Man, you read my frickin' mind. I wanted to start a thread about it, but I figured it would just turn into a flame war with crap like "if you ain't got the money get another hobby" and stupid crap like that. At least thats what happens in our area everytime someone questions the cost of this 'hobby'. Maybe thats just where I live...

Anyway....I just don't see what makes these cars so much better than their counterparts priced at $280.

I'm in line for the $369 Losi, but thats ONLY because I had a gift certificate and I'm getting a very good deal on it from a local shop.

Personally, I think its crazy for a rapidly dying class to be blowing up in price like this. $419, $459..., thats just crazy.

It makes me wonder whether the price is for the time, effort, and money it took to design the kit, or for the rapidly expanding Team driver rosters for these companies and the cost to send them all over the world??? That cash has to come from somewhere.

The least these companies can do for these prices is go back to selling the kits with tires and bodies. And don't give me that crap about "well everybody likes to pick their own"....throw in a Mazda 6 and a set of Take Offs 27s, and you got 90% of the people covered!
Old 03-02-2005, 09:27 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
12th was the touring class back in the day. It had its heyday.
And guess what....its still around.
Things just go in phases.
Things just go back and forth.
Just like music.
How many eighties stations are around today? Or remember when swing was the craze a few years back?
Touring wont go away, people will just gravitate to something else for a change but it will always remain.
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:30 PM   #30
Tech Master

I agree scoobydo. I don't think it will die out completely but the class will get much smaller mostly because people will get sick of the costs.
(978) 416-2572