R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Losi 8ight to GT conversion

Hey guys,

I just moved from the midwest where all of my racing was offroad. On a good day I'd run 8th nitro and electric buggy, and possibly nitro truggy (or) 10th scale sct.

Well, I wasn't expecting to be an entirely different kind of racing out west, but since I moved to oregon, it looks like if I wanna do any competitive racing I need to be looking at on-road.

Well, I've got too many losi 8ights to think i'm just going to buy a brand new gt roller. I've gotta see if there's a way to convert one or more of these into road cars. I figure my 8ight e will be the best candidate though it'd be nice to make the nitro a gt guy too.

I've searched the interwebz (via google) for a conversion, but possibly I'm searching wrong. I'm so new to this, the only thing I can figure to search is losi 8ight b to gt conversion. It's not turning up anything.

Hell, maybe I can just find someone who'd be interested in one of the 8ight Ts I have.

Thanks in advance gentlemen,
Skyler
Skylersan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

The path of least resistance would be to convert a L8ight model, but since you didn't list one I guess you don't have one of those...

There are several here who have converted the L8ight model to on road electric and they work pretty well! Long truggy chassis, buggy arms and buggy FRONT shocks front aand rear. Protoform 1/8 GT body is a good fit; there are others. Tony Phalen (RE Driver W coast guy) did one that was documented in RC Driver and possiibly on his site - CompetitionX.com. You will need L8ight model front and rear body mounts along with a few other part switches (firmer sway bars).

There is also some onformation here - find the GT8 thread and there will be set ups and such. I really like mine but it's a work in progress with respect to body roll (probably going to add internal shock limiting) but so far (one weekend of racing) it's been fun.

IF you want to go nitro, there is some information in the IGT forum of the on road nitro section - but you will need to adapt a 2 speed for it to be competitive.

This will get your thought processes going and I"ll try to find some more information tonight or tomorrow (covering BIG dirt oval race here in the KC area).
Old 07-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I race an L8 late model you can use the latemodel bumper and shock mounts to help with your conversion.
I thing Losi would make a great IGT car if there were races in California I would race that class. My L8 handles great in the street when I test and break in motors, I have a asphalt oval painted in front of my house and foam tires the car really likes asphalt!

http://localrcracing.freeforums.org/
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

I can't believe I didn't check back here in so long. Thanks a ton Chris.

To be honest, I thought the nitros I had were two speed (what, with the clutch pads and springs inside the bell) but I could be wrong there.

I've since found some rigged up shit where they just swapped out the rear shock tower for another front, and front springs also on the rear of it, body posts, and the front bumper+pad (or whatever people call that)

I'd like to get a nitro and an electric one up and running, but I'm afraid I'll end up having to sell my fleet to get two competitive gt racers. Driving skill only goes so far if your car ain't got the power or response of everyone yer racing with.

Then again, buying 2 new inferno gt2 seems prohibitively expensive. Gonna check out tony Phalen's page and see what that old boy's gotta say.

Thanks again buddy.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I too had many 8ights so i converted my 8ight e into a GT8. It was a demon!! However they didn't have a class for em' here in NYC. So I looked to make it a 2 speed nitro. I bought a kyosho 2 speed assembly to hack into the chassis but it didn't work out well for me. So I sold it and bought an inferno.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Gonna end up having to sell off my babies and get damn infernos. Need one nitro, one electric. Hell, may keep an 8ight to make it a l8ight in preparation for this winter. Thanks for the tips guys.