R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Gearing FWD TC (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/647434-gearing-fwd-tc.html)

fwd25 07-20-2012 07:36 AM

Gearing FWD TC

Hello, in my FF-03 pro I've installed a tamiya super stock RZ motor 23t and in the instructions the recommended gearing is 6.5-7.5:1. My FDR at the moment is 6.8. I'm having heat issues, so I obviously should drop a pinion size, but because the car is two-wheel direct drive, I should be able to run a lower FDR, right?

I'm running a 26t pinion and 68t spur. What should I aim for?

Thanks!

SteveM 07-20-2012 07:43 AM

When I last ran my FF-03 Pro in my club's GT2 class I ran a 92T spur and 51T pinion. My FDR is 4.69 on the nose and I finished 3rd in the A-main. I used the Speed Passion Citrix "Stock Club Race" 17.5BL motor and ESC combination.I wasn't using a fan as the motor was coming off the track still cool to the touch.

addicted2blue 07-20-2012 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by fwd25 (Post 10996422)
Hello, in my FF-03 pro I've installed a tamiya super stock RZ motor 23t and in the instructions the recommended gearing is 6.5-7.5:1. My FDR at the moment is 6.8. I'm having heat issues, so I obviously should drop a pinion size, but because the car is two-wheel direct drive, I should be able to run a lower FDR, right?

I'm running a 26t pinion and 68t spur. What should I aim for?

Thanks!

Those super stock motors can handle a lower FDR then mentioned on the box. I've run the TZ 23T super stock motor (witch i prefer more then the RZ) in my FF-03 PRO and went below 6.0 FDR but that was on a medium outdoor track. The FDR depends on how big the track is, but start a FDR arround 6.0 and go from there.
Cause the more wheelspin you have the less acceleration and more power is lost.
The trick is to find a perfect balance between acceleration and traction.
I've run this year my FF-03 PRO with a tamiya brushed GT Tuned motor against some 14T brushless motors (i was the only one who was using a brushed motor) and managed to finish 2nd overal.
A good car setup with the right FDR is the key to succes.

TwoWheel 07-20-2012 03:05 PM

I've run the Super Stock RZ before and the kit stock gearing for our permanent track make it a bit under-geared.

When you say "hot," are you actually measuring with a temp gun? I've run these things at 180 deg. F with no problems. Unless we're talking temps over 200 deg, I think you are doing fine.

I first gear the car so that it keeps accelerating up to the 2/3 point of the longest straight. Then I make a compromise on whether I'm giving up too much acceleration on the other turns on the in-field of the track.

My opinion on using a taller gear ratio to tame wheelspin is you are giving up too much on acceleration and your motor just can't spin up as well.

Adjust the expo on your radio so that initial throttle tip-in is gentler. At a certain expo setting, the throttle curve feels too unnatural and that is when I go to the initial current settings on the ESC.