R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default !!!!!!! Turbine powered F1 -> Redbull X1 !!!!!!!!

Hey guys I'm beginning a new project. ( didn't really know where to post this thread) Making a Redbull X1! I'm gonna be making a turbine powered (hopefully shaft driven) on an F1 car with a custom covered wheel body. I might even put a fan on the bottom 4 downforce and realistic looks. If any body has any advice I really would love it. Thnx.
Big_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Ok, ill be brutally honest this wont happen as you plan it. At best you can take a regular f1, make a custom body (which will be tough without a vacummtable) and use an rc jet ducted fan as the rear fan.
kb525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to iPearl Send a message via MSN to iPearl

Why not just use a Brushless Motor 4.5t a 3 cell and try to control that in an RC F1 ?
While u at it add Boost Turbo and smart Timing advanced
Old 07-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

I mean a little electric fan on the bottom kinda like the chapparel 2J, and a turbine connected to a shaft or transmission to feed power to the drive train rather than using thrust.

^ Turbine would just be cooler, and more authentic even though the X1 isn't a real car. Lol.

Last edited by Big_B; 07-26-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Tech Adept

but the X1 uses a twin turbo v6. If youre not trolling and honest about making this car just do what i told you. Youll flake out when you see how expensive those turbines are without including the extra things for it to run. And we havent even assesed machinework custom parts and such. Just get a chasis, mke a body, and maybe stick a ducted fan in the back.

I doubt a turbine would be very fast either for a car.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Well the original X1 design is a Turbine engine with a CVT transmission. They had 2 change it so it sounded cool in the video game. And I kno this is gonna b an expensive build but I kno a custom body guy, And I know some1 who's got a machining mill and I kno CAD model. I just don't kno about turbines, or which F1 platform to pick 4 this build. Thinking 1/12th scale btw.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Tech Adept

considering those turbines are the size of a 1/10 size car i dont think 1/12th scale will work very well
Old 07-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

On this subject, I've always thought it would be cool to make a chaparell j2 body for a 1/12 scale with ducted fans in the rear to suck the car down.
jsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

kb stop being such a Debby Downer.

Have fun with this build Big b. You will be surprised what you can do with aluminum and files. You do not always need expensive mills and CNC machines. I have a 1/10th scale snow cat I build from scratch and the only power tools I used was a Dremel and drill. A racers budget and scale model builders budget are not even close to the same. The model builders seem less worried about spending a lot of money.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

If any body knows about turbines can u send me a link to a really small turbine engine. And doin some research on turbines, I might have 2 eat my words and agree with kb525. If any one has any good ideas be glad to hear them? Turbines are expensive as s**t. Thinking about goin 1/10 scale racin instead of a crazy but awesome build.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

http://www.amtjets.com/specs.php

Edit: list of various manufactures
http://waoline.com/detente/hobby/HobbyTurbines.htm

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Sounds like it would be super fun to build. Though I would think in this case bigger scale might end up being easier and possibly cheaper to do. Seems to me sourcing the parts, and building the ones you need would be easier when not having to make such small ones. Plus there is just more room to work. For the body there are quite a few DIY vacuum table plans out there. Would be awesome if done right, albeit a load of work, dedication and funding. I would think if you have any doubt at all that you want to build this, best not to start and just go racing This is probably one of those things you *have* to build much more than you want to.
jrspruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

Thank u jrspruitt for believing in me
I think ur right about the large scale. Ive got some research and some thinking to do 4 sur. But still any advice would still be appreciated.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #14
Tech Elite

You will be looking at 1/8 to be realistic,
Because looking at even the smallest RC Turbine w/o the gear box is already bigger than the internals.

Is it going to be only air driven or are you actually going to have a gearbox to the wheel ?

Your goal is to fit one of these babies into a 12th scale. They make 2 size smaller that work for this project but they are both pushing it to into a 10th scale. You still have to fit the tank and the electronics to give it a cold start.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #15
Tech Elite

This is the gearbox from a helicopter with a jet motor.
And thats with out the electronics.

This would be a smaller direct drive, so you have to re engineer this extra box to have the power go to wheels. I advice some nice tight tolerances else something with ajar LMAO